X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anasurimbor
    replied
    Originally posted by Braininthejar View Post
    2 Favor-conferring prana. Since it is only available at E4, does it give one dice to a stat, or two?
    It copies the effects of Empowering Shout, which gives two dice at E4. So it gives two dice pretty much always.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Honestly? I think Wyld-Shaping is very useful, if you can find a Wyld Zone or are right on the edge of Creation... but it costs too much XP.
    You can whip out a manse, a daiklaive, Resources 5, enough orichalcum to make a suit of artefact armour, etc.
    But they're too damn pricy. It's rarely worth it.

I haven't actually seen it used though, this is theoretical; everyone was too put off by the massive amount of prerequisites, and the difficulty and cost of making anything really useful with it to actually buy the charms. The guy who had it in 2nd ed ended up playing a different character in 3rd ed because he needed so many prereqs, and didn't think it was that good, but felt it was too integral to the character to drop.

I don't know the answer to the second part, but I have a feeling it might be somewhere on the Ask the Devs thread.
    Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 11-17-2018, 05:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied

Well, friends and neighbours of all the fairfolk you chopped up in the random encounters ( I wish there was a charm to reduce those, make fewer "waves" in the Wyld in your work, so to speak)
    Well, they don't necessarily care much.

I'll leave the more technical side to somebody else.

Leave a comment:

• Braininthejar
    replied
    Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

(and maybe help clarify how hostile that surrounding territory is, out on the edge).
    Well, friends and neighbours of all the fairfolk you chopped up in the random encounters ( I wish there was a charm to reduce those, make fewer "waves" in the Wyld in your work, so to speak)

And the second part of the question?

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Now Wyld Shaping. Is it actually useful, or just for flavor? The whole charm branch seems like "build your whole character concept around preparing for one epic battle, that will let you create your own country in the middle of absurdly hostile territory"
    We could probably do with more of the setting being detailed so that we can get a sense of some of those inland Wyld zones (and maybe help clarify how hostile that surrounding territory is, out on the edge).

That being said, the aspect of making countries probably warrants being a big enough deal for a lot of story to fall around it, although the Charm (and its upgrades) can make other useful things.

Leave a comment:

• Braininthejar
    replied
    Now Wyld Shaping. Is it actually useful, or just for flavor? The whole charm branch seems like "build your whole character concept around preparing for one epic battle, that will let you create your own country in the middle of absurdly hostile territory"

Also, if you "start over from scratch" like some uses of the charm require, does the number of step reset? (in regards to things that happen "from X step onward" and rolls for encounters ) ?

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Originally posted by imadaman View Post
    How common are bicycles in Creation?
    I've thought that maybe some Dynasts might drive around with some when they're travelling leisurely.
    Memetic pictures of Mnemon aside, I think that bicycles or other velocipedes would not be very widespread around Creation. Even accounting for a willingness to use them when the tech isn't exactly up to making them an easy or comfortable ride, there's a question of whether there are many places with a worthwhile market of affluent people with decent free time to make the labour of putting them together very worthwhile.

I think that Dynasts could make use of such vehicles, but I keep feeling as though it wouldn't exactly fit their own image of a dignified pastime.

Leave a comment:

• imadaman
    replied
    How common are bicycles in Creation?
    I've thought that maybe some Dynasts might drive around with some when they're travelling leisurely.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    My impression of Null Anima Gloves was that it's primarily something you'd use for combat larceny.

Picking locks or picking pockets on the street just isn't something that generally requires an Essence 4 charm. As Braininthejar pointed out, at Essence 1 you can deal with these.

Whereas stealing someone's daiklaive in the middle of the fight is very difficult, and the sort of thing that charm helps with. It also lets you steal initiative, motes, and attack successes. It seems very much a combat-orientated charm (although of course, you can also use it to stop combat starting via intimidation).

Leave a comment:

• Braininthejar
    replied
    Lockpicking is rendered trivial by Essence 1 charms.

Leave a comment:

• Accelerator
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Do you usually pick locks in places where people are positioned to see your hands and what you're doing with them?
    pickpockets?

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    A related "What's the point" question. Null anima gloves augment your thieving skills... but make your hands glow purple, marking you as a master thief.
    Do you usually pick locks in places where people are positioned to see your hands and what you're doing with them?
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 11-17-2018, 09:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Greyman
    replied
    Well, wind-racing essence infusion will effectively make your horse 7 times faster in travel, and give it extra successes (though not enough to reflect such increase IMO - exalted mechanics is weird like that sometimes) with the added benefit of not knocking it out at the end.
    Ah, yes. It is also earlier in the prerequiste tree. It is definitely the go to for out-of-combat travel. In combat those three+ successes to Ride-based commands, and those possible initiative boosts, aren't to be snubbed. It does however, as you noted, cost one willpower and those successes are not non-charm, unlike the mount's Speed Bonus.

So, Supernal Lash Discipline is not meant entirely to compete against this; as it can be used to enhance it.
    Last edited by Greyman; 11-17-2018, 08:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Braininthejar
    replied
    Well, wind-racing essence infusion will effectively make your horse 7 times faster in travel, and give it extra successes (though not enough to reflect such increase IMO - exalted mechanics is weird like that sometimes) with the added benefit of not knocking it out at the end.

A related "What's the point" question. Null anima gloves augment your thieving skills... but make your hands glow purple, marking you as a master thief.

Leave a comment:

• Greyman
    replied
    Supernal Lash discipline. What is the mechanical effect of "doubling speed"? Does it double the speed bonus of the steed?
    Yes, indeed it "doubles its Speed" and the capitalisation indicates Speed Bonus is intended; and I'd apply this before penalties. Best used with Horses or Simhatae, and such, with a +4 Speed Bonus to double.

Pestletails... eh, not so much.
    Also, what's the point? Unless you're starved for will points, there are clearly superior choices for hastening your steed...
    The point is to increase chance of success on all Ride-movement rolls for the scene by increasing the Speed Bonus.

What are you thinking of?
    Last edited by Greyman; 11-16-2018, 10:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X