Maps and cake! (but mostly maps)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LeTipex
    started a topic Maps and cake! (but mostly maps)

Maps and cake! (but mostly maps)

I like maps.

It isn't a secret for anyone here that I love maps, and like making and perusing them. Before the forum change, I had opened up a thread where people would ask me to make maps for their games, and I'd try do do something nice for them.

After that, my computer crashed and burned, and I had a bit of trouble re-installing photoshop on it (and then my tablet stopped working and I moved around the world for a year or so) so I stopped.

I'm back in France now. Photoshop is working, I have a brand new tablet : it's time to make maps again. Here is most of what I've done on a computer (you can click on the images to get the link to the deviantart picture) :

Maruba, the universe of the Desert at the Center of the World.

The Pillars of the Sky, a weird area in the southeast of Creation

The South-West Cadran, done for an Exalted campaign

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    I just want to pop in again and say how much my group loves the Okeanos map. I'm waiting to surprise them with the "Reborn" one until a certain story arc resolves.

Leave a comment:

• LeTipex
    replied
    Originally posted by Clophiroth View Post
    This is awesome. I am doing a campaign on the West, and would really like to use your archipielago and islands maps as a basis!
    By all means do so!

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    How did you do the font for this?
    The two main fonts I used are XXII Arabian Onenightstand and Arabic Magic. You can find and download them on dafont (it's a hella good ressource), just follow the links!

Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
    Note that anyone who wants to do cartography for official Exalted publications should send in some samples via the Onyx Path art submission page:

http://theonyxpath.com/art/
    *urge to sent samples rising...*

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    Also, I've finally worked out how to put pictures on this forum, so I kind of wanted to start a thread asking people to show off maps they'd made for their games. But then I saw this thread.
    LeTipex, would you like other people to put maps on this thread, or would you rather I made a new thread so you can just have yours on here?

Also, what programs do you use to make your maps? (They're much better than mine)
    Any advice?
    I'd rather keep this thread for my own maps I think? (I know I haven't posted in a while, but... work and life and health being what they are, I've had precious few free time to work on maps in the past year, alas, except for quick sketches) I would love to be linked if you end up opening such a thread tho.

As for how I do it... I usually start by doing a quick sketch on paper, followed by a first linework that I scan. The rest (color, details, names and decorations) I do on photoshop. There are nice brushes lying around the net (the ones I had a bit of fun with are StarRaven's Sketchy Cartography), but your work ends up looking a bit samey if you keep on using them, so the more I work on it, the more I end up doing things by hand. The very best tutorials I've seen are either done by Djeskspek's on deviantart, on Jonathan Robert's blog (the official cartographer for Game of Thrones), or on the cartographer's guild forum if you need really specific and technical tips.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Also, I've finally worked out how to put pictures on this forum, so I kind of wanted to start a thread asking people to show off maps they'd made for their games. But then I saw this thread.
    LeTipex, would you like other people to put maps on this thread, or would you rather I made a new thread so you can just have yours on here?

Also, what programs do you use to make your maps? (They're much better than mine)
    Any advice?

Leave a comment:

• Eric Minton
    replied
    Note that anyone who wants to do cartography for official Exalted publications should send in some samples via the Onyx Path art submission page:

http://theonyxpath.com/art/

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Originally posted by LeTipex View Post
    And here is TheCountAlucard's map of the Neck and Solid Shell :

As usual, click on the map to be carried away to deviantart, where you can dl the original file.
    How did you do the font for this?

Leave a comment:

• Clophiroth
    replied
    This is awesome. I am doing a campaign on the West, and would really like to use your archipielago and islands maps as a basis!

Leave a comment:

• LeTipex
    replied
    Originally posted by Simon Darkstep View Post
    Still doing maps? I've been looking for a way to get a zoom of an area near Goldenseal, that I can work on.
    I really can't right now (I've got a few ongoing projects of my own, and I'm doing a complex map for Wise Old Guru). But I'll keep you posted as soon as I'm free!

Leave a comment:

• Simon Darkstep
    replied
    Still doing maps? I've been looking for a way to get a zoom of an area near Goldenseal, that I can work on.

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    Originally posted by Exthalion View Post
    This is amazing and I never realized how much I wanted it until I saw it.
    So what can I say except you're welcome
    For the islands I pulled from the sea?

(Nah, but seriously, thanks to LeTipex!)

Leave a comment:

• Exthalion
    replied
    Originally posted by LeTipex View Post
    For TheCountAlucard, a map of the continent of Okenaos, raised from the bottom of the ocean and reborn into Creation.
    This is amazing and I never realized how much I wanted it until I saw it.

Leave a comment:

• Leetsepeak
    replied
    That's flippin rad.

Leave a comment:

• LeTipex
    replied
    For TheCountAlucard, a map of the continent of Okenaos, raised from the bottom of the ocean and reborn into Creation.

Leave a comment:

• norraba
    replied
    Ah I've not heard of that but very interesting, it makes sense that there would be a Malay script incorporating Arabic letters considering the majority of the worlds muslim population is south East Asian.

Leave a comment:

• The MG
    replied
    Going by the PM LeTipex sent me back when the map was fresh, it's not Arabic at all, but Malay, written using an Arabic script called Jawi.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X