Exalted Themed Magic Cards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sanctaphrax View Post
    Maybe you could have it return to the library. Exaltations don't always return quickly, after all. And maybe when the enchanted creature dies, you could enchant another creature immediately.
    The exaltation doesn't actually have a Charm effect. It just changes a creature type. And creature types simply can't be that valuable. As you have it here, I'd call the exaltation too weak to play even for 1 less mana. Unless you're planning to abuse it, never actually casting it and just using it for endless discards.
    Returning to the library is probably a good solution.

But I think we have to disagree on the bolded point. The Charm and Sorcery mechanics both push a strong 'Creature Type Matters' theme.
    Now, it's *grossly* parasitic. It would be a fun novelty cube or something, but would not play well in the general populace.

You think he's RG? Why?
    The Boar That Twists the Sky? The one that shatters and tears down in reckless joy? The one that is basically a force of nature rampaging about in hell?
    Because I expect the Gruul Clans would see Isidoros and go 'FUCK YEAH MORE LIKE THAT!'.

I dunno, he feels very RG to me.

My Storyteller Vault releases!
    Sorcerous Ways: Mystic Martial Arts - Punch people for magic power!
    These Mean Streets - Advise and systems for street-level punk-noir Vampire larp

Comment

I just found out about Theros and Bestow. Yeah.

For those unfamiliar, Theros has a bunch of cards representing gods whose type is given as Enchantment Creature. They have an additional mechanic called Bestow, which allows you to cast them as Auras instead of creatures. Yes.

So, anyway... I think the Yozis each need a card per Shintai.

Just as a brainstorm

Adorjan, the Splintered Gale: A 5/5 Yozi Demon costing [7] with Bestow [9], Indestructible, Haste, Trample, and First Strike; when she comes into play, put either a 5/5 Yozi Demon token or a copy of the enchanted character with none of their abilities into play. Enchanted Creature gains +5/+5, Haste, Trample, and First Strike.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

Silver Sand's Edge
        Land

Silver Sand's Edge enters the battlefield tapped.
        Tap: Add (W) to your mana pool.
        (1)(W) Tap: Tap target creature.
        Even the fastest simhata cannot cross the Endless Desert in less than five days.

Word-Wrought Skypaths
        Land

Word-Wrought Skypaths enters the battlefield tapped.
        Tap: Add (R) to your mana pool.
        (1)(R) Tap: Deal 1 damage to target creature.
        Along Jacint's roads travel all manner of demons - and the Silent Wind

Verdigris Towers
        Land

Verdigris Towers enters the battlefield tapped.
        Tap: Add (G) to your mana pool.
        (1)(G) Tap: Target creature gets +0/+2 until end of turn.
        The citizens of Malfeas are always searching for shelter from its rains of stone and acid

The Equitable Market
        Land

The Equitable Market enters the battlefield tapped.
        Tap: Add (B) to your mana pool.
        Tap: Sacrifice a creature. You gain (2)(B)
        Many things are available at the Equitable Market, but the payment takes only one form.

Whispering Ravine
        Land

Whispering Ravine enters the battlefield tapped.
        Tap: Add (U) to your mana pool.
        (1)(U) Tap: Look at two random cards in target opponent's hand.
        She Who Lives In Her Name's souls know many secrets

"They" is an excellent gender neutral pronoun.
        Avatar adapted from art by Cordell Felix http://cordellfelix.com/

Comment

Originally posted by wastevens View Post
          But I think we have to disagree on the bolded point. The Charm and Sorcery mechanics both push a strong 'Creature Type Matters' theme.
          I get that. But having the right creature type can never be super-powerful. Changelings exist, mistform creatures exist, plenty of ways to acquire any creature type exist. These effects put a ceiling on the power a creature type can have. And besides, making every Exalt overcosted to accommodate their tribal effects is lame.

Comment

Had an odd idea just now...

Resplendent Destiny U
            Enchantment - Aura
            Enchant Creature
            When Resplendent Destiny enters the battlefield, draw a card. Then choose target creature.
            Enchanted creature has the same name and the same creature types as the chosen creature. The "legend rule" doesn't apply to enchanted creature or to any creature with the same name as it.

No idea whether this works rules-wise, but it seems fun to me.

Any ideas on how to handle Alchemical cities? They seem a bit like lands and a bit like creatures and a bit like planeswalkers. Maybe they'd work as double-faced cards?

Comment

Any ideas on how to handle Alchemical cities? They seem a bit like lands and a bit like creatures and a bit like planeswalkers. Maybe they'd work as double-faced cards?
              It's been a good decade or so since I played, but i'd treat them as higher end creatures that can also be tapped for lands as apart of their ability set.

Comment

Lux, the Illuminated Capital
                Legendary Artifact Creature Land - Human Construct
                As Lux, the Illuminated Capital enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you pay 4.
                T: Add {R} to your mana pool and put a +1/+1 counter on Lux.
                2R, T: Lux fights target creature.
                6/6

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Staff of the Paragon
                  (5)
                  Legendary Artifact - Equipment
                  Staff of the Paragon is indestructible.
                  Equipped creature has "Tap: Gain control of target creature for as long as this creature is equipped with Staff of the Paragon."
                  Equip 1

Comment

Chejop Kejak, Harbinger of Ages
                    2(U)(U)(B)
                    Legendary Creature - Human Sidereal Exalt
                    First strike.
                    When Chejop Kejak comes into play, Fateseal 3, then Scry 3.
                    4/2

Hrmmm he's actually pretty hard to do... not happy with this because W/U usually have lower power than toughness rather than the other way around. Maybe he should be U/B instead?

Edit: yep gonna make him U/B.
                    Last edited by Oramus; 06-23-2014, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Harmonious Jade
                      2RG
                      Planeswalker - Jade
                      Loyalty 3
                      +1: Deal 3 damage to target Demon and 1 damage to that Demon's controller.
                      -2: Destroy target artifact.
                      -5: Choose one: Creatures your opponents control can't block this turn, or creatures your opponents control must block this turn if able.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_238_1438728365271_197[/ATTACH]

Comment

Ligier, The Green Sun
                        (4)(R)(B)
                        Legendary Creature- Demon
                        6/6

Indestructible.
                        All artifacts cost (2) less to play or equip.
                        When a creature blocks Ligier, the Green Sun, place a -1/-1 counter on it.

The heart of a titan, the soul of a genius.

The Sword of the Yozis
                        (6)
                        Legendary Artifact

Equip (4)
                        If Ligier, the Green Sun is in play, you may automatically equip this card to it.
                        Target creature gets +4/+4.
                        (3), tap: Ignore all damage to this creature from once source this turn.

"I dare all of Creation to exceed my skill. Come, test your steel against my brass, and let us see whose is the greater!"
                        -Ligier, the Green Sun.

Mnemon, the Heir Apparent
                        (3)(U)(R)
                        Legendary Creature- Terrestrial Exalt
                        3/4

Hexproof.
                        All sorcery spells cost (1) less to play.

"Everyone knows she cannot be allowed to become Empress. The hard part is finding someone who can stop her."
                        - Sesus Nagezzer

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Comment

Something I've been thinking about since reading Minton's blog post about Exalted Magic homebrew (which I look forward to seeing!): Part of the trouble with translating Creation to Magic -- really, with translating a lot of things to Magic -- is that Flying is a massively, paradigmatically important keyword in Magic that (unlike most keywords) represents a specific thing in the setting, and that means that Magic settings tend to have a much greater focus than others on flying creatures and people, and on the differences between things that fly and things that don't fly. This is often a problem when you want to import another setting into Magic -- you have to go scrounging for things that can fly and are iconic enough to make into a card, and when you do, the fact that those things can fly becomes one of their most defining features, which is often not the case in the source setting.

With actual magic then can just make up some card and then slap "XY Drake" on it, where XY are two words that explain its secondary power, but pre-existing settings aren't built around the needs of a card set, and they tend to be richer in a way that makes it unappealing to pad them out with miscellaneous weird animals just to cover your bases. Outside of, like, Pokemon, the core D&D settings are really the only ones I can think of that might have enough random wacky animals to fill a set without making fans of the setting gripe, "how come we got 20 dinosaurs in this homebrew block and you didn't make a card for [signature NPC/location/artifact X]?
                          Last edited by Gayo; 06-26-2014, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Starting in on the Great Forks block:

MTG in Great Forks: The Godblood Mechanic

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

I love the idea of this. I am just getting into MtG as it is, and having my favorites from Exalted translated really helps my understanding of a system
                              That, plus I am starting to use the MtG card editor to make stuff for my local game

Comment

Eric - I look forward to see your handling of Exalts and charms. And Great Forks is a great place for a Block to be set!

(Plus, it sets up the Mask of Winters and the Realm as obvious Big Bads for the set)

My Storyteller Vault releases!
                                Sorcerous Ways: Mystic Martial Arts - Punch people for magic power!
                                These Mean Streets - Advise and systems for street-level punk-noir Vampire larp

Comment

Working...
                                X