The Google Docpocalypse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Google Docpocalypse

On September 13th there will be a security update to Google Drive that will change many of the url links on forums and discord etc. This has the potential to lose some of the more extensive fan content that people have made in the last few years if the original creator is no-longer an active participant in the community.

I intend to going to revisit this on the 14th with some links to where useful content has been re-hosted.

Thank you for your time. Hopefully the title proves to be an exaggeration.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

Plug for the Sword of Creation forum, a new hub for Exalted related content

So as someone who has tools and resources that I have built in Google docs and sheets and want to keep them available, do I need to reshare links after they are changed by Google or some other step in the meantime?

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
    I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

Thank you for the new thread Lioness.

Yes, please share all the new urls for anything you don't want to purposely bury. If everyone shares on this thread here, then it'll double as an Ultimate Homebrew Hub. Er, actually maybe that should go in a new thread with a better name.

I am also on a mission to download ALL the google docs with Exalted material, because Google is weird and dumb and incompatible with the Wayback Machine, so I can't just save the docs online. I would like to just upload them all to my own Google Drive for sharing, but obviously I don't have permission from anybody who made these things. So... I will be preserving as many as possible, but not sure about an appropriate way to make them available again. Actually I already have a ton of other peoples' stuff on my Google Drive, and don't even know who made a lot of them because not everybody signs their work. >.<

I'd really like suggestions for how to handle this, actually. I'm assuming that not every single person will share the new links. For example, when I asked Maudova for permission to access their Fivefold Dragon Paths they didn't even remember they had that online.
      Last edited by Erinys; 09-01-2021, 07:37 PM.

She/Her. I am literal-minded and write literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to make a joke.
      My point of view may be different from yours but is equally valid.
      Exalted-cWoD-ArM url mega-library. Exalted name-generators, Exalted and WTA stuff from me and others.

Comment

Question. I have several urls of google docs of homebrew from other people. Are they going to work after this?

Comment

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
          Question. I have several urls of google docs of homebrew from other people. Are they going to work after this?
          The impression I have is that some of them will and some of them won't. If you want it save it.

Comment

The notice I got from Google said that some random urls would change. There's no way to predict which will change, so yeah download everything you want access to.

She/Her. I am literal-minded and write literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to make a joke.
            Exalted-cWoD-ArM url mega-library. Exalted name-generators, Exalted and WTA stuff from me and others.

Comment

Google notified me of this, but the only things changing on my end were just a few old family pictures. I think all my links should work still.

Read my shit at my homebrew topic, 2.5e and 3e material!
              Play Alchemical's in 3e now, you're welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandact6 View Post
                Google notified me of this, but the only things changing on my end were just a few old family pictures. I think all my links should work still.
                Yeah, you were one of the people I was least worried about as you've always been pretty attentive towards your shared content.

Comment

Sandact6, the urls won't change until the 13th.

Comment

Originally posted by Erinys View Post
                    The notice I got from Google said that some random urls would change. There's no way to predict which will change, so yeah download everything you want access to.
                    You can tell which files will be affected in your own Google Drive. It doesn't affect Google Docs or Sheets, but it does affect other file types like pdfs and images. I have a folder that I've shared to the public and everything in that folder is unaffected since it is set to public. But pdfs and images in private folders that I've individually created shared links for are affected.

Instructions on how to see which of your files are affected can be found here: https://support.google.com/drive/ans...te_drives_user

Comment

Originally posted by Erinys View Post
                      Sandact6, the urls won't change until the 13th.
                      Yea but Google said that only told me that a few items would change. I'll double-check just to be sure tho.

Read my shit at my homebrew topic, 2.5e and 3e material!
                      Play Alchemical's in 3e now, you're welcome.

Comment

Thanks to Lindharin for the link. If those instructions prove to be correct, all of my tools and links will continue to work after the update.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
                        I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

OK I gotta read that. Thank you Lindharin.

Anyway, if that proves incorrect at least I've downloaded a whole library of homebrew. I've spent a lot of time rushing through it. I didn't want to see more Exalted libraries burned down.

Edit: It says that Google Docs and Google Sheets are unaffected. But other all document and spreadsheet formats (Microsoft, Open Office, etc.) ARE affected (at random). So are folders. Some of my public folders will be changed.

The good news - if I understand correctly - is the urls won't change drastically. It looks like old, invalidated urls may still lead to a page to request access, rather than a 404 error. I hope.
                          Last edited by Erinys; 09-08-2021, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Well, I saved nearly every url I had . I'll post a list once Lioness starts a thread for it.

Does anyone have a copy of the Scroll of Sorcerous Enlightenment? It was deleted from Dropbox a while ago. There was also another 2E Sorcery rewrite deleted from Dropbox, and Maese Mateo's Terrestrial Exaltation Rules.

Comment

Working...
                            X