Artifact Creation resource costs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artifact Creation resource costs

The game rules are somewhere on the far side of vague on this subject. Would you consider the mundane materials of an artifact to cost more than those needed to make a conventional item of the same sort? A daiklave requires iron, carbon (in the form of coke or charcoal most likely), and possibly some other alloying elements sufficient to make a large sword. A power bow requires wood and lacquer, possibly exotic, and in the case of a composite bow, various other materials. In your view, is that enough for the base?

Well a conventional item of the same sort is often going to be a good deal smaller for a start, so that might account for some of the reduced cost.

I think it would be a fair idea for the mundane materials of creating an Artifact to be of a fairly high quality, and perhaps on occasion need some even more discriminating qualities or circumstances, so as iron stock produced on an auspicious day or something. The kind of thing that might up the price if vendors recognise that something with smaller supply is demanded.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

I tend to agree that you'd need mundane materials of a high quality, and possibly refined using special methods. The mundane materials that go into a jade daiklave (really a jade-steel alloy of course) probably will cost a lot more than the materials for a normal steel sword, even before accounting for the fact that the daiklave needs more material because it's larger.

Probably nowhere near as much as the jade or the other exotic materials involved, though (assuming you can even put a price tag on some of those). Or the services of an artisan who can actually make a proper daiklave. (Unless there's a severe iron shortage, or someone is really screwing around with the markets in your region, etc.)

Comment

So, firstly, remember you need magical materials to make an artifact. As in exotic ingredients, at least, if not exotic ingredients and some of the five six magical materials.

I'd say that if you have adequate magical material, you don't need, in the strictest sense, mundane material at all. I'd say it's probably easier to get iron and carbon and make a jade-steel blade than it is to carve a blade out of solid jade. I'd say most artifacts use mundane materials. But I wouldn't call mundane materials "necessary" to the process.

With that in mind, I'd say the mundane materials typically used in a typical artifact usually have a Resources cost equal to the level of the artifact. Some will be cheaper. Others more expensive.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
          So, firstly, remember you need magical materials to make an artifact. As in exotic ingredients, at least, if not exotic ingredients and some of the five six magical materials.

I'd say that if you have adequate magical material, you don't need, in the strictest sense, mundane material at all. I'd say it's probably easier to get iron and carbon and make a jade-steel blade than it is to carve a blade out of solid jade. I'd say most artifacts use mundane materials. But I wouldn't call mundane materials "necessary" to the process.
          I'd agree that you can do this if you want. But making an artifact purely out of the magical materials is probably overkill unless it's a really powerful artifact or there's some other specific reason for it. (Maybe if your new daiklave is intended to manifest the purest expression of fire possible, you'd make the thing out of solid red jade? That sounds like it could be dangerous, though. Even Volcano Cutter has a couple other materials in the mix.)

If you're making some Artifact 3 weapon, making the thing out of pure magical material (plus some exotic ingredients of course) is probably needless extravagance. But you can do it if you want to (and can afford it)! I imagine an artificer in the Realm doing this would be looked at askance for "wasting" valuable jade, though. Not that this would stop some people.

Comment

I see it more of, you want to make a sword, right?

So you make a hilt of orichalcum, and cast a mold from the bones of an ancient dragon, then get a firmin to fill that mold with their black demon ichor. Then you press your hilt into the ichor and lift forth a blade of radiant darkness.

It's not a solid orichalcum sword. But it doesn't have any mundane material in it.

Or, say you want a jade-steel sword. The iron for the steel can come from the horns of furnace rhinos and the carbon can come from the dreams of an earth elemental. Or you could use feathersteel ignots minted in the lost forges of Bagrash Kol.

One of Cynis Ganan's artifacts is made from a bough of wood from an enchanted grove, and two rings of jade each about the size of a quarter. It's not some uber power artifact, it's Artifact 2. It doesn't use a lot of jade. But it doesn't have any mundane material.
            Last edited by JohnDoe244; 09-14-2021, 03:23 PM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

That all sounds pretty reasonable to me.

I think it's reasonable to say that creating an artifact will "typically" involve a cost of Resources (Artifact rating). Even if there's no mundane material in the artifact itself, you'll probably need an excellent workshop and the best quality fuel for your forge you can get, right? (Unless you've got Craftsman Needs No Tools, but having actual tools still helps with that Charm.)

But then, whatever makes the story fun and interesting is what's important. If your Circle has already journeyed to the deep Wyld, pulled out an angry dragon's tooth and deboned a behemoth to get materials for your new daiklave, is it still interesting to quibble over the price of bituminous coal?

I mean, maybe it is. If your Eclipse merchant buddy is in full Recettear mode, engaged in a long-term battle of market manipulation with the local Guild factor, bilking those slaver bastards out of the best materials available might actually be an interesting story. If so, go for it. If not, don't worry too much about that part.

Comment

And don't forget that Resource costs are kind of deliberately vague and squishy anyway. The background is more about your standard of living, capital assets, and cashflow. If you've gotten enough magical materials together for your artifact, you're probably not going to be held back by a single, measly Resources X purchase.

Comment

Working...
                X