Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everyone should have unlimited ammo in Third Edition: No more ammunition tracking !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everyone should have unlimited ammo in Third Edition: No more ammunition tracking !

Jade: That is the punishment for making me your beard !
    Discipline: It's not what it look like, some tattooed woman with crazy accent just jump out off the bush and steal both Black Ice Shadow and my cloth.
    Jade: What is this silly thing about crazy accent woma..........oh...............ohhhhhhhhhhh

Exactly what the thread title say, anyone here like to keep track of their character's ammo ?

P/s: I never realized that Jade used to have pant, or that Discipline and Black Ice Shadow is featured in Scroll of Swallowing Darkness doing naughty thing, or that crazy-accent woman is such an awesome Lunar.
    Last edited by Jen; 06-25-2014, 01:47 AM.

The no.1 fan of Demetheus. I also draw Exalted things and is looking for commission works ~

I think there should be some way for ammo to run out, but I'd prefer if it was hassle-free.

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
    [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
    [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

Comment

Wait, people actually did this in 2e? I always ran my characters as having infinite ammo and no GM ever said anything.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely agree with the idea of not tracking another fiddly bit on your character sheet next to motes, willpower, health levels, limit break and now combat momentum. It gets kinda nuts after a while.

Comment

Originally posted by The What we Know Wiki
        Q: I don't think I've ever seen a game outside of Post Apocalyptic games where ammo wasn't so plentiful as to make it a completely pointless exercise in book keeping to track it. (Fanservice)
        A: There won't be ammo counting. (John Mørke)

Welp, that clears it up.

I made some Martial Arts for 3e, look at them here and here.

Comment

I generally don't track ammo all the time, only when the game's running in "survival mode".

At home? Near a supply source, like the army you're traveling with? Keep shooting.
          Traveling? In the middle of a dungeon? Free-falling from Mount Qaf while chasing one of adorjan's children? You'll begin with as much common ammo as is reasonable for the character and situation, a generous amount, but finite.

Check my Exalted homebrew!

Comment

I tended to treat ammo like movement/positioning in 2e -- I only tracked it when we were down to the critically-important single-digits, but there was a tacit understanding that it always mattered, so if the ST just fiat declared "if you use that Arrow Storm you're only going to have two arrows left" I would generally be cool with that so long as it didn't seem wildly out of step with my notion of how many arrows a character was likely to have.

One of my favourite Spirit of the Century stunts is a Firearms power where you declare that you're on your last bullet, and and get a huge bonus to use it, and in general I tend to favour narrative methods like that when you have more than three shots at full load. (Of course, that works because there's no Essence Arrow Technique in SotC!)
            Last edited by Gayo; 06-21-2014, 01:51 PM.

Comment

I've always tracked ammo in 2e. A hip quiver only holds like a dozen arrows at best, after all. Never been a huge deal, and it makes Phantom Arrow and the like actually worth it.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if it's something like occasionally needing to make a "are you out of ammo?" roll, dependent on generally how much you're shooting, how much ammo you vaguely have on you, etc. If you succeed, you've been efficient, and you're not out. If you fail, you're out, and need to take actions to scavenge (which may be more or less difficult based on circumstances as well).

Book of the Emerald Circle
              Custom Sidereal Charms
              Expanded Sidereal Linguistics

Comment

I don't know, having a realistic count of ammunition could have a couple of benefits, it stops a ranged fighter from just sitting somewhere out of reach of melee fighters and infinitely peppering them, plus it makes players use their limited arrows in more interesting ways. Also don't most Exalts have at least one archery charm that just does away with needing ammunition all together?

Comment

Unless John has changed his mind about the thing (which is certainly possible) I would expect some middle ground between ammo tracking and unlimited ammo. Possibly something that abstracts the number of arrows you have and the need to gather loosed ones back up into overall combat tempo.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                  Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiresias View Post
                    I think there should be some way for ammo to run out, but I'd prefer if it was hassle-free.
                    There is. It's called drama. You ruj out at precisly the best time you need to to advance the story. Otherwise, you'll always have one more.

Comment

I've always had a soft spot for Thrown, it's pretty much always been my favorite. In the present environment I'm not encouraged to say much, but I'm very satisfied with the current approach on this matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Jen View Post
                        [CENTER] Jade: That is the punishment for making me your beard !
                        sorry, im lost here. what does it mean with "making me yourbeard "??. does beard has another meaning i dont know??

Comment

It's a slang term. There's a situation where a gay man is dating/married to a woman so that people won't think he's gay. (Sometimes, this may go as far as having kids together.)

The woman in that position is called the man's "beard."

Yade is pissed because she thinks her man has been gay all along (because she caught him fooling around with a man) and their love has been a lie.

dontexplainthejoke.jpg

Comment

The only time a character should run out of ammo is if it fits the narrative or creates a moment of dramatic tension. A lot of fun can be had this way, but it shouldn't become a recurring thing, and certainly shouldn't be something you have to constantly keep track of.

Comment

Originally posted by Synapse View Post
                              I generally don't track ammo all the time, only when the game's running in "survival mode".

At home? Near a supply source, like the army you're traveling with? Keep shooting.
                              Traveling? In the middle of a dungeon? Free-falling from Mount Qaf while chasing one of adorjan's children? You'll begin with as much common ammo as is reasonable for the character and situation, a generous amount, but finite.

This is pretty much how I've always treated it, the only exception being really specific fancy things, like the Firedust arrows and such.

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, No Moon Scholar, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Pioneer Pooch, Corsair, Director, Keeper of the Karstein Manor, Scion with Shield of Knowledge, Erymanthian Boar, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Family Head, Kindred, Agent, Poltergeist, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Wraith, Conspiracy Theorist, First Time Traveler

Comment

Working...
                              X