Charms From My Favorite Primordials: Elloge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charms From My Favorite Primordials: Elloge

Man, I love Elloge. So. Damn. Much. Can't tell you why, but I do.

I've always intended to make an Elloge charmset at some point (most of the ones I've found leave me wanting), but I've never really had the time or motivation to do so.

So instead, as 3e looms, I'll post some charms for my favorite Primordials... while character can still take them.

Insignificant Injury Ignorance
    Cost: – (2m, 1wp); Mins: Elloge 0, Essence 2; Type: Permanent
    Keywords: None
    Duration: Permanent
    Prerequisite Charms: Wounds Unforgiven

A hero is never brought low by insignificant blows; the sword-blows from a mere bit player never scar.

Upon learning this Charm, the Infernal is immune to all Crippling effects derived from a source they do not have an Intimacy towards; only their loved ones and their hated enemies can truly harm them.

At Essence 3, this Charm automatically upgrades; the Infernal may negate Crippling effects from sources they do have Intimacies towards; this costs 2m, 1wp, and gives the Infernal a cosmetic mutation representing the attempted effect. This Mutation is considered a Wound for the purposes of charms with the Wound keyword.

Additionally, it may be Repurchased at Essence 3; doing so allows the Infernal to pick a cosmetic mutation that metaphorically represents the injury they received. These Mutations are not necessarily even a part of the Infernal; a lacerated throat might become a red silk ribbon worn around the neck, and a punctured eye might become an eye-patch. Doing so alters the false Intimacy created by Wounds Unforgiven from (Disgust) to (Pride).

One thing that always stuck with me about Elloge is that I've seen several stories and such where He Who Bleeds The Unknown Word's Fetich-death is described as castration. And then there is the fact that, in many works of fiction, heroes don't have scars that don't mean something. Ergo, a way to only have significant scars.

You might also notice the Wound keyword; it stems from one of her root charms, Wounds Unforgiven. I'll write it up in a little bit, but basically it gives you both a boost and a drawback for being subject to Crippling or Sickness effects.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

No reason you won't be able to homebrew 2e infernals into 3e. Depending on how I feel about 3e after I actually read the book, I'm strongly considering trying to organize/work on a 2e infernal rewrite. (3e infernals are far enough down the line. Might need to wait for Exigents though.)

I definitely like the visuals of the effect, particularly the essence 3 upgrade. Hard to relate to the balance issues since this might end up being de-facto immunity to crippling effects forever depending on how Elloge charms deal with pushing intimacies on you. (I can't think of many times I've ever taken a crippling effect from someone I've had an intimacy toward in a game). That's a shame because the secondary effect is interesting.

Not sure on wound keyword. Also the phrasing cosmetic mutations for things that don't necessarily mutate the body reads a little strange. Not sure if mutation is the right word for what you're doing with it, but also not sure what might be better. The only thing I could think of would be to change it from cosmetic mutations into a cosmetic crippling effect that's only result is to be visible. If your Elloge keys off crippling for things like Wound that might be a neater resolution, but it's hard to see from one charm.

All in all a bit hard to evaluate at present, but definitely a fun concept that whets the appetite. I'm curious to see more.

Comment

Working...
    X