An Exalted (Fan) Novel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Exalted (Fan) Novel

Skimming through the Kickstarter updates I noticed something.

05-24-2013 Project Update #5: Our next Stretch Goal is an Exalted 3rd Edition Novel by the god of gaming fiction: Matt Forbeck.

06-04-2013 Project Update #31: A new EX3 Novel written by Jess Hartley and featuring our sig character Novia

09-04-2013 Project Update #45: Both Matt Forbeck and Jess Hartley have enough notes to get started on their EX3 novels

10-24-2013 Project Update #49: The EX3 Novels are in the pitch/outline phases.

06-20-2014 Project Update #65: The EX3 Novels remain in the pitch/outline phases.
    That’s some serious damn outlining! They are outlining the ever-loving fuck out of those novels.

If they finish those outlines today and start beating out those novels that’s 3-6 months for a rough. Most writers then stick those novels on the backburners, wait a couple of months, and then start the ping pong of rewrites with editors. Then there’s copy editing and the publisher decides where to stick it in their lineup. A book can easily have to wait a year to two years after the first draft is finished.

I’ve heard the turnaround for gaming novels tends to be much faster.

Whatever the case, I expect the novels will not be coming out soon so I figured I’d just write one myself.

Right here.

In this thread.

Right now I have:
    - Solar hero
    - Not a full circle.
    - Conflict will not be Creation spanning.
    - 80k for the world total. I am not writing an ‘epic fantasy.’

Here's what I want from you:
    Which Direction would you like?
    Is there anything specific you want to see?
    What do you think 'belongs' in an Exalted novel?

I’ll start writing tomorrow so speak up now.
    Last edited by hippokrene; 06-26-2014, 05:51 AM.

Come and rock me Amadeus.

[Reserved for Table of Contents]

Comment

I would just like to say I think this is a damn good idea, and it makes me want to do the same thing myself.

Comment

I'm feeling South-West. Rainforest, coral reefs... Something like that. With some old ruins. Doesn't have to be First Age or anything. But old stone that's starting to get overrun by water and/or vegetation. Probably with some spirits in there.

Comment

Originally posted by hippokrene View Post
          Always been in love with the meso-american-like parts of the East and the more Ancient Middle-East parts of the South.

Stuff I would like to see? Cool fights. I live for cool fights. Like, a Solar fighting a big behemoth monster thing? Very yes. A duel of heroes? Even better.

Stuff I think belongs in an Exalted novel? A sense of boundless enthusiasm and the firm belief that you can change the world.

Bits and pieces of Exalted setting.

Comment

Pretty much agree with everything Omicron just said.

Setting: I'm really feeling the South right now, but South-East is cool, too (a cool fight among the branches and vines of jungle trees should be stunt-tastic!). Where ever it's set, there should definitely be ancient ruins, whether Dragon King or human. I really like that description of "cities built around crashed spaceships" I've heard about the New Sun books, something like that (put with Warstriders or something instead of spaceships, obviously). Really play up the megafauna, dinosaurs and other strange things out there, too!

Character: Is the Solar hero a product of civilization or a barbarian? If the former, I could see him as an Indiana Jones sort, probably a Twilight and a Relic Hunter. If the latter, maybe he could go for a Tarzan feel, exalting and leading his tribesmen to a victory against some supernatural menace they couldn't fight before. Either way, embrace the Pulp!

Antagonists: There should definitely be other Exalted. Not many! But at least a couple, maybe not even confirmed as such, just hinted in a way that we can guess what they are (starry eyes are great for that). I'm thinking Sidereal or Abyssal. Maybe the latter even runs a corrupted tribe in sacrificing captives or something...

Plot: Start off with a bang. Maybe with our hero escaping/bringing down a rampaging behemoth (Indy/Tarzan vs. King Kong?), then, as he rests and heals, reflecting on how he got to this point, cue extended flashback of his origin story, that leads to the main plot...

HTH, and I look forward to seeing what you produce!
            Last edited by Hand-of-Omega; 06-26-2014, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Seconding (or thirding) the South. From the South West to the South East, it's probably the direction that screams "Exalted" the most in my mind.

I think a diverse cast would be a must, with mortals and strange spirits not loosing their luster even when the story focuses on the titular Exalted.

I agree that cool fights should happen, and I'd say that for me, the most important thing in an Exalted novel would be the feeling of a strange, alien world. Culture shock, strange customs, weird places, old creeping things and impossible sorceries... and in the middle of that, humans, fighting to survive and more often than not, managing it...

Chains of Silver and Blood, my current Ex3 campaign.
              I do maps for your games!
              Images 1, Images 2, Landscapes 1, Landscapes 2 and Musics from Creation.

Comment

Also throwing in my support for the South, particularly areas in the South-East like Harborhead (that counts as South-East, right? I'm not 100% on the division). It's got an entire jungle kingdom, and is bordered by the Varang City-States and a massive shadowland, making for tons of conflicting forces without involving all of Creation!

What I'd like to see: ditto the suggestion of cool fights but also starting things en medias res with the action firmly established and the character's stakes made clear. And if the South is indeed chosen, the opportunity to explore the exotic flora and fauna, not just as enviornmental forces opposing the characters but also how the cultures and people incorporate them (think exotic mounts, the weird dishes produced from prehistoric-esque plants and animals, pets and hunting aides, etc).

What belongs in an Exalted novel: the only one I've read to completion would be "A Day as Dark as Night" and well, I really thought the big demon battle in Nexus was very cool. The oppotunity to present the utter alien side of supernatural beings in contrast to the fantastical mundane life of the average settlement cannot be passed up. Also if there isn't a full circle, that's a great opportunity to present the "lost" members as either dead heroes that came before, or antagonists/allies who have become Abyssal/Infernal.

Comment

Originally posted by Kazorh View Post
                  I'm feeling South-West. Rainforest, coral reefs... Something like that. With some old ruins. Doesn't have to be First Age or anything. But old stone that's starting to get overrun by water and/or vegetation. Probably with some spirits in there.

This.
                  And a broken Thousand Forged Dragon.

Comment

I like zeniths and twilight. I like the south, especially chiaroscuro. I will note that there are things buried under that city from the age of glory, that even the Solars of the first age were ignorant and wary of. I would like to see good character development, with a caste of people I'm interested in reading about, doing things I find interesting. I think what belongs in an Exalted novel is Exalted. I wouldn't mind seeing the cross between Wushu style culture (Realm) and Arabianesque stuff (South). In fact, I wouldn't be terribly offended if you blatantly ripped off Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo to have a solar come in and start playing factions off each other. Then at the end when the Realm jumps in to throw down the criminals, he goes all "I AM SOLAR!" and lets out a can'o'whoopas. In fact, what'd be even more awesome is if he was an awoken/returning First Age Solar. I never see people do stories with those. I could definitely go for that if done well.

Comment

I'm definitely getting 'stick it in the South.'

I am probably not going to start with giant fights or set pieces, but will include them. I'll probably begin with the standard 'mortal Exalts' story. I agree that things like spirits and mortals should still feel important even after the hero gets their Solar powers.

Okay, I have a prologue and the first chapter figured out.

Originally posted by Schleiermacher View Post
                      I would just like to say I think this is a damn good idea, and it makes me want to do the same thing myself.
                      \o/

Comment

Cheers and good show, sir. I look forward to reading.

My only request is a Jak and Mia cameo. Imagine - Jak the Solar Outrider, Adept Deacon, riding in with just the exposition the Solar Hero needed! Faithful Pia, Jak's Lunar Companion being all clumsy and devoted! The hero rejecting the invitation both give to join forces with the Cult of the Illuminated. Jak accepting the rejection (Mia making a tongue-face) and emphasizing the brotherhood of Solars, how they need to look out for each other even if they work mostly alone.
                        Last edited by Tikor; 06-26-2014, 11:07 PM. Reason: Edit: Should probably mention Cult of the Illuminated, page 119

The Lunar Castebooks fan project

Comment

I'm going to flip everything on it's head and say that the North is a must. It must include allusions to the lost age, buried beneath the sand/snow or being used by people in the modern day, like building a shelter using the wall of an ancient temple as one side.

Comment

Late to the party I see.

I very much desire the tale to be in the Western direction. Great potential there. Also, I want to see Spirits. Gods, Demons, Elementals, Ghosts, whatever. Spirits and their like are a huge draw for me in Exalted. Also, an Exalted story needs to have NO GENRE AWARENESS. The characters must be written like they're part of the world, not actors playing in it.

EDIT: Also, the Underworld. Be it journeys in it or elements of it. I love it so, im considering writing a story inspired by the Divine Comedy about a returning Solar who is haunted in his dreams of the terrible acts done in the First Age by the one who held his power before. He goes on pilgrimage across the Underworld, to speak with the ancient rulers and peoples of the dead, to find the answer of what makes a good ruler. Essentially learning the lessons that humble him, make him grow, challenge him, and test him.
                            Last edited by Godjaw; 06-27-2014, 03:17 AM.

Comment

Set it in a "Celestial Direction", I'd say. My suggestion for Caste is Night.

Raksi plays Peek-a-boo for keeps. ~ nalak42

Comment

Working...
                              X