Man at Arms Artifact Assistance and Balancing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man at Arms Artifact Assistance and Balancing

I'm a Blacksmith Artificer of 2 years. I've made world saveing and ending weapons for a variety of individuals. This is Man at arms.

We have all looked at a Daiklave and thought "How do I make that mine?" "What makes my Daiklave stand out over all the other Daiklaves?" These are hard questions, without easy answers. Luckily there is one easy answer. Artifact Assistance, because a Daiklave is a sword, and a sword is an extension of it's wielder's soul. A weapon is not just metal, formed and shaped for the intent to take another's life, a weapon carries forth the will of the user. It is is the instrument by which the user achieves his motive drives, and fulfills his commitments and ambitions.

This thread is about posting your ideas for an artifact, or your need for ideas for an artifact and having it reviewed, balance checked (making sure that a 3 dot is a 3 dot and not a 5 dot). Also though your character's weapon should reflect their personal themes even in it's powers. A good way to do that is with any artifact submitted include a little about the character. If your using something none standard like White Soul Steel, or Shadow Oricalcum make not of that and why you choose it for the character and why they would choose it for themselves.

I'm pretty sure there is a rule against publicly posting any information from a published book, so unless your artifact has a different statline than the artifacts published in the books, please refrain from posting it.

Here are two examples.
    Harbinger of Renewed Light (Reaver Daiklave) Artifact 3
    Harbinger of Renewed Light is an obsidian reaver daiklave made for the Amazon Dancing Firefly. Firefly as an eclipse caste is a spy sent out by the mostly Xenophobic amazon's to discover what is happening in the world around them that has local gods so spooked. Jade is uncommon among his people and Oricalcum is unheard of so he has never thought to own an Oricalcum weapon. Instead he uses this weapon. His motivation is to see the world and explore it and understand it's peoples. His intimacies bring about humility and a duty to serve and protect. Mostly protecting others from gods and the like that abuse their powers. This weapon was forged to allow him to cut his way though the demons, fair folk, and living dead he encounters all too often.
    Stats as normal:
    Unique Power: Convert Negative to Positive. By spending 1wp, once per scene at the moment this effect is desired, this weapon lets the owner reroll all 1's in an attack or damage roll with the weapon.

This power can be used again after the weapon inflicts 3 or more health levels on a creature of darkness.
    So why is this a 3 dot artifact? Well the power in question comes from a hearth stone (and not a very powerful one) but isn't useable as often, The need to inflict 3 wounds of damage on a creature of darkness

The Black Knight's Strength (Daiklave) Artifact 3
    This is a Soul Steel Daikclave with a strange power. It bursts into grey blue flames so cold they burn. This weapon was forged for a renegade Death knight. It's grey blue flames are a ghostly reminder of the darkness in his soul that no mater how hard he puts in, or what you are willing to do. This virtuous and valiant would be knight's blade as the following profile

Speed 5, Accuracy +4, damage +9L/2, Defense +2 Rate 3 Attune 9

Unique power: Frostfire. The frostfire grey blue flame of the blade has two effects the first is that it raises the weapon's base damage by +4L (This as well as soul steel magical material bonus is already factored into the statline), the other big thing is every opponent who loses at least 1 health level to a wound inflicted by this weapon feels ice forming on the wound and spreading out blocking their movement and prevent them from reacting or acting normaly. (Targets wounded must wait an extra 3 ticks to act again, this effect does not stack, and lasts until victim's DV refreshes.)
    Basis of the Artifact. "Black Night's Strength effectively has the dragon Graced fire and water weapon charms and is activating them together. This would normally be a 1m charm activation.

This weapon pays for it's charm advantage by including the costs in the attunement cost.
    Last edited by HaplessWithDice; 07-18-2014, 12:11 PM.

The problem comes from the fact that daiklaves in Exalted are literaly a Longsword +1. The solution is simple: buy an artifact 4. Which is pretty much whatyou did. Good for you.

the other big thing is every opponent who loses at least 1 health level to a wound inflicted by this weapon feels ice blocking their movement and prevent them from reacting or acting in them. (Targets wounded must wait an extra 3 ticks to act again.)
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooo. Screwing with action economy that cheaply is bad, and you should feel bad.

Speed 5, Accuracy +4, damage +13L/2, Defense +2 Rate 3 Attune 6
    So it's a Reaper Daiklave, with +1 damage and Accuracy of Grand Greamcleaver? That doesn't feel right.
    Last edited by Mahasamatman; 07-17-2014, 03:36 AM.

Comment

The Throne Shadow expansion charm has a similar effect.

Flow-Breaking Strike

Cost: 6m, 1wp; Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 4;
      Type: Supplemental
      Keywords: Combo-OK, Crippling, Stackable
      Duration: Instant
      Prerequisite Charms: Finger-Stealing Handshake

Feeling along a tenor of fate, a Sidereal may strike at her opponent’s relevance, separating the momentous from the alsoran.

This Charm supplements an unarmed martial arts attack; should the attack strike its target, that all of that target’s actions raise their Speed by one for (Sidereal’s Essence ÷ 2, round up) actions. Subsequent strikes reset this timer and cumulatively increase the Speed of the target’s actions. This Charm may not raise a target’s Speed higher than 7.

The no.1 fan of Demetheus. I also draw Exalted things and is looking for commission works ~

Comment

Yes, but it is Essence 4 charm that costs 6m, 1wp, and has an actual keyword.

Comment

Yeah, I'm just want to provide a similar effect to compare again, not trying to say the the two are equal.

The no.1 fan of Demetheus. I also draw Exalted things and is looking for commission works ~

Comment

Ummm....
            It's a Standard Daiklave,a soul Steel daiklave to be e
            xact starts at Accuracy +2, Damage +5L/2 + [+4L (Fire Dragon Graced Weapon)] for +9L/2 and the 3 tick delay is just the other half a dragon graced weapon activation (Water Aspect Dragon Graced Weapon). Soul Steel adds +2 Accuracy and mote dispersal.

Dragon Graced weapon is an essence 1 Terrestrial charm that allows you to activate 2 aspects for 1 mote. Both Fire and Water mechanically, though in this case both the damage and slowing effect are due to "Extreme Cold". A cold so deep it burns like fire. The Standard Attunment cost is 5m but to balance out the added effect of the Dragon Graced weapon charm, it's 1m cost was added to the Attunement cost as if it was always active.

The Charm used. Color used to add emphasis. Information from Scroll of Errata and Manual of Exalted Power Dragon Blood, pages 38, and 155 of their respective documents.
            Code:
            Dragon-Graced Weapon
            Cost: 1+m; Mins: Melee 2, Essence 2; Type: Supplemental
            Keywords: Combo-OK, Elemental, Leader
            Duration: Instant
            Prerequisite Charms: None
            The Dragon-Blood has achieved a unity with his weapon that
            allows him to impart some of his elemental nature to it. On a successful
            melee attack, the Dragon-Blood may also inflict an elemental
            effect appropriate to his aspect on the target. Air buffets the target,
            subtracting two dice from her next action. Earth triggers a tremor
            beneath the target’s feet, forcing her player to roll (Dexterity +
            Athletics), difficulty 4, to keep the character from falling. Fire
            sets the target ablaze for a single action, giving a +4L bonus to the
            Dragon-Blood’s damage dice pool. Water fills the target’s lungs with
            seawater, adding three ticks before her next action due to violent
            coughing. Wood poisons the target’s blood, causing her to suffer a
            -1 penalty on all actions for the scene if her player fails a reflexive
            (Stamina + Resistance) roll.

Each additional purchase of this Charm after the first adds
            an additional element beyond the character’s aspect. Every
            activation incorporates the Exalt’s base element, but can also
            incorporate any number of additional elements unlocked with
            extra Charm purchases. The total cost to activate the Charm
            is half the number of elements unleashed, all of which provide
            their usual power. 
            Last edited by HaplessWithDice; 07-17-2014, 05:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HaplessWithDice View Post
              Ummm....
              It's a Standard Daiklave,a soul Steel daiklave to be exact starts at +5L/2 + [+4L (Fire Dragon Graced Weapon)] for +9L/2 and the 3 tick delay is (Water Aspect Dragon Graced Weapon)

Dragon Graced weapon is an essence 1 Terrestrial charm that allows you to activate 2 aspects for 1 mote. Both Fire and Water mechanically, though in this case both the damage and slowing effect are due to "Extreme Cold". A cold so deep it burns like fire.
              That's still a bad effect, because:
              a) Speed is a godstat.
              b) You can stunlock the enemy.
              It also lacks keywords - either Crippling or Shaping.

The fact that +4 is already included in the damage is not obvious, I suggest clarifying it.

Comment

If you're adamant about keeping the frost / slow effect, you could have each successful attack reduce the target's Dexterity by 1 dot, as per the Abyssal Archery Charm, Iron Sleet Attack. This is still a pretty nasty effect, as you're reducing your target's ability to hit you, resist being hit by you, and escape from you.

Burn Legend -- Advent of Yomi Wan http://burnlegend.blogspot.com/
                EX3 -- Dawn of Resurgent Sun https://resurgentsun.wordpress.com/

Comment

Ummm....
                  It's a Standard Daiklave,a soul Steel daiklave to be e
                  xact starts at Accuracy +2, Damage +5L/2 + [+4L (Fire Dragon Graced Weapon)] for +9L/2 and the 3 tick delay is just the other half a dragon graced weapon activation (Water Aspect Dragon Graced Weapon). Soul Steel adds +2 Accuracy and mote dispersal.

Dragon Graced weapon is an essence 1 Terrestrial charm that allows you to activate 2 aspects for 1 mote. Both Fire and Water mechanically, though in this case both the damage and slowing effect are due to "Extreme Cold". A cold so deep it burns like fire. The Standard Attunment cost is 5m but to balance out the added effect of the Dragon Graced weapon charm, it's 1m cost was added to the Attunement cost as if it was always active.
                  Just because charms exist putting such an effect into the game doesn't mean the effect belongs there in the first place. Or that artifacts should be able to replicate its effects. If anything, both of those facts are quite good arguments against it.

A Green Sun Destrier

Comment

Originally posted by GreyEyes View Post
                    If you're adamant about keeping the frost / slow effect, you could have each successful attack reduce the target's Dexterity by 1 dot, as per the Abyssal Archery Charm, Iron Sleet Attack. This is still a pretty nasty effect, as you're reducing your target's ability to hit you, resist being hit by you, and escape from you.
                    Woah there! That dex drop is a long term effect not a temporary and lasts longer than a DV refresh, plus it stacks! That's way worse than what I intended! I thought my wording was more concise than that but apparently not, so I have gone back and corrected it and spelled it out. My DV delay does not stack Iron Sleet does. Iron Sleet effects more important things than attacking back. It effects DV's, it Effects To hit, and it lasts at least the scene if not until the victim get's medical treatment.
                    Last edited by HaplessWithDice; 07-17-2014, 08:45 AM. Reason: Found wording issue do to quoted post.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahasamatman View Post
                      That's still a bad effect, because: a) Speed is a godstat. b) You can stunlock the enemy. It also lacks keywords - either Crippling or Shaping. The fact that +4 is already included in the damage is not obvious, I suggest clarifying it.
                      Stun locked? Not really.

Lets say your fighting the Gaurdian failure Average attack is at speed 5. So 5 ticks later you can act again and your DV refreshes, you swung first You will go again on tick 5. Now he gets to attack. When hit by this sword you instead go 3 ticks later. Let's say you are hit 3 times, provided you survive you go on tick 8. The delay does not stack and lasts until your DV refreshes at which point you are an eligible target for that effect again because it was a 3 tick delay, not a long lasting effect like a crippling effect.
                      Last edited by HaplessWithDice; 07-17-2014, 08:49 AM. Reason: Clarification and remove accidental tonal mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by Jen View Post
                        The Throne Shadow expansion charm has a similar effect.
                        Okay yeah this stacks, and lasts at least 2 actions...and it STACKS! That is definatly worth the essence 4 as opposed to an essence 2 none stacking delay.

Comment

That seems to me more an Artifact 4 effect than a 3. Well, not like most people can survive more than 1-2 good hits anyway.

Also you cannot compare an E4 charm with a weapon effect that activates for free and is available at chargen. I see you're really comparing it to the E2 Charm, which is a chargen-level Charm, but using it is still a Charm use versus an always-on effect.

"Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

"Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

Comment

We have all looked at a Daiklave and thought "How do I make that mine?" "What makes my Daiklave stand out over all the other Daiklaves?" These are hard questions, without easy answers.
                            Is it just me, or is this precisely the thing that Evocations are intended to address? Hell, for that matter it sounds a bit like what you're doing here. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but Searching the page doesn't turn up a bit of discussion on this and it sounds tremendously relevant, unless we're steadfastly sticking with the 1/2e model.

Comment

Originally posted by Mockery View Post
                              Is it just me, or is this precisely the thing that Evocations are intended to address? Hell, for that matter it sounds a bit like what you're doing here.
                              I thought so too but then the discussion trended towards 2e mechanics.

"Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

"Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

Comment

Working...
                              X