Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CapitanTypo View Post
    In 2E, is there anyway a solar can claim/create/occupy a sprits sanctum?
    As per the Book of Sorcery Volume IV-Rolls of Glorious Divinity I, Gods and Elementals, a permanently dead god's sanctum will usually gradually fade from existence, lasting no more than weeks. However, very rarely one might survive forever, through some unspecified cause, and become prized by anyone who finds and can use such.

​1: permanently dead, means as slain by Ghost Eating Technique, murder by another god, or such. Normally a temporarily dead god will eventually reform inside the sanctum.

​2: unspecified cause means only by storyteller plot device. Ergo...

Comment

• After reading through Steel Devil due to the other thread on it currently, I have two question, one about a single charm and one again about the rules for combining charms in general:

1. Does the disarm gambit from Iron Lotus Unfurling require an attack roll, or just an initiative roll for the gambit? The charm has the counterattack keyword but it also allows you to do a Sonic Slash attack if the disarm succeeds so does it let you create 2 attacks, one disarm and one Sonic Slash, or is the disarm just a simple initiative roll and the potential Sonic Slash is the counterattack?

(This is based on having been told previously that the text of 426 about combining martial arts with other abilities is only supposed to make it clear that the rules for using charms from different abilities are the same for MA as other abilities even if they use the same weapons as melee or brawl, so if that's wrong and it's supposed to mean something else you can just skip the rest of this but it would be cool to know exactly what the meaning is supposed to be.)

A lot like my previous HSP question can you use Twin-Blade Defense to create a second parry even if the first parry was not a Steel Devil/MA parry? The text under Reflexive on page 253 doesn't make it all that clear. So really what are the rules for using charms from different abilities actually supposed to be? Because this can be said for other charms too like Solar Counterattack where there's no text I can find that actually says that it can only be used when you are using your melee parry against the attack, only that you must use Melee for the counterattack:

"Reflexive Charms which create attacks generally do so with the Ability they belong to, unless the governing Ability can’t normally attack or unless otherwise noted. Reflexive Charms which enhance static values may generally only enhance static values deriving from their governing Ability, unless otherwise indicated. For example, Dipping Swallow Defense will only remove penalties from a Melee-based Parry attempt."

Is the most relevant text I can find, but neither HSP, Twin-Blade Defense, Solar Counterattack, Doe Eyes Defense, and probably more reflexive combat charms actually enhance a static value. So RAW it's not clear when you can and can't use them.

There doesn't seem to be any text that says you can't activate reflexive charms of different abilities in response to a single action/attack by an enemy, and in addition such a rule would be horrible for resistance charms which would then not be possible to combine with Parry/Evasion increasing charms against an attack since resistance charms have no special text that says they can be combined with charms of other abilities if such a rule is supposed to be implied.
      Last edited by limaxophobiac; 07-17-2017, 11:57 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by limaxophobiac View Post
        After reading through Steel Devil due to the other thread on it currently, I have two question, one about a single charm and one again about the rules for combining charms in general:

1. Does the disarm gambit from Iron Lotus Unfurling require an attack roll, or just an initiative roll for the gambit? The charm has the counterattack keyword but it also allows you to do a Sonic Slash attack if the disarm succeeds so does it let you create 2 attacks, one disarm and one Sonic Slash, or is the disarm just a simple initiative roll and the potential Sonic Slash is the counterattack?

(This is based on having been told previously that the text of 426 about combining martial arts with other abilities is only supposed to make it clear that the rules for using charms from different abilities are the same for MA as other abilities even if they use the same weapons as melee or brawl, so if that's wrong and it's supposed to mean something else you can just skip the rest of this but it would be cool to know exactly what the meaning is supposed to be.)

A lot like my previous HSP question can you use Twin-Blade Defense to create a second parry even if the first parry was not a Steel Devil/MA parry? The text under Reflexive on page 253 doesn't make it all that clear. So really what are the rules for using charms from different abilities actually supposed to be? Because this can be said for other charms too like Solar Counterattack where there's no text I can find that actually says that it can only be used when you are using your melee parry against the attack, only that you must use Melee for the counterattack:

"Reflexive Charms which create attacks generally do so with the Ability they belong to, unless the governing Ability can’t normally attack or unless otherwise noted. Reflexive Charms which enhance static values may generally only enhance static values deriving from their governing Ability, unless otherwise indicated. For example, Dipping Swallow Defense will only remove penalties from a Melee-based Parry attempt."

Is the most relevant text I can find, but neither HSP, Twin-Blade Defense, Solar Counterattack, Doe Eyes Defense, and probably more reflexive combat charms actually enhance a static value. So RAW it's not clear when you can and can't use them.

There doesn't seem to be any text that says you can't activate reflexive charms of different abilities in response to a single action/attack by an enemy, and in addition such a rule would be horrible for resistance charms which would then not be possible to combine with Parry/Evasion increasing charms against an attack since resistance charms have no special text that says they can be combined with charms of other abilities if such a rule is supposed to be implied.

1) Yes, a decisive attack roll is still required for the disarm gambit. In the event of a miss, the character loses 5 Initiative (1 Initiative for missing a Decisive attack, and 4 Initiative for attempting a grapple gambit). In the event of a success, the weapon is disarmed, and the character loses 4 Initiative (the difficulty of the grapple gambit, plus one). Iron Lotus Unfurling is the counterattack, and Sonic Slash is a reflexive charm that creates a new attack which would benefit from the onslaught of the previous counterattack.

2) The "martial arts exclusion principle", as my group prefers to call it, is perhaps the worst-written paragraph of rules in the book. Unless that section is completely rewritten via developer errata, there are so many edge cases that exist that I don't believe anyone knows how it's "supposed" to work and your ST will have to rule on a case-by-case basis. Based on my understanding of RAW and the wording of the charm, since it creates a second parry, I believe it would work, even if your first parry was constituted by your Dexterity + Melee pool or Dexterity + Brawl pool instead of your Dexterity + MA pool. However, your ST is free to rule differently.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iron Phoenix View Post
          Based on my understanding of RAW and the wording of the charm, since it creates a second parry, I believe it would work, even if your first parry was constituted by your Dexterity + Melee pool or Dexterity + Brawl pool instead of your Dexterity + MA pool. However, your ST is free to rule differently.
          That's what the text seems to say to me too, my problem is if you allow these things martial artists basically get to have their cake and eat it too and a whole bunch of unholy gamebreaking combinations become possible that I can't imagine are actually intended.

Comment

• If a demon slips into creation unbidden, is there a point it must return to Malfeas? Like, does it only stay for 1 year?

Restoring demonic glory in Infernals:What Hell Has Wrought

Comment

• Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
              If a demon slips into creation unbidden, is there a point it must return to Malfeas? Like, does it only stay for 1 year?
              Second and 3rd circles maybe since they're more powerful and probably get harried a bit, so they might just handle a thing of interest or two and then head home. A first circle I'd imagine can stay until forced to go home, or it decides to head back. Would potentially make first circles who've slipped a rather useful or interesting resource depending on what one could do.

Comment

• In my games, non-summoned demons called into Creation can succeed on an Essence roll to stay in Creation, with the interval and difficulty based on their circle; first circles roll every year (Diff 1), second circles every month (Diff 3), and third circles every day (Diff 5). And of course a demon may fail the roll voluntarily.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                  In my games, non-summoned demons called into Creation can succeed on an Essence roll to stay in Creation, with the interval and difficulty based on their circle; first circles roll every year (Diff 1), second circles every month (Diff 3), and third circles every day (Diff 5). And of course a demon may fail the roll voluntarily.
                  I like that idea.

Visit me at Tales of Grey - my RPG Game-Master's blog.

"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy, I could have won" - I gave you all, Mumford & Sons

Comment

• So, this is nothing new, and perhaps a stupid question, but I need to understand how it works:

I was looking at Ragara Feria's stats from Adversaries of the Righteous, and I noticed she doesn't make use of Excellencies. Or at least they don't appear on her sheet, the way they do beside the stats of Dragon-Blooded QCs in the core. Of course she doesn't have dice pools, so that wouldn't work, but... well, she doesn't have Excellencies. She has some really cool Charms, but no straight-up dice-adders.

Is there something I'm missing here? Is that just normal for DB characters and it's the QCs who are the exception? I'm confused

Comment

• Originally posted by Roswynn View Post
                      So, this is nothing new, and perhaps a stupid question, but I need to understand how it works:

I was looking at Ragara Feria's stats from Adversaries of the Righteous, and I noticed she doesn't make use of Excellencies. Or at least they don't appear on her sheet, the way they do beside the stats of Dragon-Blooded QCs in the core. Of course she doesn't have dice pools, so that wouldn't work, but... well, she doesn't have Excellencies. She has some really cool Charms, but no straight-up dice-adders.

Is there something I'm missing here? Is that just normal for DB characters and it's the QCs who are the exception? I'm confused
                      Vance stated earlier than DBs would not have broad ability excellencies the way Solar's do. They will have unique dice-adders per ability, more like how 1st edition had it. No flat die-adder rules for them.

Vance's posts on the matter are here, here, here, and here.
                      Last edited by The Unsung Hero; 07-22-2017, 11:01 AM.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
                      I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

• Originally posted by Roswynn View Post
                        So, this is nothing new, and perhaps a stupid question, but I need to understand how it works:

Unsung Hero is correct. Also she does have Dice Adders:

Stoking Bonfire Style, Blinding Sparks Distracting, Glowing Coal Radiance.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post

Unsung Hero is correct. Also she does have Dice Adders:

Stoking Bonfire Style, Blinding Sparks Distracting, Glowing Coal Radiance.

For however long I've been on these forums, reading this post was the first time I've noticed that E in the middle of your username. I've always read it as Leet-speak, rather than Leet-sep-eak.

What's your intended pronunciation of that name, and where did it come from?

Visit me at Tales of Grey - my RPG Game-Master's blog.

"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy, I could have won" - I gave you all, Mumford & Sons

Comment

• Okay... I read Vance's posts - so DBs don't get Excellencies. Other Exalts might, but not them. They get charms like the ones Leetsepeak pointed out - dice-adders with cherries on top.

That's interesting... can't wait for What Fire Has Wrought.

Thank you, The Unsung Hero and Leetsepeak!

Comment

• Originally posted by CapitanTypo View Post

For however long I've been on these forums, reading this post was the first time I've noticed that E in the middle of your username. I've always read it as Leet-speak, rather than Leet-sep-eak.

What's your intended pronunciation of that name, and where did it come from?
                              I say it "Leet-suh-peak" but I think any pronunciation is valid really.

Many years ago, I spent time on a forum for Facepunch Studios. Due to some shenanigans, Leetspeak was banned, and I made an account called Leetsepeak to circumvent the ban. Despite violating the spirit of the first ban, I didn't get banned the second time and just sort of stuck with it.

I don't do shenanigans anymore though. I have mended my ways.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

• I got probably tons of question but I will start slowly so I hopefully don't overwhelm you all XD
                                I play 2nd edition so you all know
                                First question.
                                For people that exalt to Dragon blooded , if they had wyld taint mutation on them, is there a rule that make them lose those kind of taints (ofc ST have a say in that but are there any thing that explain it

Second question
                                Is there any good motivation for a Lunar to dive in to the charm Flesh-sculpting art and how they would do it without any other Lunar helping them

think this will be all for now . Thanks beforehand and have a nice day/evening

Comment

Working...
                                X