Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jen View Post
    Is there an ancient version of the word "bankrupt" ? Or a phrase that means "ruin someone economically" ?
    Ruin is actually a pretty good word. It's not specific, but it is often used in the exact context you're asking about. "I'll ruin you" often refers to financially, even if it can mean other things.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
    I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

• Ruin, though it's not specific. Make destitute would work.

EDIT: Aaand there was another page I didn't see.
      Last edited by Ellis; 03-31-2017, 04:36 PM. Reason: singing the praises of the unsung hero

But sexually.

Comment

Is there an ancient version of the word "bankrupt" ? Or a phrase that means "ruin someone economically" ?

Rather than the word, does the concept of Bankruptcy even exist?

Remember that bankruptcy is a particular invention of societies that would allow someone to fall into financial ruin and to basically be left to their own devices. I've always imagined that the Realm has a system more like the ancient greeks, whereby if a person falls into debt then they have to pay off their debt through 'debt slavery' to their debtors. Which would have a different word and concept than 'bankrupt'.

The idea is also evident in some European societies as 'indentured servitude' which was used as a way to pay off obligations.

In a world of Exalts and god-blooded and other individuals of power, I imagine a debt of honour paid through slavery would be a valuable asset, as well as motivation for plots and manipulations to drive such people into debt slavery.

But it would require a different word hat 'bankruptcy'.

Visit me at Tales of Grey - my RPG Game-Master's blog.

"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy, I could have won" - I gave you all, Mumford & Sons

Comment

• Well pauperism, destitute, finnancial insolvency, or economic liquidation would all pretty much mean that a person is either unable to pay debts or can be used to say that one is being driven to such a state.

You could also probably use privation as that basically means that a person lacks the usual comforts or necessities of live.
          Last edited by nalak42; 04-01-2017, 03:33 AM.

Comment

• There's no set rules for disarming traps in the core is there? I mean I looked and all I found was the pairing for detecting a trap. I presume that means we're to use our own calls on what pairing is used to disarm a trap and not that I missed a bit that says trap disarming is a survival skill or something?
            Last edited by nalak42; 04-01-2017, 11:15 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
              There's no set rules for disarming traps in the core is there? I mean I looked and all I found was the pairing for detecting a trap. I presume that means we're to use our own calls on what pairing is used to disarm a trap and not that a blot that says trap disarming is a survival skill or something?
              This is correct.

Infernals - To Rule in Hell (complete first draft)
              3e Dragon Kings (complete)
              My martial arts (includes Eye of Heaven, White Veil, Obsidian Shards and more)

Comment

• So Taru-Han is the goddess of dying.....ummm.....what is the different between a deity of dying and a deity of death ?

Comment

So Taru-Han is the goddess of dying.....ummm.....what is the different between a deity of dying and a deity of death ?
                  IMO Deities of dying probably deal with people who are still alive but are going to die soon -- the sick, the wounded, those who are bleeding to death, maybe others (suicidal depression? heart attacks?).

Whereas deities of death deal with what happens after: souls, burials, etc.

It's like doctors vs morticians.

Jade-Screened Exalted Finding the Path
                  Need a dice-roller? Check out Dicemat.

Comment

So Taru-Han is the goddess of dying.....ummm.....what is the different between a deity of dying and a deity of death ?
                    Thanatos vs Hades is another example.

Restoring demonic glory in Infernals:What Hell Has Wrought

Comment

You could have a god of the Process of Dying - Dying from plague, dying in an accident, dying in battle, dying of old age, etc. Then you have gods related to death - a god of funerals, a god of bodily decay, a god of cannibalism, etc.

Taru-Han is the goddess in charge of the Process of Dying and the transportation of souls into Lethe. Whenever someone dies, for whatever reason, it falls under Taru-Han's purview, as does sending souls to Lethe. She has Soul Collectors, minor servitor gods who do the work of herding souls where they need to go, and lesser gods of specific causes of death (like accidents or old age) report to her.

Comment

​Taru-Han governs the moment at which the soul departs the body, particularly in administering the minor gods who actually ferry the souls back to Yu-Shan. She is disproportionately powerful as a result of the Great Contagion.

​She has no authority over how or when or why people die, nor the resulting destination of the soul (barring occasions where she illegally keeps a few for her own collection), just the instance in which it actually occurs.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• I know that in Exalted death is final and irreversible, but what would/could/should happen if a ghost eats one of the peaches of immortality?

Alternatively, what horrible thing might happen that could make it a plot device to stop a ghost from eating a peach.

EDIT: Also, which 2E book details the effects of the Peaches of Immortality? I can find mention of the orchards in Yu-Shan but little on the peaches themselves
                          Last edited by CapitanTypo; 04-02-2017, 08:25 PM.

Visit me at Tales of Grey - my RPG Game-Master's blog.

"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy, I could have won" - I gave you all, Mumford & Sons

Comment

• Originally posted by CapitanTypo View Post
                            I know that in Exalted death is final and irreversible, but what would/could/should happen if a ghost eats one of the peaches of immortality?

Alternatively, what horrible thing might happen that could make it a plot device to stop a ghost from eating a peach.

EDIT: Also, which 2E book details the effects of the Peaches of Immortality? I can find mention of the orchards in Yu-Shan but little on the peaches themselves
                            What happens when you tell a calculator to divide by zero?

Comment

• Originally posted by CapitanTypo View Post
                              I know that in Exalted death is final and irreversible, but what would/could/should happen if a ghost eats one of the peaches of immortality?

A ghost who eats a Peach of Immortality probably says, "Yummy," and that's about it.

That said, it sounds like a neat idea. If I were running a game and included this plot, I'd probably have the ghost turn into something else, as it finds itself being overcharged with life Essence. Maybe it would turn into some kind of spirit and no longer feel at home in the Underworld. All said, I don't think I'd have anything overly negative happen from a ghost eating a peach of immortality.

Comment

• I don't think the 2e books do detail the Peaches. There's plenty of info in Exalted - the Sidereals.

Comment

Working...
                                X