No announcement yet.

Sorcery Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My current highly vague idea for what I want of Sorcery (and possibly a lens through which I'll view the presented product) is a means by which sorcerers can kind of invoke the principles of mighty beings or fundamental forces which they can shape into focused entities emergent from those powers and bent towards tasks related to them or to reshaping one's local environment to more strongly resemble those principles. The levels of Sorcery suggest what one might draw on in order to cast spells or invoke powers; Terrestrial, Celestial and Solar (although "Solar" is really a bit of a misnomer in deference to the fact that they're the only ones who can use it; it's actually about invoking the Incarnae, the Unquestionable, the Yozis and Primordials, and maybe stranger things of comparable stature). It's all very strange and uncanny; calling on powers reminiscent of being that are unlike how the actual beings use powers, and incentivizing sorcerers to seek out weird "patrons" in unknown corners of the world. Might lend an additional layer of context to ancient beasts bound or banished rather than destroyed.

I also find an idea about a decent reference for Necromancy in this; invoking powers reminiscent of ever deeper layers of the Underworld.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
      Celestial Circle should definitely have a leg up over Solar Circle, seeing how its practitioners have had a leg up lasting over two thousand years, but in the same way, the Terrestrial Circle should have even more spells available than the Celestial Circle, since it's by far got the most practitioners.
      I believe this is represented by the sheer difficulty of *finding* any Solar texts, meaning anyone who wants to do any spells like that has to do the excruciatingly slow research path.

My Commandments for GMs My Commandments for Players

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
        Seriously part of the coolness of getting to choose which demons would be in the core was that I thought it would mean we would know ahead of time! People blabbed about their Martial Arts Choices so why not this?!
        I know what they are, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
          Writing their names on your arm with red ink/your own blood would be both appropriate to the topic and consistent with your previous spoiler methodology.

That said, I'd appreciate it if you'd simply ask Holden instead.

Comment

Do you? Are you sure?

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
              Do you? Are you sure?
              Why don't you both PM the list of demons to me and I'll check to see if he really knows?

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sia View Post
                Cheshire has it; you want the army to do what every army has always done since the dawn of time - take and hold ground. You want sorcerous support to annihilate opposing armies, preventing enemy sorcerers from annihilating your army, and getting the most out of aforementioned ground. You want heroes - basically Terrestrial Martial Artists - to deal with opposing sorcerers, and to counter enemy heroes. And you want - need - a leader; a social-fu master to hold everything together, and relays to bring him information and carry his orders to their recipients.

Combined Arms; learn it, live it, love it.
                It's quite unsatisfactory to roll up Tsun Tzu if your army isn't actually useful for winning battles meanwhile counterspell spam will be deeply unsatisfactory for sorcerers on both sides. There is a sort of middle ground here where sorcerers can deal moderate damage to armies while being unable to "annihilate" them.
                Last edited by Zironic; 11-20-2013, 04:15 AM.

Comment

A daemonic napkin would be perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Zironic View Post

It's quite unsatisfactory to roll up Tsun Tzu if your army isn't actually useful for winning battles
                    I don't exactly disagree with you but I have a vague impression that you're coming at this from a position that doesn't really know much about the operations of pre-modern armies.

Armies win battles, but an army is a complex organism composed of many parts, and not all of those parts have equal roles to play in a battle. Quite a few tactics are based around assembling blocks of infantry purely for the sake of forming barriers against cavalry movements, and that will be their role for the whole battle, just standing their holding up pikes.

EDIT: As for sorcerers as artillery, your army will probably respond as armies did for 250 years; they stand there and take it while waiting for more mobile units to take the artillery out, and then advance towards their next objective. I've read accounts from battles in the French invasion of Russia in which soldierly nonchalance at watching comrades torn to shreds around them would almost be hilarious, in a macabre kind of way, if it wasn't something that entailed thousands of people dying. There's one bit where an officer rides up to commend a man showing particular stoicism under fire, and just after his reply about his duty and such he gets cut in half, and when the officer turns to the man next to him and says how it's such a pity for a fine soldier to die that one gets his head taken off as he opens his mouth, and then the officer's horse gets its leg broken by a rolling ball.
                    Last edited by Isator Levi; 11-20-2013, 06:54 AM.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Since this thread is here I'm just going to say I hope we get back some life extending Sorcery. Just because that's like a pulp classic that only first edition seemed to get into.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
                        Do you? Are you sure?
                        I'm fairly certain that this translates to "new demons, yo."

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                        I've read accounts from battles in the French invasion of Russia in which soldierly nonchalance at watching comrades torn to shreds around them would almost be hilarious, in a macabre kind of way, if it wasn't something that entailed thousands of people dying.
                        Looking at your example, it's still kind of funny.

Comment

Originally posted by The MG View Post
                          Looking at your example, it's still kind of funny.
                          Well, yes. Has a very Monty Python feeling to it, doesn't it? I just wanted to make an appeal to compassion.

But yeah, armies being useful doesn't mean that they don't sometimes have to take heavy fire, or that, technically speaking, only a relative minority of an army's actual composition engages in the proper fighting, while the rest are there to define maneuverability or form backups within infantry squares (who, unless it's an especially pitched battle, won't be likely to find themselves cycled to the front line).

Look at a picture of a Macedonian phalanx, and consider exactly why most of those boys have their pikes pointed in the air.

There's a reason that in most battles, even the really infamous ones, only a relative minority of the actual soldiers are killed.

Really, even in rout, killing most of them is kind of excessive. Once they're literally scattered to the four winds, how exactly are they going to reconvene? Do they have telephones and good maps?

That, incidentally, is one of the really mundane but extremely practical details that would make an army run by Exalted, particularly the Dragon Blooded, very dangerous; even when they're put to retreat, or simple entropy breaks a unit on the march apart, they're really well-equipped to pull the thing back together.

Comment

Speaking of Dragonblooded; Dragon Vortex Attack and As In The Beginning is something I want my sorcerer to be able to do, if not exactly, then approximately. I want to be able to conjure a storm of fire, which will ravage an entire army; I want to summon the Kukla's Wrath to swallow a city whole.

And hey, if Dragon Vortex as a spell steps on the toes of DB's, what's the problem? Double the mote cost and point out that DB's get all those neat-o upgrades, and it'll still be awesome, as well as an excellent reason for a younger DB - one who doesn't want to spend a decade or ten meditating on a lonely mountaintop - to get that awesome "Wrath of the Dragons" special attacks (which would utterly exhaust him with a single use, so he doesn't throw it around frivolously).

As In The Beginning is... Probably a bit much for a Celestial spell, I admit; either something an order of magnitude smaller and somewhat less potent - hey, (50xEssence) metres for (10xEssence)L damage is still totally worth an hour of casting and 50 motes. And if a Solar wants to burn a hundred motes to summon a volcano, I say let him summon that volcano!

Aretii: "As one of the players described it, 'After initiation, it was actually a relief seeing who had eyepatches or bandaged hands - you know what they sacrificed, instead of wondering what bits people cut out of their own souls to gain power.'"

Comment

FYI: yeah, Alveua is going to be in the new Core.

Comment

Originally posted by Vidiian View Post
                                FYI: yeah, Alveua is going to be in the new Core.
                                Oh? Are you one of the Mystical of Exalted of the Ebon List?

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Working...
                                X