Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Incarnae Worship

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
    As with Norse and Roman religion, in Creation one generally deals with gods on the basis of bargains and covenants. Sure, you want to avoid pissing off the gods, so you'll propitiate them to avoid random divine nastiness, but when you want something in particular, you make or pledge a sacrifice to the god in exchange for its aid. Even benevolent gods are not presumed to be beneficent, any more than rich and powerful mortals are; one can beg them for charity, but it's unwise to do so with any expectation of actual aid unless you have something to offer in compensation.
    Things overheard in Creation:

    "Shut up and take my prayers!"

    "I'm throwing my prayers at the shrine, but nothing's happening!"

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Mizu View Post
      totally fake religion
      “All right," said Susan. "I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need... fantasies to make life bearable."

      REALLY? AS IF IT WAS SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.

      "Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little—"

      YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.

      "So we can believe the big ones?"

      YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.

      "They're not the same at all!"

      YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET—Death waved a hand. AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME...SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.

      "Yes, but people have got to believe that, or what's the point—"

      MY POINT EXACTLY.”

      ― Terry Pratchett, Hogfather


      Developer for Exalted.

      Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

      Comment


      • #33
        Here's what I am unclear on: Immaculate Doctrine says that the Five Elemental Dragons (and here they seem to be talking about the same five that actually exist) descended into the world, incarnating themselves in human/dragon-blooded flesh, in which identities they led the uprising against the Anathema, after which they died/ascended back into being distant Cosmic Forces.

        Now, was this before or after the creation of the Dragon-Blooded Host? Did the Immaculates empower their followers with the power of the Dragons? Or were the Terrestrials supposed to already have been around, but they just needed the example of the Immaculates to DO anything?

        Also, if the Dragons are so central to the cosmology of the universe, then why aren't the days named after them? Or...ARE they (in the Realm, that is)?

        Comment


        • #34
          So really what you're saying is that when Ex3 comes out we'll need a RL Immaculate book.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Hand-of-Omega View Post
            Now, was this before or after the creation of the Dragon-Blooded Host? Did the Immaculates empower their followers with the power of the Dragons? Or were the Terrestrials supposed to already have been around, but they just needed the example of the Immaculates to DO anything?
            The Elemental Dragons are the 5 vast cosmic forces of nature that created the Dragon Blooded. The Dragon Blooded had lived in, and protected Creation for thousands of years, and chose to serve the Anathema - for at first, the Anathema hid their true nature and seemed like shining heroes. Over time though, their corruption became more and more clear, and the Dragon Blooded realized that they were servants of the Yozi who had stolen their powers from the Incarna. But, while the Dragon Blooded were many and righteous, the powers of the Anathema could shake the world, and the Dragon Blooded host stood little chance of overthrowing them.

            The Elemental Dragons sent aspects of themselves, the Immaculate Dragons, to assist the Dragon Blooded in their rebellion, teach them the Immaculate Martial Art Styles, forge them grand weapons, etc. The Immaculate Dragons were instrumental in leading the Dragon Blooded host.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
              ― Terry Pratchett, Hogfather
              I always liked the other version.

              "YOU NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?"

              May be slightly less relevant in the discussion of religions but it addresses the same point nicely in regards to ideals.

              Comment


              • #37
                To answer the question in more specific terms, Luna is the goddess of hunters and receives the prayers of hunters throughout Creation and the veneration of communities who live by hunting. Hunters everywhere perform the sacred hunt in her honor. The Festival of the Hunt is also a creation-wide holiday, except (IIRC) on the Blessed Isle.

                The Five Maidens are prayed to by everyone with an interest in their own future and a basic knowledge of spiritual matters. Especially the Varang, who revere them above all other gods.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                  So really what you're saying is that when Ex3 comes out we'll need a RL Immaculate book.
                  Honestly, the one fluff book I've often wished I had access to is a book on the Immaculate Order. It doesn't have to be Bible or Qu'ran long, of course, but extracts and so on. Quotes that Immaculate Monks can recite, sidebars on controversies about interpretation, and all the basic stuff. For example, Anubis explains the teachings well from late 1st ed, but in the Core, the Dragonblood rose up to overthrow the Yozis and their Solar and Lunar servants. The Primordial War and Usurpation were mixed together by the Order. Obviously the writers decided this wouldn't work and changed it, but anyway it's vague and contradictory. So I'd like their teachings written down in a bit of detail.

                  I should say, the chapter on the IO in the Blessed Isle book was, for me, by far the most useful chapter, with its stuff about the antithesis, how often you need to go to temple, how the order is structured, etc. But it wasn't long enough, and didn't really go into their beliefs very much.


                  I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post

                    Honestly, the one fluff book I've often wished I had access to is a book on the Immaculate Order. It doesn't have to be Bible or Qu'ran long, of course, but extracts and so on. Quotes that Immaculate Monks can recite, sidebars on controversies about interpretation, and all the basic stuff. For example, Anubis explains the teachings well from late 1st ed, but in the Core, the Dragonblood rose up to overthrow the Yozis and their Solar and Lunar servants. The Primordial War and Usurpation were mixed together by the Order. Obviously the writers decided this wouldn't work and changed it, but anyway it's vague and contradictory. So I'd like their teachings written down in a bit of detail.

                    I should say, the chapter on the IO in the Blessed Isle book was, for me, by far the most useful chapter, with its stuff about the antithesis, how often you need to go to temple, how the order is structured, etc. But it wasn't long enough, and didn't really go into their beliefs very much.
                    If you haven't read 1e Dragon-Blooded, I'd recommend it. I greatly preferred its description of the Immaculate Order to anything in 2e.


                    Developer for Exalted

                    Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

                    Robert Vance's Patreon

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      1st ed Dragonblood has a lot of useful fluff in its true. Unfortunately, I don't have access to it anymore (a couple of my friends have copies, but now I live in Asia and they live in Britain, so they can't really lend it to me over skype).


                      I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X