[Ex3] Speculated Lunar Charms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Ex3] Speculated Lunar Charms

Following Tiresias' example, because I am also bored.

Attention-Demanding Presence (Appearance)
    Without making any overt action or sound at all, a Lunar shouts with her very being to announce her presence. All characters within a particular radius become aware of the Lunar's exact location, even if their usual senses cannot perceive her. All affected characters are compelled to relocate such that they are capable of watching or listening to her, and then to silently and peacefully pay attention to her until she begins to perform, speak or otherwise communicate. The effect cannot compel characters to place themselves in danger or any particularly awkward positions, and they decide how quickly they wish to relocate. The compulsion effect is broken if the Lunar herself moves with any urgency or initiates combat.

Notes: Lunars walks into a noisy city square, pops this Charm, waits for an audience, then turns the stage over to her Solar partner with his Respect-Commanding Attitude. Or she just launches into her own performance and captivates their attention in some other way.

Observed Prey Instinct (Perception)
    As long as this Charm remains active, the Lunar becomes instantly aware whenever anyone is focusing his attention upon her, though she does not automatically discern who he is, where he is, how he is observing her, or why. The Lunar does know exactly how many individual creatures are observing her at any given moment, and which of the creatures she can perceive are among those paying attention to her.

Notes: Definite synergy with Attention-Demanding Presence; you make everyone in the area turn their eyes toward you, and then count up all the observers you can't detect. Of course, for a Lunar trying to fly under the radar, OPI can be used by itself. An upgrade would extend the effect to include non-character observers like cameras and other animate sensors she's triggering. A different upgrade would allow the Lunar the chance to discern where unnoticed observers are in relation to her, or from what vantage point someone is remotely watching her (whether by spell or video camera).
    Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 06-11-2014, 12:00 AM.

formerly Tornado Wolf, formerly Inugami

When we have the Lunars book, I'm going to read it and see what kind of feel they're going for with the charms, how they work and all.

Then I am going to try and port Pumpkin Chariot Prana into Ex3 because that charm is simply too awesome to let vanish.

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
      When we have the Lunars book, I'm going to read it and see what kind of feel they're going for with the charms, how they work and all.

Then I am going to try and port Pumpkin Chariot Prana into Ex3 because that charm is simply too awesome to let vanish.
      I'm certain that any Second Edition Charm Lunars don't get will be found in the Getimians and Liminals. And we don't even know about the unnamed Exalted Host that is supposed to complement the Lunar Exalted.

Comment

In light of Robert Vance's Moon-Graced Gunplay Method / Winged Volley Marksmanship

Sinuous Striking Grace (Dexterity)
        For the rest of the Lunar's action, this Charm also completely negates the Accuracy penalties for Sweeping Attacks (Exalted, p. 153) as well as for swinging a long weapon within a confined space (Scroll of the Monk, p. 156) -- this does not enhance the Accuracy of the attack itself, however. This Charm also reduces the external penalties of any kind of Brawl- or Melee-based Called Shot (Exalted , p. 158) by 2, except for Fierce Blows. This Charm may also be used with natural weapons, allowing Lunars in the forms of tyrant lizards to bite their prey through openings that ought be far too small.

Body-Breaking Kata (Strength)
        This Charm represents a mastery of using greater size, reach and strength in combat, increasing the rate at which momentum is acquired against smaller opponents and reducing the rate at which it is lost. This Charm is ineffective against opponents of similar size, and puts the Lunar at a far greater disadvantage against an opponent of greater size.

Dust Devil Advance / Running Through The Herd (Dexterity or Wits)
        This Charm allows a Lunar to move with grace and cunning through throngs of enemies, using their superior numbers against them. This Charm is ineffective when the Lunar is fighting too closely to his own allies or is wearing a shape as massive as his foes are numerable, and puts the Lunar at a far greater disadvantage against a solitary opponent. (May only work against battle-groups, while failing against any distinct individual enemy.)

The Gnat In The Giant's Eye (Dexterity or Wits)
        This Charm represents a mastery of using smaller size against larger opponents in combat, particularly the unknown "Gambit" mechanic that allows heroes like Spiderman to fight opponents like the Juggernaut. This Charm is ineffective against opponents of similar size size, and puts the Lunar at a far greater disadvantage against a smaller opponent.

Comment

Well, I was going to follow Tiresias' example and post at least one Charm per day, but then I went in for laser eye surgery. Which was terrifying, but the results are proving worth it.

So let's celebrate with a whole batch of Manipulation Charms.

Hide of the Cunning Hunter
          --- Perfect Symmetry
          --- --- False Invulnerability
          --- --- Fake Endurance
          --- Shaping the Ideal Form / Changing Plumage Mastery
          --- Masking the Brilliant Form
          --- Shifting Penumbra Stance
          --- One of the Herd
          --- Subtle Chameleon Practice
          --- --- Inexplicable Lunar Wonders

Hide of the Cunning Hunter (Manipulation)

Conceal distinguishing marks and cosmetic disfigurements.

Perfect Symmetry (Manipulation - follows Hide of the Cunning Hunter)
          Conceal crippling disfigurements and obvious wounds. Observers get a chance to see through this disguise every time they witness you performing an action which suffers from a wound penalty or missing body part, but – as per the previewed Abyssal Charm, Incorruptible Beauty – the Exalt can suffer no Appearance penalties that are not the result of Charms or magic that directly affect her Appearance. This Charm must be invoked once per individual wound, with more grievous wounds incurring larger costs.

False Invulnerability (Manipulation - follows Perfect Symmetry)
          Inflict your attacker (and possibly any witnesses) with horror if you immediately used Perfect Symmetry to make it seem as if the attack which just struck you inflicted no damage at all.

Fake Endurance (Manipulation - follows Perfect Symmetry)
          You preternaturally conceal any signs of sleep deprivation, exhaustion, hunger, thirst, shortness of breath, or low mote pools.

Shaping the Ideal Form / Changing Plumage Mastery (Manipulation - follows Hide of the Cunning Hunter)
          Alter cosmetic details, including gender, build, apparent age, voice, and scent.

Masking the Brilliant Form (Manipulation - follows Hide of the Cunning Hunter)
          Disguise one's Castemark and anima banner to appear as a different Lunar Caste or a member of a completely different Exalted Host.

Shifting Penumbra Stance (Manipulation - follows Hide of the Cunning Hunter)
          The Lunar ignites her anima to the bonfire level, warping her body and heroic spirit to remove all distinguishing traces. Insufficiently perceptive observers are completely incapable of determining the Lunar's nature or identity, for all that the Lunar cannot even attempt to hide her presence. Her voice and scent also become completely indistinct. However, this Charm does nothing to affect the memories of those who have already observed her features.

One of the Herd (Manipulation - follows Hide of the Cunning Hunter)
          A more restrained trick than Shifting Penumbra Stance; so long as the Lunar's anima does not flare, anyone who observes her will be completely incapable of recalling any details about her voice, scent or appearance, even if she was the only lizard woman in a crowd of mortal men. Witnesses will only remember her words and actions.

Subtle Chameleon Practice (Manipulation - follows Hide of the Cunning Hunter)
          By paying a mote surcharge, the Lunar may treat any disguise Charm as though it had the Mute keyword..

Inexplicable Lunar Wonders (Manipulation - follows Subtle Chameleon Practice)
          By paying a mote surcharge, the Lunar may treat ANY Charm as though it had the Mute keyword, and insufficiently observant witnesses are convinced there is some plausible reason how the Lunar accomplished the feat without Anathema magic.
          Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 06-22-2014, 12:26 AM.

Comment

It occurs to me that combining the wound-concealing effect of Perfect Symmetry into Hide of the Cunning Hunter would make the Charm roughly equal to the similar Alchemical Charm, Integrated Artifact Transmogrifier. But Alchemical Charms are supposed to be big and powerful... though part of that is provided by Submodules...

Comment

Okay, Manipulation is deception, whether malevolent or benevolent or neither. And Charisma is sincerity.

I'm recalling what Holden said: If Solar Charms tend to express "I can", Lunar Charms tend to express "I am".

Thus, Lunar social influence Charms based on Charisma will be all about total honesty. The Lunar cannot use them to deceive, exaggerate, or otherwise convince anyone of anything that he doesn't believe.

So in return, he can use Charisma Charms to convince people he is definitely absolutely telling the utter truth.

LORE-SPEAKING METHOD
              No matter how absurd the claim, no matter how rude the delivery, no matter how unsightly the Lunar's grooming or alien his form, the Lunar speaks the truth as best he understands it, and is believed. Yes, your father the king used to be a woman beggar on the street before I helped her. Yes, the girl down the street really is worth falling in love with. Yes, despite appearances, this sword really is worth that bargain. Yes, the task I am persuading you to pursue really isn't as dangerous as you've been led to believe. Yes, despite appearances, I really can and will rip your face off if you take one more step.

The force of the Lunar's earnestly declared truth is so powerful that those exposed to it more strongly resist social influences which attempt to deceive and confuse them. More than one poor village has been murdered in holocaust to destroy the heresy that the Silver Anathema are not demons.

The Lunar may use this Charm on himself to better help herself defend against liars who can make coal seem white, though it doesn't help for remembering starry-eyed trouble-makers after they've gone.

CHARISMATIC LUNAR TRICK
              The stronger the Lunar believes, the stronger his arguments. The Lunar adds a number of dice to his social influence roll, equal to the intensity of his most relevant Intimacy.

BROTHERHOOD OF LAKE AND RIVER
              As an upgrade to Charismatic Lunar Trick, if the Lunar is reaching the target through an Intimacy of hers which matches his own, or if she is currently in the grips of the same strong mood that holds the Lunar in its sway, she increases any penalty derived from that Intimacy or mood for the purposes of refusing his influence. If the target resists the Lunar's social influence using an Intimacy opposed to the Lunar's own, reduce the bonus that the target would normally gain.

IT'S A PROMISE
              Whether swearing salvation or revenge, the strength of the Lunar's honesty binds himself to do as he says. He creates in himself a Principle for that task, with an intensity equal to the challenge, and he cannot voluntarily rid himself of that Principle until his work is completed. In the meantime, his beneficiaries derive hope and his opponents derive fear from the sure knowledge that the Lunar will not stop until he has fulfilled his word.
              Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 06-29-2014, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Inspired loosely by the recent Maleficient movie. These are all Charisma Charms, preferably with minimal progression in Charisma minimums but with a conventionally-progressing Essence minimum.

Silver Blood Infusion *
                --- Finding the Spirit's Shape
                Erudite Beast-Mind Expansion
                --- --- * Sharing the Gifts of Luna
                --- --- --- Blossoming Gift of Luna

Silver Blood Infusion
                The Lunar automatically and harmlessly gains the Heart's Blood of his familiars, and those Hearts' Blood are constantly updated within the Lunar's library as the familiars develop and grow. Additionally, the Lunar may gain the Heart's Blood of others through the actions of his familiars.

Finding the Spirit's Shape (follows Silver Blood Infusion)
                The Lunar treats a chosen familiar's form as an additional true shape, and gains an additional Deadly Beastman Transformation based on that form. He may purchase this Charm multiple times, but may benefit in this fashion from no more than (Essence / 2) familiars at a time. Familiars enhanced with Sharing the Gifts of Luna must be chosen before any other familiars.

Erudite Beast-Mind Expansion
                The Lunar's familiar becomes at least as intelligent as a small child.

Sharing the Gifts of Luna (follows Silver Blood Infusion and Erudite Beast-Mind Expansion)
                The Lunar's familiar may assume the Lunar's own true human form or a war form based on its own shape or the Lunar's spirit shape. Only familiars benefiting from Erudite Beast-Mind Expansion may be enhanced by this Charm. Familiars targeted with Finding the Spirit's Shape must be chosen with this Charm before any other familiars.

Blossoming Gift of Luna (follows Sharing the Gifts of Luna)
                The Lunar's familiar may assume any form within the Lunar's Heart's Blood library.

I'm actually on the fence about Sharing the Gifts of Luna needing to follow after Silver Blood Infusion.

Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 07-12-2014, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                  And we don't even know about the unnamed Exalted Host that is supposed to complement the Lunar Exalted.
                  Hm what is this?

"Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

"Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                    I'm certain that any Second Edition Charm Lunars don't get will be found in the Getimians and Liminals. And we don't even know about the unnamed Exalted Host that is supposed to complement the Lunar Exalted.

I'm curious... has this unnamed Exalted type been formally announced, or is this just from that thread earlier that suggested every Exalt type has a pairing (Sidereals -> Getiman, Solars->Infernals, Abyssals->Liminals, Lunars->?) Personally I always thought Chimera fit the bill there, even if they could really use a major rewrite. I always liked the idea that the polar opposite of a Lunar was a Lunar who had lost control.

Comment

Originally posted by Ejtaka View Post
                      I'm curious... has this unnamed Exalted type been formally announced, or is this just from that thread earlier that suggested every Exalt type has a pairing (Sidereals -> Getiman, Solars->Infernals, Abyssals->Liminals, Lunars->?)
                      Mostly right, in the sense that some of the new splats are meant to compare and contrast with the "core" 5, helping to give sharper definition to what they are. That said, I'd change the second one to "Solars->Abyssals and Infernals." Infernals seem to be covering the sorcerer-king angle, but Abyssals are still providing some heavy compare-contrast to Solar themes as well, just as they always have. I think it's good to emphasize that Abyssals are pretty much already serving this purpose* because, while the new splats are meant to better define the core splats, that's not all they are. They're still splats with their own unique themes and playstyles that don't need their "foil" splat in the game to be enjoyed.

* Yes, their portrayal has had some bumps in the road, which shall hopefully be smoothed in the coming edition. Just noting the idea itself isn't new.

Personally I always thought Chimera fit the bill there, even if they could really use a major rewrite. I always liked the idea that the polar opposite of a Lunar was a Lunar who had lost control.
                      Putting aside my negative feelings toward 2e's Chimera,** I think it is good to have a "foil" splat as something different than that. I feel it attaches them too strongly to Lunars, and it's in keeping with the development goals that the Creation of EX3 feels bigger than we knew it to be. I'm very much looking forward to seeing something new.

** They pretty much were just big ol' blobs of murderous crazy toward which the only sane response was "kill it with fire." I don't think this is news to you, since you specified they'd need a major rewrite, but I find it's helpful to identify my biases. I have an intense gutborn aversion I'm trying to work around, here.

Also, man, I just realized how much I wish the KS spoilers had revealed the splat that compares/contrasts with Lunars instead of the one for Sidereals. Getimians sound awesome and I'm really looking forward to them, but if there's any existing splat in need of having its themes clarified, it is Lunars.
                      Last edited by Gaius; 07-12-2014, 04:17 PM.

The EX3 What We Know Wiki, courtesy of Marin and JMobius
                      Nishkriya, the EX3 Freelancer Quotes Tracker, courtesy of Anathema and Moonwolf
                      The White Wolf Forum Archive, courtesy of The Dark Wizard and Sanctaphrax (see its Patreon)
                      Arrghus: There's also the Shepherd of the North Star, busily guiding the one thing in all the heavens that doesn't move.

Comment

Hide of the Cunning Hunter
                        --- One of the Herd
                        --- --- Clover Can't Be Found
                        --- --- Forgetful Victim Prana

Sheep's Clothing Attitude

One of the Herd (follows Hide of the Cunning Hunter)
                        A more restrained trick than Shifting Penumbra Stance; so long as the Lunar's anima does not flare, anyone who observes her will be completely incapable of recalling any details about any voices, scents or appearances she displayed while under this Charm's effect. Even if she was the only lizard woman in a crowd of mortal men, witnesses will only remember her words and actions. EDIT: The effects of this Charm come into play after the scene is over. Any witnesses will recall any of the Lunar's previous appearances, voices or scents they observed if they encounter them again in any fashion; this includes even second-hand encounters, such as another character asking if they have met anyone meeting a matching description, or seeing a wanted poster.

Clover Can't be Found (follows One of the Herd)
                        Witnesses forget the Lunar's distinguishing features as soon as they take their eyes off of her. This doesn't work if they can listen to the Lunar's voice at the time. Characters capable of detecting the Lunar's scent also cannot be fooled unless the Lunar manages to banish her scent from the area.

Forgetful Victim Prana (follows One of the Herd)
                        The Lunar makes it more difficult for witnesses to be reminded of her features in any future encounters.

Sheep's Clothing Attitude (Appearance)
                        The Lunar acts as if she naturally belongs in her current surroundings and means absolutely no harm or mischief. This Charm does nothing to hide her presence or features, but she may breeze past alert guards without interrogation or inspection because they see no reason at all to suspect or fear her. Affected characters can recognize their folly in retrospect, but may also see through this deception immediately if others bring the strangeness to their attention. This Charm ends if the Lunar takes any blatantly hostile or mischievous action, such as reading a weapon, lock-pick or worrisome bucket of paint. Characters who recognize the Lunar and bear at least a major tie towards her are especially resistant to this Charm.

I see Sheep's Clothing as an Appearance Charm rather than Manipulation because it isn't entirely about honesty or deception; for the most part, that's how I'm distinguishing Appearance Charms. Because a Lunar can be completely sincere about passing through an area without causing any harm, but may also use this Charm to cause lots and lots of trouble, it's not a Charisma or Manipulation Charm.

Also, an Edit to Shifting Penumbra Stance -- just because people can't distinguish any of her features any more, that doesn't mean they can't recognize her from moment to moment. If she vanishes from sight only to reappear, witnesses will recognize that she's the same creature. Every time she talks, they know it's the same creature talking. Her scent also remains a valid way to track her, even if the hounds have no idea what they're hunting. Tracking her by her footprints is possible, but they first have to correctly guess that those prints belong to her when they cannot remember the shape of her feet or the weight of her body.

On the other hand, it's generally impossible to distinguish between two different Lunars using this Charm at the same time.
                        Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 07-13-2014, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X