Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Elkovash View Post

Its listed as permanent because buying the charm gives you an additional supernatural ability to invoke the chimera coils that is not itself an activation of a charm (this is free of potential combo complications and timing issues). Since you activate it by committing motes, it ends when you release them.

Similar to that Tiger Frenzy charm in Tiger Style at the end. It gives a permanant enhancement to the form (so it is a permanant charm) but it needs to be activated separately.
    And

Originally posted by Odd_Canuck View Post
    Generally charms are not there to screw over players with "gotcha! Now you're secretly trapped as a flying fish!" I would say they can transform back at any time they want to.
    Thank you both! Guess I get to avoid being paraded around as a Solar's Raksha servant.

Comment

• I can't find whether this has been asked or not:

What does it mean for a Hearthstone to have no tags? It's neither Linked nor Steady, neither Manse-Born nor Wild-Born? Is it an error or is it just an indication of "it doesn't matter"?

Edit: ugh, I'm bad at reading. nevermind.
      Last edited by Fata-Ku; 03-24-2017, 04:31 PM.

Jade-Screened Exalted Finding the Path
      Need a dice-roller? Check out Dicemat.

Comment

• Has someone homebrewed Flamespears yet?

Restoring demonic glory in Infernals:What Hell Has Wrought

Comment

• Is there any inherent benefit to socketing a hearthstone? I refer to hearthstones that don't explicitly require it, artifacts that don't need them to be powered, and no dependent/linked/etc shenanigans. Example - Iron Soul Stone, Hearthstone Bracers. What's the point of socketing the hearthstone?

In previous editions they increased mote respiration when socketed, as if you were in the manse or demense, but I can't find any evidence of them providing that benefit anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by tyranny12 View Post
            In previous editions they increased mote respiration when socketed, as if you were in the manse or demense, but I can't find any evidence of them providing that benefit anymore.
            They do. It's in the description of the hearthstone merit.

"If a hearthstone is linked to a manse, and the manse’s owner places the hearthstone in a specially-designed socket in an attuned artifact, then the character enjoys the benefits of standing within the manse wherever she goes (see the Manse Merit, p. 163)."

Infernals - To Rule in Hell (complete first draft)
            3e Dragon Kings (complete)
            My martial arts (includes Eye of Heaven, White Veil, Obsidian Shards and more)

Comment

• I think linked hearthsones provide that benefit, because they make it as if you're standing in the manse. Steady ones don't. The only reason to socket a steady hearthstone is to activate a dependent one.

Or just as somewhere to keep it, I guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lanaya View Post
                They do. It's in the description of the hearthstone merit.

"If a hearthstone is linked to a manse, and the manse’s owner places the hearthstone in a specially-designed socket in an attuned artifact, then the character enjoys the benefits of standing within the manse wherever she goes (see the Manse Merit, p. 163)."
                On the other hand, we don't yet know what might be those benefits , and it only applies to linked hearthstones.

​So, no, there is no documented benefit to socketing a hearthstone unless either the hearthstone or the artefact require the socketing to grant powers (see also dependent hearthstones). However, at the very least, it keeps the hearthstone safe at hand.
                Last edited by Greyman; 03-25-2017, 04:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greyman View Post
                  On the other hand, we don't yet know what might be those benefits , and it only applies to linked hearthstones.

​So, no, there is no documented benefit to socketing a hearthstone unless either the hearthstone or the artefact require the socketing to grant powers (see also dependent hearthstones). However, at the very least, it keeps the hearthstone safe at hand.
                  Standing in the boundary of an attuned manse has the same benefits of standing in the boundary of a demense.

Originally posted by Exalted: 3rd Edition - Core Book, pg 160
                  A character attuned to a demesne who stands within its boundaries enjoys certain benefits. Outside of combat, he respires an additional two motes of Essence per hour, and may re exively roll (Perception + Occult, di culty 3) to sense any active expenditure of Essence within the de- mesne’s boundaries. The demesne can also be used as a Means for sorcerous workings which resonate with its nature (pgs. 487-488), granting one extra interval.
                  As a four-dot Merit, the character gains control of an ex- ceptionally powerful demesne. She respires four extra motes per hour outside of combat, the di culty to detect Essence-use becomes 1, and using the demesne as a Means grants two extra intervals.
                  Socketing your hearthstone increases out of combat mote recovery, allows you to be aware of any essence use in your manse and if you are a sorcerer, allows you to use its power as a means however distant you might be.

If the hearthstone is not linked to a manse, then none of the above applies.
                  Last edited by Elkovash; 03-25-2017, 04:33 PM.

My Homebrew: Architect of the Regal Puppet Style (WIP) || Monkey Style || Radiant Halo of Incandescent Might || Pale Driver, Ruination of the Edifice of Tyranny || Sublime Percussion, Just a Whole lot of Fun || Idris, The Graceful Heart of Purpose

Comment

• Originally posted by Elkovash View Post
                    If the hearthstone is not linked to a manse, then none of the above applies.
                    For word-choice clarity, note that a hearthstone doesn't need the Linked keyword to be linked to a manse; it just needs to draw power from a manse rather than a demesne.

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
                      For word-choice clarity, note that a hearthstone doesn't need the Linked keyword to be linked to a manse; it just needs to draw power from a manse rather than a demesne.
                      That's worthwhile to know. The other posts and this also clarify what I thought about the Iron Soul Stone, being wild-born and steady if I remember correctly it's a good example of 'well it's a place to put it' with regards to hearthstone sockets.

Comment

• Does the Realm has any kind of symbol for wealth ?

I would have use the yuanbao (Chinese inspiration and all) but...... how does Dynast feel about gold, too Anathema ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jen View Post
                          Does the Realm has any kind of symbol for wealth?
                          Might have to clarify a little.

Originally posted by Jen View Post
                          I would have use the yuanbao (Chinese inspiration and all) but...... how does Dynast feel about gold, too Anathema ?
                          Gold is still valuable in the Realm - it just isn't used as a formal currency the way jade is.

Comment

• I also remember, unless I'm wrong, the section on currency states that it's also not used as currency anywhere as much as silver is in the Threshold---gold's value is overall mostly decorative.

Abyssals: Whom Death Has Called, a PEACH-as-heck attempt to make an Abyssal 3E holdover.

Where I try to make Artifacts. When I finish them I'll probably post them in the Artifact Workshop thread so people can help me hammer them into shape.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beans View Post
                              gold's value is overall mostly decorative.
                              This is how I remember it too; Gold is just not useful for Dynasts in any way save for decoration, since their money is Jade-backed (and they have no use for efficient electrical conductors...yet).

That said, as far as symbols of wealth go, a yuanbao seems pretty appropriate. Coin swords too, possibly.

Jade-Screened Exalted Finding the Path
                              Need a dice-roller? Check out Dicemat.

Comment

• Gold does have one practical use in Creation: You can turn it into orichalcum.

No so useful for dynasts, but they might use a bit here and there.

Comment

Working...
                                X