The Martial Arts Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Martial Arts Thread

For general discussions of Martial Arts and spoiler begging about 3e Styles.

To start with, let's see if we can get TDO to tell us which styles they're using.

Have they revealed which styles will be in the core book?

Comment

Well the devs haven't said the KS backers changed their minds, so I presume it's locked now. It's probably too late to change

Tiger, Snake and Righteous Devil were guaranteed before KS.
      Heaven's Ladder and Single Point were added by the KS.
      Black Claw, Crane, Ebon Shadow, White Reaper and Silver-Voiced Nightengale were from KS backers.
      DPC was from the poll.
      Last edited by Siven; 11-03-2013, 12:39 AM. Reason: Heaven's Ladder not Heavenly Ladder

Comment

My main hope is that the MAs all play nice with each other, to the extent that they can. I want to be able to play someone who picks up elements of Muay Thai, boxing, and kung fu and have it all blend together into a beautiful science of brutality.

Comment

I will probably continue writing nutty stratospheric pool of water themed styles, and translate my existing ones into 3E.

Comment

I know it's a futile hope, but I'd love to see an official Orichalcum Chef Style. =3

Beyond that, I'm really just hoping that Righteous Devil is still awesome.

"The true object of all human life is play. Earth is a task garden; heaven is a playground." -G.K. Chesterton

Comment

I'm looking forward to making a crazy-awesome martial arts master with a half-dozen styles for 3e, but at the same time I'm jazzed about Solar Brawl as well. Because punching down a wall and hurling the guy on the other side through an army of extras is something I wanna do RIGHT by.

Comment

Originally posted by Siven View Post
                Well the devs haven't said the KS backers changed their minds, so I presume it's locked now. It's probably too late to change

Tiger, Snake and Righteous Devil were guaranteed before KS.
                Heaven's Ladder and Single Point were added by the KS.
                Black Claw, Crane, Ebon Shadow, White Reaper and Silver-Voiced Nightengale were from KS backers.
                DPC was from the poll.
                This is correct.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by Fabricati View Post
                  My main hope is that the MAs all play nice with each other, to the extent that they can. I want to be able to play someone who picks up elements of Muay Thai, boxing, and kung fu and have it all blend together into a beautiful science of brutality.
                  John and I came up with a mechanic last week that made it a lot easier to flow between multiple styles. There's also some mechanically hard-coded points of interaction—like, this morning, I rewrote Snake Strikes the Heel a little bit to make sure it'd be compatible with one of Crane's new counterattack charms.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                    John and I came up with a mechanic last week that made it a lot easier to flow between multiple styles. There's also some mechanically hard-coded points of interaction—like, this morning, I rewrote Snake Strikes the Heel a little bit to make sure it'd be compatible with one of Crane's new counterattack charms.
                    Noritaka is a reality.

Comment

My characters and palyers thank you for this. Anything to make it easier and cooler to play a martial artist with multiple styles.

This one is for all my Exigents...

Comment

Originally posted by MegaZarak View Post
                        Have they revealed which styles will be in the core book?
                        TDO posted the following on the other forum:

Originally posted by TheDementedOne
                        My friend and forum user Lula described a number of real world martial arts styles in the soup joke. I guessss I could use the same format to describe the corebook styles...

• The Snake stylist delivers a withering flurry of fang strikes to the surface of his soup, disrupting the flow of chi across the meniscus of its surface tension before finally taking a sip using his spoon. Then he takes a moment to suck on his badly scaled fingertips.

• The Tiger stylist waits for the soup to flee from his menacing offense. After a few minutes of the bowl of soup taking no action to retreat, he gets annoyed and smashes it to the ground with a claw strike, then laps it up.

• The Righteous Devil stylist takes a long, long moment to glare at the soup, and finally pronounces it innocent. He saddles up and rides off into the sunset, looking for another town, and another souphouse.

• The Single Point Shining Into The Void stylist picks up his spoon from the napkin and manages to spoon the entire bowl of soup into his mouth in a single motion.

• The Heaven's Ladder stylist insists on eating his soup with a ladder rather than a spoon. Somehow, this works.

• The Black Claw stylist swallows a spoonful of soup before blowing on it, and makes a great display of how his tongue has been burnt. The hearts of everyone in attendance go in sympathy out to the Black Claw stylist, and they curse the wicked soup that would scorch so fair a tongue!

• The Crane stylist waits for the soup to make the first move, passing the time by idly discussing philosophy with his meal. After a few hours, everyone else is done and ready to go, but the Crane stylist has found the soup to have a rather charming and insightful personality.

• The Dreaming Pearl Courtesan stylist is too busy murdering someone with a razor-edged silver spoon to properly attend to her soup—by the time her victim's corpse has been disposed of and the unfortunate flecks of scarlet scrubbed from her kimono, it's gotten entirely too cold!

• The Ebon Shadow stylist hides under the table, and takes spoonfuls out of everyone else's bowls of soup.

• The Silver-Voiced Nightingale stylist manages to reach a pitch that shatters his bowl, and sends the soup flying in every direction. He manages to catch every droplet in his mouth before a single one hits the ground. When soup moves, he moves—just like that!

• The White Reaper stylist orders a dozen bowls of soup, and chugs them down one after another with a terrifying ferocity.
                        I assume most, if not all, of these styles are making it into the Core.
                        Last edited by BrilliantRain; 11-03-2013, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Very cool.

Are there any styles you think will compliment each other very well? I'd think Black Claw would do well wither either Ebon Shadow or Dreaming Pearl, but I don't actually know.

Comment

New avatar, TDO? But, there's two in it! Which one is you?

Comment

If Black claw is similar to what it was like in 2e, it's a magic poison style - so it synergizes with passive/counterstrike styles. First you get a black claw hit in and their health starts ticking away and then you turtle up. In other words, it synergizes best with crane style. Black claw also makes onlookers believe you didnt start the fight, even if you did, and make them loathe your opponent for fighting you ;..;

Its marvellous. I am so happy it made ex3 core ^^
                              Last edited by Drecain; 11-04-2013, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X