Maps and cake! (but mostly maps)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LeTipex
    started a topic Maps and cake! (but mostly maps)

Maps and cake! (but mostly maps)

I like maps.

It isn't a secret for anyone here that I love maps, and like making and perusing them. Before the forum change, I had opened up a thread where people would ask me to make maps for their games, and I'd try do do something nice for them.

After that, my computer crashed and burned, and I had a bit of trouble re-installing photoshop on it (and then my tablet stopped working and I moved around the world for a year or so) so I stopped.

I'm back in France now. Photoshop is working, I have a brand new tablet : it's time to make maps again. Here is most of what I've done on a computer (you can click on the images to get the link to the deviantart picture) :

Maruba, the universe of the Desert at the Center of the World.

The Pillars of the Sky, a weird area in the southeast of Creation

The South-West Cadran, done for an Exalted campaign

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    Thanks again for everything you've done. Your work finds new ways to impress me, seemingly every day.

Leave a comment:

• LeTipex
    replied
    I'm not taking map requests for the foreseeable future. To understand why, see here.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    That looks really nice.

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    I wanna thank you again - this is genuinely wonderful work.

Leave a comment:

• LeTipex
    replied
    Originally posted by LeTipex View Post
    For TheCountAlucard, the Tomb of Sweetlea, Eclipse Caste Solar

And since TheCountAlucard asked for a bit of explanation of what I put in there, here's a bit of contect on the map (in bold, parts that were specifically asked for) :

The Tomb of Sweetlea :

The tomb of an Eclipse Caste Solar, built in the Underworld, meant to act as a museum of his life and deeds as well as to house his body. Sweetlea, also called Kenning Quill and the Scribe of Honey, was a far-ranging negotiator and one of the earlier explorers into the Underworld. He authored treaties between man and spirit, man and man, and spirit and spirit, and was known for having brokered an agreement between a human tribe and a colony of intelligent bees.

One of his greatest friends (or possibly lovers) in life was a Sidereal named Pseudanor, a non-binary Chosen of Serenity. When Pseudanor died, Sweetlea made grand elaborate sacrifices that ensured Pseudanor would live on like a king in the lands of the dead. In turn, when Sweetlea died, Pseudanor's ghost approached the Sidereals requesting permission to create Sweetlea's tomb. Pseudanor repurposed the golem Sweetlea had constructed for them to operate the elevator in the tomb.
    Thus, the mausoleum is also called Pseudanor's Gift.

While the tower itself is in the Underworld, the entrance of the tomb is a great stone portal in Creation.

General map structure :

At the top is a representation of the resting place of Sweetlea's body, entombed in a block of obsidian, and the floor is decorated by an immense mosaic depicting many of his legendary deeds. The title of the map in Old Realm is writen immediately below : PSEUDANOR GIFT (with a cartouche saying SERENITY)

On the left side, the six other floors are depicted, from the penultimate floor to the bottom floor, along with an illustration of the door as it looks in Creation (Old Realm : DOOR)

On the right side, one can see the whole structure, with the central screw-like elevator shaft and the topmost floor decorated in gold (with an Eclipse caste mark marking the resting place of the Solar), and a small illustration of the old stone golem powering the elevator. (Old Realm : GOLEM)

The Floors:

- The first floor : (No old realm sign, bottom right)
    This floor is designed to look like a treasure room, guarded by stone serpents,with a bronze and orichalcum door, and artifacts laying on top of a massive treasure trove. However, the floor is a trap, and anyone touching the treasure will find the massive doors closing behing them as the room floods with deadly black liquid and skeleton snakes start pouring out of the mouth of the statues.

- The second floor : (EXALTATION, bottom left)
    The first room displays object and pictures from Sweetlea's mortal life, along with a great statue of his mother. The second room, decorated with stone icons honoring his first deeds (a tradition of his culture), centers around a massive portrait depicting the circumstances of his Exaltation.

- The third floor : (LOVE, middle right)
    This floor depicts Sweetlea's passions : jewelry made by his own hands, the harp he played, the throne he carved out of a gigantic pink ruby, plants he cultivated or created, paintings of friends and places he enjoyed, and a mysterious and massive sarcophagus of grey marble protected by sorcerous sigils. Behind a blue curtain, a small exhibit is dedicated to his lovers and depicts scenes of lovemaking and intimate correspondance.

- The fourth floor : (FAMILY, middle left)
    The first rooms showcases busts of his wives and husbands, and the other are dedicated to his lunar mate, children and to Pseudanor himself. Once again, we find marble statues, stone icons depicting the deeds of his progeny (including one made out of blue jade, honoring his Air-Aspected daughter), along with a model of his palace and family portraits.

- The fifth floor : (WAR, top right)
    Here, painting of great battles adorn the walls, and the room hold treasure that many in the Age of Sorrow would go to war for : the orichalcum daiklave he wielded in combat, armors of orichalcum and blue jade, along with a rack of other powerful weapons. On one side is the table that held the war council of his circle, with maps and the broken daiklaive of a mad general displayed prominently. On the other, a sorcerous map of Creation is linked with a sorcerous portraits, switching slowly between the battles he fought or ended. (The map depicts Creation as it currently is, and images of the battles fought outside its current frontiers glitch and shatter in strange ways.)

- The sixth floor : (TREATIES, top left)
    The first room is dedicated to his treaty with the bee-people, with part of a hive made out of beeswax displayed on the wall, along with the original treaty and the quill and seals used to write it. A orichalcum icon he commissioned for this occasion is also visible, along with a pot of imperishable honey. Other rooms are dedicated to his other treaties, presenting summaries of the negociations he went through or gifts he received (a banner of voices from Berengiere, a blue jade panther, a golden statue of a powerful celestial god, a marble stela commemorating peace agreements, quills and specific inks and reagents, etc...)

Leave a comment:

• LeTipex
    replied
    For TheCountAlucard, the Tomb of Sweetlea, Eclipse Caste Solar

Last edited by LeTipex; 03-01-2019, 12:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    I just want to pop in again and say how much my group loves the Okeanos map. I'm waiting to surprise them with the "Reborn" one until a certain story arc resolves.

Leave a comment:

• LeTipex
    replied
    Originally posted by Clophiroth View Post
    This is awesome. I am doing a campaign on the West, and would really like to use your archipielago and islands maps as a basis!
    By all means do so!

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    How did you do the font for this?
    The two main fonts I used are XXII Arabian Onenightstand and Arabic Magic. You can find and download them on dafont (it's a hella good ressource), just follow the links!

Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
    Note that anyone who wants to do cartography for official Exalted publications should send in some samples via the Onyx Path art submission page:

http://theonyxpath.com/art/
    *urge to sent samples rising...*

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    Also, I've finally worked out how to put pictures on this forum, so I kind of wanted to start a thread asking people to show off maps they'd made for their games. But then I saw this thread.
    LeTipex, would you like other people to put maps on this thread, or would you rather I made a new thread so you can just have yours on here?

Also, what programs do you use to make your maps? (They're much better than mine)
    Any advice?
    I'd rather keep this thread for my own maps I think? (I know I haven't posted in a while, but... work and life and health being what they are, I've had precious few free time to work on maps in the past year, alas, except for quick sketches) I would love to be linked if you end up opening such a thread tho.

As for how I do it... I usually start by doing a quick sketch on paper, followed by a first linework that I scan. The rest (color, details, names and decorations) I do on photoshop. There are nice brushes lying around the net (the ones I had a bit of fun with are StarRaven's Sketchy Cartography), but your work ends up looking a bit samey if you keep on using them, so the more I work on it, the more I end up doing things by hand. The very best tutorials I've seen are either done by Djeskspek's on deviantart, on Jonathan Robert's blog (the official cartographer for Game of Thrones), or on the cartographer's guild forum if you need really specific and technical tips.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Also, I've finally worked out how to put pictures on this forum, so I kind of wanted to start a thread asking people to show off maps they'd made for their games. But then I saw this thread.
    LeTipex, would you like other people to put maps on this thread, or would you rather I made a new thread so you can just have yours on here?

Also, what programs do you use to make your maps? (They're much better than mine)
    Any advice?

Leave a comment:

• Eric Minton
    replied
    Note that anyone who wants to do cartography for official Exalted publications should send in some samples via the Onyx Path art submission page:

http://theonyxpath.com/art/

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Originally posted by LeTipex View Post
    And here is TheCountAlucard's map of the Neck and Solid Shell :

As usual, click on the map to be carried away to deviantart, where you can dl the original file.
    How did you do the font for this?

Leave a comment:

• Clophiroth
    replied
    This is awesome. I am doing a campaign on the West, and would really like to use your archipielago and islands maps as a basis!

Leave a comment:

• LeTipex
    replied
    Originally posted by Simon Darkstep View Post
    Still doing maps? I've been looking for a way to get a zoom of an area near Goldenseal, that I can work on.
    I really can't right now (I've got a few ongoing projects of my own, and I'm doing a complex map for Wise Old Guru). But I'll keep you posted as soon as I'm free!

Leave a comment:

• Simon Darkstep
    replied
    Still doing maps? I've been looking for a way to get a zoom of an area near Goldenseal, that I can work on.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X