Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jen View Post
    Does anybody has ideas for a death-theme scythe that doesn't involve screaming faces, bloodied steel or rotting bone and flesh ?
    You could go with Death as a piece of the cycle as an offshoot theme. Consider the Scythe's agricultural purpose- it's death for the wheat, but life and sustenace to the man. The scythe kills to bridges a gap, bringing a clean, quick moment of death to those it shears. It kills those who are already suffering more peacefully, perhaps even giving them a measure of comfort before they die, knowing their soul will be part of the world once more.

This artifact might be very ancient, ancient to before the time when the cycle was broken, or perhaps it's just ingested a lot of immaculate propaganda on the cycle of re-incarnation.

Incentive is not permission or justification.

Comment

• I want to make an artifact that can impose the effect of binding a demon (Defining tie of loyalty, resolve of 0, etc). The artifact cant be removed without killing the target, but it only works on a specific person person chosen before making the artifact. Im hoping to lower the requirements with that severe restriction.
      What would be the rating of that artifact?
      Last edited by Sakii; 04-19-2017, 10:59 AM.

Comment

• I've got a picture of a soulsteel scythe with attached bells that tone ominously as it is swung, that might have a power of slowly and carefully drawing the will to struggle away from a target as its blade arcs through their anima and the tone calls to them, leading up to a finishing move based on the target prostrating themselves for being struck down.

Hmm, might be a way to translate the Burial Blade from Bloodborne.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• (x post from Ask the Devs...)

Question re: interaction between "Burning Coal Fist" (evocation of Candent Carbuncle, p.607) and "Hammer on Iron Technique" (p.278)

BCF supplementing the simple HoIT, one reading suggests that activating BCF once (i.e., 3m) effects the entire series of attacks generated by HoIT (i.e., allowing x 10s to reroll per attack).

Or should it be 3m per attack created by HoIT?
          Last edited by mizzlfoshizzl; 04-19-2017, 11:54 AM.

Comment

• So, this came up when I was talking with a player for my upcoming game. They wanted to know if Brawl, which is described in the ability book as punching, kicking, etc in an instinctive way, can be used while also holding other weapons. In this particular example, they wanted to know if, while wielding two flame pieces (The pistol forms), they'd be able to use brawl to attack in cases where their pieces are out of ammunition, without having to put them away. Soon enough, I ruled that since they had quick draw, they could sheathe the guns and flurry a brawl attack action instead, but I'm still curious.

On the one hand, using brawl attacks while wielding two of any weapon in your hands seems like it'd be clunky, but it doesn't explicitly state you can't, at least as far as I can tell?

BEHOLD! GLORIOUS SOLAR MONKEY!

My avatar was made by Jen!

Comment

• Quick question about Excellencies and their interaction with other charms. Can I use an excellency to enhance a roll that another charm asks for?

For example. Can I use the Lore Excellency to enhance the roll that Force-Draining Whisper requires?

Comment

• Originally posted by Embustero View Post
                Quick question about Excellencies and their interaction with other charms. Can I use an excellency to enhance a roll that another charm asks for?

For example. Can I use the Lore Excellency to enhance the roll that Force-Draining Whisper requires?
                Yup, you sure can. The only time you wouldn't be able to is if the charm specifies a roll "cannot be enhanced with other magic", like Diamond-Body Prana does.

Comment

• Originally posted by raaabr View Post
                  So, this came up when I was talking with a player for my upcoming game. They wanted to know if Brawl, which is described in the ability book as punching, kicking, etc in an instinctive way, can be used while also holding other weapons. In this particular example, they wanted to know if, while wielding two flame pieces (The pistol forms), they'd be able to use brawl to attack in cases where their pieces are out of ammunition, without having to put them away. Soon enough, I ruled that since they had quick draw, they could sheathe the guns and flurry a brawl attack action instead, but I'm still curious.

On the one hand, using brawl attacks while wielding two of any weapon in your hands seems like it'd be clunky, but it doesn't explicitly state you can't, at least as far as I can tell?
                  Weeell, you can always treat the flame pieces as cudgels. Brawl also works with brawling aids and improvised weapons. But yes, it is clunky; as noted by the Improvised tag.

Comment

• Can you Rush a guy from Short Range, move towards them into Close with a Move Action and still benefit from the Rush when they Disengage, putting you back into Close Range? (or is it meant to only work when the target moves from short to med, not from close to short?)

Trying to figure out how to make best use of Crimson Leaping Cat Tech.
                    Last edited by Fata-Ku; 04-21-2017, 08:46 AM.

Jade-Screened Exalted Finding the Path
                    Need a dice-roller? Check out Dicemat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fata-Ku View Post
                      Can you Rush a guy from Short Range, move towards them into Close with a Move Action and still benefit from the Rush when they Disengage, putting you back into Close Range? (or is it meant to only work when the target moves from short to med, not from close to short?)

Trying to figure out how to make best use of Crimson Leaping Cat Tech.
                      If you rush and move to close range on the same turn, three possibilities;

1) they have already attempted disengage on their previous turn and your movement would provoke a reflexive retreat which would in turn provoke your reflexive advance, resulting in being close range.

2) they don't bother moving or fail to disengage, you stay in close range.

3) on their next turn they disengage, succeed at disengage moving hem to short, this provokes your advance which in turn provokes heir additional retreat, you end in short range.

My Homebrew: Architect of the Regal Puppet Style (WIP) || Monkey Style || Radiant Halo of Incandescent Might || Pale Driver, Ruination of the Edifice of Tyranny || Sublime Percussion, Just a Whole lot of Fun || Idris, The Graceful Heart of Purpose

Comment

• Originally posted by Jen View Post
                        Does anybody has ideas for a death-theme scythe that doesn't involve screaming faces, bloodied steel or rotting bone and flesh ?
                        Back in 2nd edition I had a player playing Chosen of Endings with a scythe made of Orichalcum and Green Jade called Cycle's Harvester. Her weapon looked more like a traditional farming implement than something made for killing people, and was made of rough-hewn wood and topped with a simple curved sickle.

Whenever Cycle's Harvester was used to slay a ghost, or a zombie or another creature empowered by the Underworld, their body would evaporate and a single stalk of golden, glowing wheat would instantly spring up. The wheat stalk would send out pulses of life and holy essence, dealing more damage to any other ghosts or undead nearby. Any undead killed by those essence pulses would also sprout a stalk of wheat. In this way, it was possible to turn an entire army of undead into a field of wheat, and while the the wheat would lose its magical properties at the end of the scene, it would remain delicious and nutritious afterward.

Comment

• Originally posted by raaabr View Post
                          So, this came up when I was talking with a player for my upcoming game. They wanted to know if Brawl, which is described in the ability book as punching, kicking, etc in an instinctive way, can be used while also holding other weapons. In this particular example, they wanted to know if, while wielding two flame pieces (The pistol forms), they'd be able to use brawl to attack in cases where their pieces are out of ammunition, without having to put them away. Soon enough, I ruled that since they had quick draw, they could sheathe the guns and flurry a brawl attack action instead, but I'm still curious.

Well since the Form charm for Righteous Devil Style specifically allows you to do that, I would say it's intended that normally you can't.

Thing about flame weapons is they're finicky and carefully calibrated. Beating someone with one could easily damage it beyond repair.

At best, I would treat them as improvised weapons, and on a botch probably break them (at least render useless for the remainder of scene until re-calibrated).

Comment

• You could just kick people instead of punching them while holding flamepieces. Alternatively, elbow jabs, headbutts, etc.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

• Originally posted by mizzlfoshizzl View Post

Well since the Form charm for Righteous Devil Style specifically allows you to do that, I would say it's intended that normally you can't.

Thing about flame weapons is they're finicky and carefully calibrated. Beating someone with one could easily damage it beyond repair.

At best, I would treat them as improvised weapons, and on a botch probably break them (at least render useless for the remainder of scene until re-calibrated).
                              ....... the real-world blackpowder firearms flamepieces draw inspiration and form from were often deliberately reinforced for use as melee weapons, with weighted, bulbous grips for smashing.

Comment

• Question about the craft charm Supreme Celestial Focus.
                                Lets say my solar has Essence 3. Does the charm allow me to buy up to 3 crafts with a max rating of 5, or an unlimited amount of crafts but with a rating capped at 3?

Comment

Working...
                                X