Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by wern212 View Post
    Quick question about the Resistance 5+, Essence 3+ alternative mode for Spirit Strengthens the Skin.
    Is your ability to buy off successes on the damage roll still capped by your Natural Soak?
    No.

    10char

    Comment


    • Is pink hair rare in Creation ? I want to know whether my character will receive attention from other people thinking that she's magical (or worse, a Wyld-mutant).


      Comment


      • I imagine even if it isn't naturally occurring then there's some fashion of hair dye. Though I'd assume a natural pink haired person isn't common.

        Comment


        • I think pink hair would be remarkable in the way that blue eyes are remarkable. It's distinct and perhaps not common in a variety of places, but I don't think pink hair alone is enough to get you classified as a wyld mutant, any more than people in the East with green hair.

          I should qualify this statement. There are no places canonically that I know of where people have pink hair but the game's descriptions of Green hair in the East and Blue hair in the West makes me think that it would not be a crazy thing to introduce locations where people have pink hair. It also wouldn't be like super weird if it was dyed, could be that it's a cultural dye or just a fashion trend wherever a character is from.
          Last edited by Leetsepeak; 03-18-2017, 01:45 AM.


          Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

          Comment


          • Would I be gaming the system if i make a non-combat twilight and use a celestial 3 working to give him the ability to transform into not-Octavin. Something like bruce banner/hulk but without the lack of control.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Shaddar View Post
              Would I be gaming the system if i make a non-combat twilight and use a celestial 3 working to give him the ability to transform into not-Octavin. Something like bruce banner/hulk but without the lack of control.
              Incomparable Body Arsenal

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Shaddar View Post
                Would I be gaming the system if i make a non-combat twilight and use a celestial 3 working to give him the ability to transform into not-Octavin. Something like bruce banner/hulk but without the lack of control.
                I'm fine with it, as long as the Twilight can't use Solar combat charms in Octavian form.


                Comment


                • Originally posted by Shaddar View Post
                  Would I be gaming the system if i make a non-combat twilight and use a celestial 3 working to give him the ability to transform into not-Octavin. Something like bruce banner/hulk but without the lack of control.
                  I'm pretty sure that's just "using the system as intended".
                  You pay EXP for Workings, afterall. The specifics are up to you and your ST to figure out because it's very case by case.
                  Generally speaking, instead of straight up disallowing Charms, it might still be a good idea to treat the stat-buffs you'd get as Charm Dice.


                  Jade-Screened Exalted Finding the Path
                  Need a dice-roller? Check out Dicemat.

                  Comment


                  • It does cost XP, but a specific amount of XP (in this case, probably 8, possibly 6). Morke, who wrote the workings rules, has said that you should work with the ST to make something balanced. So that ought to really include the XP cost.

                    So the question is, does turning into Octavian (and for the sake of the argument, not being able to access your usual charmset) seem like something that's worth about the same as a spell? Or perhaps something that's a bit more powerful than one charm (as you had to use a lot of downtime to get the working off), but probably not worth as much as 2 charms.

                    (Obviously it's out of theme for Solars, but that's fine because that's the point of sorcery).


                    Also, I've often wondered about this: if workings can give you a power that you can turn on and off when you like... why is that not a spell? A permanent change to you (like the scorpion-blood or magic tongue mentioned I think in the core), sure, but is giving you a power that does nothing except when you activate it actually what a working should do?

                    Turning into a giant monster when you want to, tbh, sounds like a spell rather than a working.

                    Though an effect that turned you into a monster when certain conditions were met (ie when you got angry, rather than when you felt like it) does seem more like a working.

                    (Then being an out-of-control Hulk, or an in-control Hulk, would I guess depend on the Finesse of the working.)


                    "Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

                    Comment


                    • You know, its true that this could be a spell. I may have been to fixed on doing a working that i didnt notice that.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                        It does cost XP, but a specific amount of XP (in this case, probably 8, possibly 6). Morke, who wrote the workings rules, has said that you should work with the ST to make something balanced. So that ought to really include the XP cost.

                        So the question is, does turning into Octavian (and for the sake of the argument, not being able to access your usual charmset) seem like something that's worth about the same as a spell? Or perhaps something that's a bit more powerful than one charm (as you had to use a lot of downtime to get the working off), but probably not worth as much as 2 charms.

                        (Obviously it's out of theme for Solars, but that's fine because that's the point of sorcery).
                        Yeah, it depends. If it's closer to Deadly Beastman Transformation* (+1 in some stats) then probably? If it pushes your stats to 6+, it warrants some limits.

                        Also, I've often wondered about this: if workings can give you a power that you can turn on and off when you like... why is that not a spell? A permanent change to you (like the scorpion-blood or magic tongue mentioned I think in the core), sure, but is giving you a power that does nothing except when you activate it actually what a working should do?

                        Turning into a giant monster when you want to, tbh, sounds like a spell rather than a working.

                        Though an effect that turned you into a monster when certain conditions were met (ie when you got angry, rather than when you felt like it) does seem more like a working.

                        (Then being an out-of-control Hulk, or an in-control Hulk, would I guess depend on the Finesse of the working.)
                        I think the difference comes down to (and is meant to come down to) "all sorcerers can do this" vs "this one sorcerer does this", because even copied workings won't be exactly the same (what with Finesse and all)

                        That said I think it'd be fair to model the activation as a spell, but wanting it to be an innate part of the character instead of a learned, codified thing is pretty darn valid.


                        * I am not suggesting using workings to copy splat-specific powers


                        Jade-Screened Exalted Finding the Path
                        Need a dice-roller? Check out Dicemat.

                        Comment


                        • What stats would you use for making an attack by throwing a Barrel or a Boulder, would they just be Heavy thrown with an Improvised tag? How do you represent Boulders of different sizes like throwing one the size of a bowling ball, one the size of a man, and one the size of a carriage?


                          It is a time for great deeds!

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                            What stats would you use for making an attack by throwing a Barrel or a Boulder, would they just be Heavy thrown with an Improvised tag?
                            Most likely.

                            Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                            How do you represent Boulders of different sizes like throwing one the size of a bowling ball, one the size of a man, and one the size of a carriage?
                            Once a rock gets past a certain threshold, I'd argue that it getting any bigger isn't really gonna change its combat stats beyond the Strength + Athletics to move it.

                            Comment


                            • That's fair, however if made into a trap they would alter the stats of the trap. Which is weird, perhaps we will get more guidelines of traps later on.

                              I wish they made a maximum damage for fall damage, its weird it acts like there is no maximum velocity and falling from 600 miles would exponentially more damaging then falling from ten miles.


                              It is a time for great deeds!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                                I wish they made a maximum damage for fall damage, its weird it acts like there is no maximum velocity and falling from 600 miles would exponentially more damaging then falling from ten miles.
                                It does have a maximum though. There's a single damage value for extreme range falls, regardless of whether that's four range bands or forty.


                                Infernals - To Rule in Hell (complete first draft)
                                3e Dragon Kings (complete)
                                My martial arts (includes Eye of Heaven, White Veil, Obsidian Shards and more)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X