Exalted TV series in development

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
    A war story would anchor the show as Solars vs Dragon-Blooded. You get a clear arc. You get definitive reasons why the characters should care. You get clear and present stakes.

What do you imagine an adventure series would be about?

I wouldn't want a series that establishes that the Sword of Ice is secretly held by Sondok's daughter in Nexus. Or a series where the Dawn finds Fist of Titans in the Tomb of Dreams and uses to fight Volfer. I really don't want the show establishing its own canon.

Which is why I like war with the Realm. The Realm is defined, but you don't have to fight Mnemon in Jiara. Because the Realm is defined, and huge, you can fight Ragara Banana in Made-Ups-Ville and still be recognizable as Exalted. How does the High Adventure series differentiate itself as "Exalted" (and not Generic Fantasy Adventure), whilst not treading on other people's games?
    I think it would probably be about character arcs; I think there could be room for war to be part of the themes, but I'd probably prefer to set it in a region of multiple ethnically and culturally heterogenous city states interacting and somewhat "against the Realm", so probably the Scavenger Lands, and I think the Solars would be doing other things primarily, with their own agendas which are a bit more personal and focused on releasing their identity and power, the religions they're founding, the ancient magic they're trying to recover etc. They might eventually end up founding some huge empire that just starts to roll up the peoples in their region. I think war would be more of a backdrop element than its being about a sort of war-of-national-liberation type scenario. I think the Solars would probably be people who go to lengths to conceal themselves from the Wyld Hunt, but whose real identities become known to powerful people, but they have a fair amount of personal agency. Concealing yourself from the Wyld Hunt helps limit the effects budget a bit too.

Like AnubisXY says, I would probably make it non-canonical but the sort of things that Solar Exalted might do. I think there's no need to go fully episodic, since that's not the way people tend to watch television today, but you could have multiple 2/3 episode arcs going on.

EDIT: I would argue that most non-canonical material in art / fiction is generally treated by the fanabse as non-canonical unless it is compatible with the setting's established start time and setting facts. When authors go off and write stuff that in a fiction obviously happened years after the established game start, its treated as non-canonical, while if you have Dace fight Ma-Ha-Suchi or something and its plausibly something that can have happened with no consequence that's compatible with the game start, then that might be treated as quasi-canonical, while if he killed him it would be ignored. Like, it depends.
    Last edited by Ghosthead; 09-10-2021, 02:36 AM.

Comment

How is it treated by the community?
      Like they're not canon? I don't remember anyone ever making an argument like, "Chejop is officially dead, killed by Akuma Scarlet Empress!" Exalted generally isn't a Fandom that gets too caught up in what's canon or not to begin with and I genuinely can't recall any major issues like that.

Comment

I've watched quite a few wuxia as a kid. Barring lots of CGI or cartoons, a live action would be much better if it was limited to just the lower level powers. Dragonblooded as the final boss. More 'mortal martial artists, godblooded, spirits and exigents'

Comment

Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
          Like they're not canon? I don't remember anyone ever making an argument like, "Chejop is officially dead, killed by Akuma Scarlet Empress!" Exalted generally isn't a Fandom that gets too caught up in what's canon or not to begin with and I genuinely can't recall any major issues like that.
          You've never played in a game of Exalted where an Akuma Scarlet Empress killed Chejop? You've never had an Exalted game where the yozi are trying to Reclaim Creation, and the plot involves the Ebon Dragon marrying the Scarlet Empress?

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

You've never played in a game of Exalted where an Akuma Scarlet Empress killed Chejop?
            Nope.
            You've never had an Exalted where the yozi are trying to Reclaim Creation, and the plot involves the Ebon Dragon marrying the Scarlet Empress?
            Nope.

Comment

Whether or not someone's taken the game in that direction for their personal game once doesn't actually prove anything. There's a huge amount of published material for Exalted that exists solely to provide ideas, plots, hooks, and inspiration for stuff to do in your game rather than change the canon "now" of the setting, Stuff that might happen, or could happen, or probably will happen if nobody does anything... because not everyone running the game is going to have a perfect idea on their own and is going to want to ideas.

Most people that I know that play Exalted regularly are more that happy to acknowledge the line between "stuff that's established as happened in the setting" and "stuff that's there to maybe happen in the future, or get completely ignored because we're not bringing it into play this time."

And general audiences at this point are very used to the idea that continuity between different media isn't a thing. If people can handle the idea that there's four different Spider-man movie continuities, a few cartoon continuities, a few video game continuities, and more than a few comic book continuities out there to be consumed right now, they can handle Exalted TV show's continuity not being the same as the canon one in the RPG books.

Comment

You've never played in a game of Exalted where an Akuma Scarlet Empress killed Chejop? You've never had an Exalted game where the yozi are trying to Reclaim Creation, and the plot involves the Ebon Dragon marrying the Scarlet Empress?
                I think more than half of the 2e campaigns I played were either exactly that or ended up turning into that. Like we were off doing something else at the beginning but eventually you had to deal with the Reclamation.

Which might just be isolated to you and me BUT the original developers of 3e stated that they were being adamant that the Yozi absolutely could not escape Hell because they got too much feedback that so many games felt they had to deal with it, so I imagine at least many other people had the same issue.

Comment

No, not here either. But I think part of this will come down to how/when/with whom people play the game. I play with a group of friends. We pick and choose what elements of the setting we engage with based on what we like. Even if all of those things were 100% canon, we would just ignore them if they didn't contribute to our game. There are already canon things in the game that we don't like, and so we ignore them and focus on what brings us joy in gaming. And if there are ideas that are not canon, but we personally wanted to explore those ideas anyway, then we would. We have total control over what we bring into our game; its one of the beautiful things about this hobby in my opinion.

But if I was playing mostly in online pickup games where I don't know the people I'm playing with, and there is some element of the non-canon/fanon metaplot that I don't like, but 90% of them all assume is canon so it keeps coming up over and over, then I can see how that could be frustrating. But at the end of the day, that is still my choice whether I engage in that. And if those 90% are happy to keep the content because they actually like it, then things are working as intended, and it is on me to either accept it, or find another game with people more in tune with my preferences, or run my own where I can leave out the things that bother me so strongly. If the 90% keep including that content even if they don't like it either, then I don't know how to answer that - why keep something they don't like in their imaginary game world? It makes no sense to me, so I have no suggestions there.

Comment

3e doesn't stop you from having the Scarlet Empress be an akuma and her from killing Chejop. It doesn't stop you from running a game where she and the Ebon Dragon get hitched in a plot to reclaim Creation. 3e just says that plot isn't going to go the way the Ebon Dragon wants it to go even if he wins.

The issue with the Reclamation was that it wasn't just a possible future for Exalted. 2e's lore let it boil over into everything so it became the dominant issue of the setting (at least to the players' and GMs' perspectives reading the books), and all of the other plots out there got ignored. Everything important got tied to the Reclamation, even via retcons, to reveal the "true" reasons behind other events. It needed to get cut because it wasn't just some possible "What's the worst case scenario for the near future of the setting?" but a plot hook that spread to be an underlying setting element in late 2e.

Which is all a fundamentally different issue that having a TV show that doesn't follow the same continuity of the RPG books.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post

I think more than half of the 2e campaigns I played were either exactly that or ended up turning into that. Like we were off doing something else at the beginning but eventually you had to deal with the Reclamation.

Which might just be isolated to you and me BUT the original developers of 3e stated that they were being adamant that the Yozi absolutely could not escape Hell because they got too much feedback that so many games felt they had to deal with it, so I imagine at least many other people had the same issue.
                      It was half the reason everyone griped with RotSE's metaplot. Which is also what happened a lot on other wod games.

Check my Exalted homebrew!

Comment

Hmm, well according the Site they're presently planning the story to take place in the East, or at least East of the Blessed Isle depending on how you read "East of the realm", so I mean we've got the Scavenger Lands, 100 Kingdoms, a massive amount of forest, and two of the major territories that belong to ancient and powerful Lunars. (To name a few major set pieces we have a decent enough amount of word count on for this edition.) So some fun angles to approach just from direction, with some other things depending on the more specifics of the direction and how close they want to be to the center. I mean you want to do a psuedo cosmic horror thing, start far enough away that wandering into the border marches is viable.

Comment

Only the former is really a plot point that originated in RotSE. The latter has been the obvious intent for why the Scarlet Empress was missing since early 1st edition and I think the main thing that made people hold off from telling that story at their own tables was the lack of mechanical support for the 50 missing Solar Exaltations.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

Plug for the Sword of Creation forum, a new hub for Exalted related content

Comment

Scion... would work really well. Onyx Path is an indie company (in the sense that Jack Black is an indie actor). The Scion team has a clear vision, and that vision is fit for TV. It's riding high on the back of American Gods and the MCU. You don't have to compromise the setting to have a show that American and Chinese audiences will lap up (providing the superhero censorship thing doesn't get any worse). Definitely will watch, but not expecting anything groundbreaking.

Exalted... Exalted... has Raksi serving up human babies at meal times. It has dinosaurs peeing heroin. Exalted has Manacle and Coin. Are you gonna put the game that published Houses of the Bull God on Netflix? The protagonists rip out human hearts and drink the blood before summoning demons. You're going to get the Exalted mythology past the CCP censorship board? You're going to get American, mainstream audiences, to watch a show that put a transman on its lead 3E book (and a black woman front and center before that)? Or you're going to pander with the gameline that pushed out Scroll of Swallowed Darkness? The right and the left will tear this show apart with manufactured outrage.
                            Have you read ancient mythology? They got up to some pretty messed up stuff in it, to say the least. If that can be written around then they could certainly do the same for Exalteds less then kid friendly aspects if need be. I honestly think they can do a pretty good exalted story while keeping it PG-13 anyway, it isn't like heroin pissing dinosaurs and Raksi's dinner habits are integral setting info relevant to every single story to be told in the setting. And if they have to work in 'objectionable' content while seeking a PG-13 rating then they can always do the tried and true 'shadows behind a curtain' method of only sort of hinting at things that showing directly on screen would get them slapped with an R rating over. Of course, they could always just go for broke and eat an R rating like Game of Thrones did.

Exalted Whose Name is Carved in Leaves of Jade

Senator of the Greater Chamber

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
                              Only the former is really a plot point that originated in RotSE. The latter has been the obvious intent for why the Scarlet Empress was missing since early 1st edition
                              Absolutely agree. It's in the Chapter Fiction for Exalted: The Dragon-Blooded.

But that's my point. Not that RotSE was bad (I really enjoyed it), but that Exalted fans compulsively consume metaplot.

But I've said my piece. I don't want to labor the point.

Originally posted by Mizu View Post
                              I honestly think they can do a pretty good exalted story while keeping it PG-13 anyway, it isn't like heroin pissing dinosaurs and Raksi's dinner habits are integral setting info relevant to every single story to be told in the setting.
                              Sure, but if you market Exalted as a family friendly show, then you are going to get more backlash from armchair bloggers.

And, really, do you want Exalted as a PG13 show?

I think going R is the way to do the universe justice, but, again, it makes it difficult to gain mainstream appeal. Which, again, isn't necessary but it's an obstacle.

When I think "Exalted", I think of a mature setting. A setting that deals with empire, slavery, genocide, infanticide. A setting which doesn't shy away from sex and drugs. A setting where you summon demons to do your bidding and rip out human hearts to drink the blood of your prey. Mountains of corpses. Eldritch horrors. The "base" assumption is that you are playing a Solar who has to hide from the Wyld Hunt -- how far can you tone down refugee escaping genocide from the government?

You could make a PG13 show and call that show "Exalted". I don't think you could make a show about Exalted that's suitable for 13 year olds.

But, again, I'm really trying to not be a downer and to participate respectfully in this conversation. Please feel free to rebutt my points but I'm gonna mute this thread because I don't want to denigrate this idea... but I sincerely think that this is a bad idea, and it's really hard for me to convey what I mean in a productive manner.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

So.... what you're saying is that we need something like Game of Thrones? But with less tastelessness?

Comment

Working...
                                X