Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
    I might need to go to the ask the devs for this, but figured I'd try hear first.
    Would it be within the purview of a god to use a charm like Ahlat's War God Mandate to grant a mortal access to Martial Arts charms in their domain? I have a traditionalist city god looking to balance the odds when an upstart Solar(Ma-Supernal) son challenges his mortal father to a duel.
    i don't think this should be able to be done en-mass, but there are examples of beings being granted even mastery level access to martial arts under certain circumstances. An example being Mara having mastery access to black claw style as its maker.
    I would think that if a city god apointed a mortal as their city champion then it might be fair to even grant them mastery level access to the martial art if it was a martial art closely associated with the city god, or if the city god himself had a history of promoting his town as a place where intensive martial arts study was encouraged.
    It really depends on if you can make it appropriate to the themes i think.

Second CIrcle Demon: C'al Siphar The Benevolent Flame; Sorcerous Initiation: Symbiosis Of The Burning Heart; First Circle Demons: Rijal Al'Ghurban & Sharar Al'Najm First Draft Complete!!
    Merit Representing Control Of An Organization: Executive Leadership

Comment

• Originally posted by limaxophobiac View Post

To be clear you mean parrying the attack with your Melee Parry?

How is it an offshoot other than having it as a prerequisite? There's plenty of charms that have prerequisite charms with completely unrelated effects and I don't think there's anything that says that rules that affect a prerequisite charm will affect charms further down the tree.

I mean I don't really think allowing HSP to work together with defenses and attacks of other abilities is a good rule, because clashing with HSP or Doe Eyes alone is already stupid enough without allowing them to be comboed. I'm just trying to clear up what the rules for using charms of diffrent abilities actually are.
      Not really rules that say that prereqs form the latter charms, but when trying to figure out how stuff works it helps to see what its related to. In this case it seems like a pretty clear move from Dipping Swallow enabling you to "perfect" your parry and be able to use it at max regardless of circumstances and then moving forward to being to use those parry conditions in Hail Shattering to make your opponent less accurate. Since the alternative in the wording would imply one just wills f* ups to happen and that just doesn't feel like being a master of melee combat to me.

Comment

• Alright, I would like to ask a number of interrelated questions, essentially soliciting your advice on various elements, both mechanical and narrative, from the scenario I'm prepping for my players. Is that something I can do or will the mods swoop down on me with the righteous fury of the Unconquered Suns? Do I write one long post describing everything I'd like to receive feedback on or do I divide it into smaller posts, each relating to just one or two linked concepts?

Thank you!

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post

D) The demon's Defining Tie of loyalty to the summoner remains unchanged. The summoner just happens to be dead.

Quoth Vance:

"A year-and-day demon ... stays bound to you past your death, and does what its loyalty urges it to. A blood ape will avenge you, a neomah might draw out some of your blood before you die so that your lineage might live on."

Oh, wow. That would have changed things significantly in our last session. Good to know for the future! Thank you!

DrLoveMonkey - "On the other hand having a warhammer that's basically a steel beer keg on the end of a seven foot pole is fucking awesome."

Comment

• Originally posted by Roswynn View Post
            Alright, I would like to ask a number of interrelated questions, essentially soliciting your advice on various elements, both mechanical and narrative, from the scenario I'm prepping for my players. Is that something I can do or will the mods swoop down on me with the righteous fury of the Unconquered Suns? Do I write one long post describing everything I'd like to receive feedback on or do I divide it into smaller posts, each relating to just one or two linked concepts?

Thank you!
            Might be better to just put it in the form of its own thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roswynn View Post
              will the mods swoop down on me with the righteous fury of the Unconquered Suns?
              ​All else aside, you're not going to be moderated unless you break actual rules.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
              Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
              https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                Might be better to just put it in the form of its own thread.
                Alright, will do! Thanks!

Isator Levi, apparently I can't quote you! But yeah, I know - I'm just a little tense I might inadvertedly break some rules... and I don't actually remember all of them, I go mostly by common sense. Which I sometimes lack, hence my question.

Comment

• Could I get a list of canonical references to the sunken continent in the West?

Comment

• What happens if character A defends other for character B, and an enemy attacks character B and beats character As defense but not with enough successes left over to overcome character Bs defense, and the attack is inapplicable to character A? For example if an unarmed character defends other for an armed character against a disarm attempt.

Nothing?

Is the attacker forced to try to strike the innitial target?

If not does the attacker lose initiative for a failed decisive attack even though he beat the defense value? Does he lose innitiative equal to gambit difficulty +1 even though he didn't get to roll for the gambit?
                    Last edited by limaxophobiac; 07-11-2017, 03:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by limaxophobiac View Post
                      What happens if character A defends other for character B, and an enemy attacks character B and beats character As defense but not with enough successes left over to overcome character Bs defense, and the attack is inapplicable to character A? For example if an unarmed character defends other for an armed character against a disarm attempt.

Nothing?

Is the attacker forced to try to strike the innitial target?

If not does the attacker lose initiative for a failed decisive attack even though he beat the defense value? Does he lose innitiative equal to gambit difficulty +1 even though he didn't get to roll for the gambit?
                      That's an interesting corner case. Based on the RAW for Defend Other:

Should an attack defeat the guardian’s Parry, the attacker may choose either to apply the attack to the guardian, or may attempt to strike his original target by using his threshold successes to attempt to overcome the original target’s Defense.
                      and gambits:

If the attack fails, he loses Initiative as normal (p. 191).
                      Regardless of the gambit’s success, the character loses a number of Initiative equal to the gambit’s difficulty + 1.
                      I'd say, you have the choice of attempting to strike the original target (knowing you will fail), costing you 2-3 initiative, or applying the attack to the guardian, which also automatically fails, costing you (difficulty + 1) initiative.

Comment

• I guess you better not try disarm attempts while there's unarmed crane stylists around.

Comment

• The larceny charms in Exalted 2E say that they cannot be used to steal an attuned artifact. So then how DOES someone go about stealing an attuned artifact?

Visit me at Tales of Grey - my RPG Game-Master's blog.

"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy, I could have won" - I gave you all, Mumford & Sons

Comment

• Originally posted by CapitanTypo View Post
                            The larceny charms in Exalted 2E say that they cannot be used to steal an attuned artifact. So then how DOES someone go about stealing an attuned artifact?
                            Taking it from them via other means.

For example, find a way to forcibly de-attune the artifact. With it unattuned, it becomes a valid target for your thievery.

Alternatively, Disarm them, and pray they don't have Call the Blade as you race to pick it up before them.

Convince them to "just let you hold it for a second," and then Mountain-Crossing Leap Technique away.

Another option, kill them and loot it off their corpse.

How about you tail them, wait until they put it down for a second, have a buddy distract them, and then seize the artifact and run like hell, screeching wildly.
                            Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 07-11-2017, 08:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                              Taking it from them via other means.

For example, find a way to forcibly de-attune the artifact. With it unattuned, it becomes a valid target for your thievery.
                              I suppose this is what I was getting at. Is it possible for a Solar (being, as they were in 2E the indisputable lords of all power and creation) to break someone else's attunement to their artifact?

Visit me at Tales of Grey - my RPG Game-Master's blog.

"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy, I could have won" - I gave you all, Mumford & Sons

Comment

• Two questions. Is a Sidereal's anima banner like a Solar's? You know has inherent powers, can flair up and all that stuff. I can never remember.

What does a Sid's banner do?

I know that it hasn't been set down for 3rd, but I'm mostly operating under the assumption they have anima banners because I can't think why they wouldn't.

Comment

Working...
                                X