Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lanaya View Post
    It does have a maximum though. There's a single damage value for extreme range falls, regardless of whether that's four range bands or forty.
    Well then the wording is very confusing because it sounds like it can go beyond one Extreme Range Band.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

• Yeah, but if that happens you're still at Extreme Range, so you still get 7-10 levels + 10-14 dice of lethal.
      I'd tend towards the higher damage for the longer falls.

Comment

• I think that once you get past the Extreme range band damage you might decide as an ST that landing without doing anything to arrest your fall might just be treated as uncountable damage.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

• In Ex3, the whole thing about humanity being prayer cattle battery, and is so weak that the Primordial didn't bother to geas them will probably never be refer again, right ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jen View Post
            In Ex3, the whole thing about humanity being prayer cattle battery, and is so weak that the Primordial didn't bother to geas them will probably never be refer again, right ?
            The former, yes, the latter, perhaps.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fata-Ku View Post
              Yeah, it depends. If it's closer to Deadly Beastman Transformation* (+1 in some stats) then probably? If it pushes your stats to 6+, it warrants some limits.

I think the difference comes down to (and is meant to come down to) "all sorcerers can do this" vs "this one sorcerer does this", because even copied workings won't be exactly the same (what with Finesse and all)

That said I think it'd be fair to model the activation as a spell, but wanting it to be an innate part of the character instead of a learned, codified thing is pretty darn valid.

* I am not suggesting using workings to copy splat-specific powers

Needing a spell to activate your latent working also creates the potentially amazing story plot where someone else learns the spell to activate your transformation, or learns how to Distort it.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

• Wasn't there a charm that allowed you to keep a huge armory in Elsewhere? Or was that only in 2nd addition?

Comment

• Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                  Wasn't there a charm that allowed you to keep a huge armory in Elsewhere? Or was that only in 2nd addition?
                  Second edition inkmonkeys. It was an upgrade to summon loyal steel.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                    Wasn't there a charm that allowed you to keep a huge armory in Elsewhere? Or was that only in 2nd addition?

That was 2ed. Probably in Lords of Creation.

Comment

• Question about the Defend Other combat action. If I am attacking and I overcome the "guardians" defense, I get to choose if I want to attack/dmg the guardian or the original target. If I choose to go for the original target, do I then have to roll my threshold successes against the original target's defense? I am a tad confused by the corebook's wording.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cydoc View Post
                        Question about the Defend Other combat action. If I am attacking and I overcome the "guardians" defense, I get to choose if I want to attack/dmg the guardian or the original target. If I choose to go for the original target, do I then have to roll my threshold successes against the original target's defense? I am a tad confused by the corebook's wording.
                        You don't roll your threshold successes, they're just applied as they are. If you score 10 successes against someone with defence 4 and the person defending has parry 7, you can either hit the person defending with 3 threshold or compare that 3 threshold to the original target's 4 defence. Obviously that would miss, so you would probably want to hit the defender instead. With one more success you could choose to hit the defender with a threshold of 4 or hit the original target with no threshold.

Infernals - To Rule in Hell
                        Simple Solar > Abyssal conversion rules
                        3e Dragon Kings
                        My martial arts

Comment

• Originally posted by Cydoc View Post
                          Question about the Defend Other combat action. If I am attacking and I overcome the "guardians" defense, I get to choose if I want to attack/dmg the guardian or the original target. If I choose to go for the original target, do I then have to roll my threshold successes against the original target's defense? I am a tad confused by the corebook's wording.
                          My interpretation is that "use the threshold successes to attempt to overcome the original target's defences" means that you don't reroll. You have already rolled, added bonuses and reduced the result by the guardian's parry to obtain the threshold successes. You may then choose either to apply damage to the guardian xor let the threshold successes be further reduced by the ward's defence to see if it over comes that too.

Comment

• Ok, thanks to both of you. That how it seemed to me but the wording made me confused and wasn't sure if an additional roll was required.

Comment

• So would you allow someone to parry something like the Blood Apes Roar attack with just a Single Shining Point into the Void style and an excellency? I was wanting such things to be unparreable without special powers, but since the character Exalted in that scene and was pushed into a corner I allowed it. But normally I am thinking about having it be more of an Unparreable attack that can only be dodged or parried with something like a shield.

Also I had a giant demon do something like a divebomber leap attack and was thinking I was wanting that to be unparreable unless you are strong enough to halt a boulder, but once again it was the character just exalting, so I allowed him to slightly deflect the attack by whacking the foot.

I'm thinking normally I may not of allowed this with just excellencies and normal blades. So maybe I'll have the sword be damaged when we return next week. Thoughts on the nature of Unparreable and Undodgeable attacks? I'm all for them being stopped with charms, but just an excellency seems hmmmm...

Comment

• Though arguments can be proffered to house-rule it as either, or both, as written, Shattering Roar is neither Unblockable nor Undodgeable. So if a weapon can be used to parry, it can be used to parry a Shattering Roar.

Attacks are either Un(defend)able or they are not. There is no "Unblockable Except..." or "Undodgeable Unless...." granularity, and I'm not sure adding extra qualifiers would be worth the effort.

Rather it is a good opportunity for some creative wuxia stunts to describe how the sword "slashes apart the very air", "whips up the wind", or "strikes a dissonant chord", to parry a shattering roar. Or even:
                                Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                                slightly deflect the attack by whacking the foot.
                                Last edited by Greyman; 03-20-2017, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X