Project Update #62: Five Charms Are The Time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CycloneJoker View Post

Fair enough that it's not Momentum then, but otherwise that statement doesn't entirely follow. If Pressure WERE Momentum, surely there's any of a thousand other ways Hamoji's Chosen could be made distinctive? Moot point though, in any case.
    "build up, dramatically make a huge attack" is good for everyone so making a mechanic that does exactly that is not the intent or execution
    Last edited by kongurous; 05-23-2014, 04:39 PM.

A Green Sun Destrier

Comment

EDIT: Never mind, I see what you're saying now. But yeah, just trying to spark discussion in good faith.
      Last edited by CycloneJoker; 05-23-2014, 04:43 PM.

"Won't you believe in him? Even if there is no God, or Buddha...there is still Kamen Rider." —Taki Kazuya, Kamen Rider SPIRITS

Now...count up all your sins.

Comment

EDIT: Never mind, I see what you're saying now. But yeah, just trying to spark discussion in good faith.

A Green Sun Destrier

Comment

Originally posted by Tiresias View Post
          All-Seeing Master Procurer
          This is like a gigantic plot magnet. You can use it to get a meeting with someone who doesn't know you (smart people tend to be picky with their fixers), hook a mark or make a quick buck by offering your services as a proxy for certain deals. It's a great charm to set up a broader action.
          Not only that, look at what it does to its (apparent) prerequisite.
          "Okay, my finely-honed merchant savvy tells me we can make a hundred thousand dinars but only if we transport this pandafish to Chiaroscuro today."

Comment

Originally posted by Guancyto View Post
            Not only that, look at what it does to its (apparent) prerequisite.
            "Okay, my finely-honed merchant savvy tells me we can make a hundred thousand dinars but only if we transport this pandafish to Chiaroscuro today."
            Solar Recette Lemongrass, here I come.

"Won't you believe in him? Even if there is no God, or Buddha...there is still Kamen Rider." —Taki Kazuya, Kamen Rider SPIRITS

Comment

The fluff on Angle-Tracing Edge seems to contradict the mechanics. As written the charm, so far as I can tell, will function even if your opponent doesn't attack.

Comment

These Charms are all cool, but I have some trouble reading what is requirements and what is just fluff for in some cases. I suppose I'll get used to the 3e expression when the book finally comes.

Dex Davican wrote: I can say without exaggeration or dishonesty that I am the most creative man ever to have lived

Comment

Penumbra Self Meditation
                  Very interesting. I expected to see this sort of effect in Integrity. It makes things harder for anyone trying to get their hooks into you, but it's not perfect. Seems highly appropriate for an Essence 2 charm.
                  I think it's Socialize because it's meant to fool people, not protect your Intimacies. It's awesome when you want to hide your secret affair with the Queen's consort, keep people at court from knowing who your real allies are, prevent someone from realizing you hate his guts, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ParanoiaCombo View Post

One of the basic functions of the new Social System is not just manipulating intimacies, but the discovery of them and/or your ability to obscure them. So this would be something you could model using the new system.
                    Ok. I'm just a bit worried on how this could potentially expand the amount of info that the ST (and the players, to a lesser extent) would need to keep track of, in addition to if it is possible for the PC to discover Intimacies that might have been lost before the PC even met the NPC. I suppose this will make quite a bit more sense once the book comes out, and we can read all the details of the system this interacts with, though.

Fake Edit:
                    I REALLY wish they could fix the json.txt posting bug on this forum. It has really discouraged me from posting.

If you want to play Thomas Edison, you'd better be up to the task of carrying all of civilization through the Renaissance and Industrial Revolution, while the Sidereals and Dragon-Blooded are shooting at you.

Comment

Originally posted by semicasual View Post
                      Also, I forsee a lot of fun involving Clever Bandit's Rook.
                      Guard: "Do these jewels belong to you?"
                      Night Caste: "Yes."
                      Guard: "You were bringing them out of that house."
                      Night Caste: "It's my house."
                      Guard: "Then why were you going out through the window?"
                      Night Caste: "The front door is stuck."
                      It's also full of potential to substantiate a disguise. Whip out a police badge, convince everyone it belongs to you. "Of course I'm a part of your secret society! See this symbol I have that I totally didn't steal from someone else after brutally murdering them?"

All in all, pretty excited about those social Charms. Congrats to the devs.
                      Last edited by Kazorh; 05-23-2014, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Another issue with Angle-Tracing Edge a friend pointed out to me: It sounds like it could be interpreted as a perfect attack against targets in full cover

"If used against a target in full cover, unless deemed impossible by the storyteller, the attack finds its mark."

I'm willing to bet this isn't the intent, so the writing there might need to be changed.

Comment

Another issue with Angle-Tracing Edge a friend pointed out to me: It sounds like it could be interpreted as a perfect attack against targets in full cover

"If used against a target in full cover, unless deemed impossible by the storyteller, the attack finds its mark."
                          "...but is made as if she had attacked from long distance."

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to actually read what the Charm does before they use.

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
                          [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
                          [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

Comment

"...but is made as if she had attacked from long distance."

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to actually read what the Charm does before they use.
                            To be fair he mentioned that bit of it too, making the guess that it perhaps made the attack do less damage or with a smaller pool of dice but that clause didn't seem (to him) to lessen the potential interpretation of an auto-hit.

Comment

What would you use this for besides convincing people that you're a qualified professional merchant?
                              Merchant is a little generic/specific for what the charm does from it's description. Information Broker. Assassin Contact. Guild Fixer. Mercenary Contact Point.

How would someone resist this effect if they wanted to?
                              What is there to resist? It doesn't cause people to do anything. Do you walk up to attractive people and scream that they're ugly? Are you going to walk up to the guy that seems like he would have contacts and scream that he's an ignorant nobody because.... well, because you're insane would likely be the common assumption.

And, most importantly, could you still fake being a Master Procurer without using this charm?
                              Is there a difference between being the shadowy guy in the corner of of the inn that might be a quest giver and being the very obvious quest giver who's very nature exudes "get yer MMO questin' here!" to the point where they have a floaty exclamation point above them?

Odd_Canuck is not a topical medication or food product and is not to be taken internally or seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Jorlem View Post

Ok. I'm just a bit worried on how this could potentially expand the amount of info that the ST (and the players, to a lesser extent) would need to keep track of, in addition to if it is possible for the PC to discover Intimacies that might have been lost before the PC even met the NPC. I suppose this will make quite a bit more sense once the book comes out, and we can read all the details of the system this interacts with, though.
                                I suspect you'll find common sense (shocking I know to use that term in Exalted) will cover the vast majority of it. Someone uses the charm on your dig up your old intimacy of X. Well, is it reasonable that you ever had that or anything like it? If so bing! if not bong!

Odd_Canuck is not a topical medication or food product and is not to be taken internally or seriously.

Comment

Working...
                                X