No announcement yet.

The future of PBP and Online games of Exalted

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would knife someone for a dice roller that displayed results in numerical order on my PbP boards of choice.

Because yeah, that's really all you need for weird dice tricks like "reroll all sixes" and "steal enemy's tens."

Comment

Originally posted by Guancyto View Post
      I would knife someone for a dice roller that displayed results in numerical order on my PbP boards of choice.
      Not even sure what you're asking.

A dice roller that displays in numerical order would be easy enough. A dice roller that can log into a forum of your choice and post its results to the right thread would be both difficult and open to abuse.

Come and rock me Amadeus.

Comment

I think that was just an expression of frustration from Guancyto that his PbP boards of choice don't display dice rolls in numerical order.

The EX3 What We Know Wiki, courtesy of Marin and JMobius
        Nishkriya, the EX3 Freelancer Quotes Tracker, courtesy of Anathema and Moonwolf
        The White Wolf Forum Archive, courtesy of The Dark Wizard and Sanctaphrax (see its Patreon)
        Arrghus: There's also the Shepherd of the North Star, busily guiding the one thing in all the heavens that doesn't move.

Comment

Whenever I'm testing dice roll stuff, I just google "D&D dice roller" and use the wizards of the coast one that pops up. I've yet to find a thing it didn't live up to, even the monstrously overcomplicated first draft of the disease rules.

EDIT: ...and now I realize how woefully unrelated that is to PbP. You have spoiled me, Skype gaming.
          Last edited by Robert Vance; 06-24-2014, 03:13 PM.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

*is standing akwardly to the side trying to squeeze in his own diceroller*

Hmm... if a diceroller could export image links that were embedable into [img] tags, would anyone find that useful? It's not a bad way to make it versatile both for forums and for skype-play and also somewhat prevent cheating.

check out the one in my sig, made by me, dicemat *akward nervous smile*

Bearer of the legacy of Trauma Bear
            Need a dice-roller? Check out Dicemat.

Comment

Originally posted by Fata-Ku View Post
              *is standing akwardly to the side trying to squeeze in his own diceroller*

Hmm... if a diceroller could export image links that were embedable into [img] tags, would anyone find that useful? It's not a bad way to make it versatile both for forums and for skype-play and also somewhat prevent cheating.

check out the one in my sig, made by me, dicemat *akward nervous smile*
              Your diceroller is nice, but it would be even better if it sorted dice in order without you having to tag "highest" and put in a number.

As for image links to show off dice results... yes, I think that would be just the thing for PbP games. But where would the images be hosted, and for how long?

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

Originally posted by semicasual View Post
                As for image links to show off dice results... yes, I think that would be just the thing for PbP games. But where would the images be hosted, and for how long?
                Actually, it'd be pretty trivial to have a database that holds results linked to user accounts and a page that automatically generates (without saving) an image based on the envoked url.
                It could run into bandwidth issues, but it would take a lot of users to get to that point. The only other issue would be making sure the database can hold all the rolls for a given length of time (and that depends on the userbase again. 1000 users doing 50ish rolls a week for a year would be a bit over 2.5 million records which would probably be just under 2 gigs at the heaviest (if everyone always rolled 100 dice) depending on how they're stored.

So yeah... that.
                Last edited by Fata-Ku; 06-24-2014, 05:15 PM.

Bearer of the legacy of Trauma Bear
                Need a dice-roller? Check out Dicemat.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                  Whenever I'm testing dice roll stuff, I just google "D&D dice roller" and use the wizards of the coast one that pops up. I've yet to find a thing it didn't live up to, even the monstrously overcomplicated first draft of the disease rules.

EDIT: ...and now I realize how woefully unrelated that is to PbP. You have spoiled me, Skype gaming.
                  A couple of problems with using the DnD dice roller for a game.

1) No one else can see your results. People desire transparency in their games from both the other players and the ST.

2) If you're in a group with four other people, having each person roll their attacks/damage, drop any relevant dice, and reroll any relevant die and then tell the ST takes time. Being able to click a button and have all that information pop up on the screen is much faster.

That said, did you know you can download the DnD dice roller? I have a copy of it on my PC.

Come and rock me Amadeus.

Comment

Working...
                  X