No announcement yet.

Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopefully simple enough lore question... which way does the River of Tears run? From the White Sea down to the Inner Sea, or vice versa?

Comment

• From the Inland Sea to the White Sea. It was engineered to run backward, with special manses along its banks to desalinate the waters. Unfortunately the manses are in dire need of maintenance.

Comment

• I was going to ask the devs, but thought I'd ask you guys first in case there's stuff I missed.

How do various effects work against nemissaries?

I've got:

Spirit-Repelling Diagram; this forces spirits to materialise or leave. I assume that a Nemissary has to either walk its corpse-body out of the mandala, or pop out and materialise (do they then need to activate the Materialise charm?).

Spirit-Caging Mandala; this stops the spirit moving, and also lets people see dematerialised spirits and attack them. It doesn't actually make them materialise though, so I assume that the nemissary is still going to actually be inside their corpse-body for this, they just can't walk their corpse-body out of the trap (and the ghost themselves is going to take damage from their corpse-body being attacked, as all attacks against the corpse-body will affect the immaterial spirit as well, as that's how Nemissary's Ride works?).

Burning Exorcism Technique; this doesn't force materialisation, it just exorcises spirits out of victims. Does it work if the "victim" of possession is a corpse, popping the spirit out of the corpse and absorbing it/banning it from the corpse? I don't think I actually need to (I'm trying to trap a Nephwrack so I can perma-kill it, not let it flee), just wondering.

Zenith anima corpse-burning: Does it matter if the corpse is possessed?

Zenith anima materialisation: If I use this on a nemissary, does it have to pop out of its corpse-body to materialise? I assume yes.

I think I know how these work, I just want to check with others.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz
          Spirit-Repelling Diagram; this forces spirits to materialise or leave. I assume that a Nemissary has to either walk its corpse-body out of the mandala, or pop out and materialise (do they then need to activate the Materialise charm?).
          It needs the Materialize Charm, but I'd allow it to stay inside the corpse if it has it. It still becomes vulnerable, after all.

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz
          Spirit-Caging Mandala; this stops the spirit moving, and also lets people see dematerialised spirits and attack them. It doesn't actually make them materialise though, so I assume that the nemissary is still going to actually be inside their corpse-body for this, they just can't walk their corpse-body out of the trap (and the ghost themselves is going to take damage from their corpse-body being attacked, as all attacks against the corpse-body will affect the immaterial spirit as well, as that's how Nemissary's Ride works?).
          Sounds about right.

Burning Exorcism Technique; this doesn't force materialisation, it just exorcises spirits out of victims. Does it work if the "victim" of possession is a corpse, popping the spirit out of the corpse and absorbing it/banning it from the corpse? I don't think I actually need to (I'm trying to trap a Nephwrack so I can perma-kill it, not let it flee), just wondering.
          I'd allow it.

Zenith anima corpse-burning: Does it matter if the corpse is possessed?
          I say no, just as it shouldn't work on an active zombie.

Zenith anima materialisation: If I use this on a nemissary, does it have to pop out of its corpse-body to materialise? I assume yes.
          As above, I'd allow it to stay inside the corpse, with its possession becoming hideously obvious (the corpse swelling, black ooze gushing out of its eyes and mouth, or some other effect appropriate to the nemissary's aesthetics). It's really an ST call, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

​That is a terribly unhelpful answer to a question like this. Are we going to withhold answering somebody's question, even if we know what they actually mean, until they ask it in precisely the correct (or acceptable) way? Come on.

​For Solar Exalted, I don't think it does; there are Essence 2 Charms that are more narrow in form and application than Essence 1 Charms preceding them.

​John Morke explained the basic form of Solar Charms as he was writing them with... an analogy whose precise terminology I cannot remember, and I can't think of keywords to find the thread or Nishkriya recording to look for it... the point is, it would go up and down in power as the Essence curve progressed. Essence 1 Charms would be fairly broad and powerful, to reward diversifying a Solar's skill set and help them feel appropriately Solar without requiring too much investment; Essence 2 Charms would be individually more specific and focused, although could often be chained together into impressive combos. And so on up until Essence 5.

It's not exact, or precisely adhered to in all instances, but it at least gives the guideline.

​So Essence 3 could be seen as the place where a Solar starts doing bigger feats with broader individual powers again, denoting the next step of achievements that they're capable of. I'd need to look back over the Charms to see if I can glean concrete examples, but Wyld-Shaping Technique might be an easily recalled example.

​It's not necessarily a matter of "do Essence 1 thing on a larger scale", mind.
            Are you sure? Cause i'm looking at the craft charms now, and it seems to be in reverse.

I mean, fine, durability enhancing technique. It makes the stuff harder to break. A charm to fix things, a charm to make it resistant to the wyld, ok....

then at essence 3, boom! Craftsman needs no tools, able to have a workshop anywhere, anywhen, and your crafting speed is sped up by 3 times.

I mean, isn't speeding up crafting by 3 times and removing workshop penalties broader than a specific charm to help in repairs and another to make an item more durable?

Comment

• Originally posted by The MG View Post
              I say no, just as it shouldn't work on an active zombie.
              I forgot about that, good point.

Comment

• Could someone better at maps than me give me an idea of the area of the Dreaming Sea? (Or at least the portion on the map, I know it probably extends quite a ways East.)

Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Abakus View Post
                  Could someone better at maps than me give me an idea of the area of the Dreaming Sea? (Or at least the portion on the map, I know it probably extends quite a ways East.)

Thanks!
                  ​Approximately 5,000,000 square miles (8,000,000 square kilometres) by my count.

That's about four times larger than the Mediterranean.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                  Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

​Approximately 5,000,000 square miles (8,000,000 square kilometres) by my count.

That's about four times larger than the Mediterranean.
                    Square miles to square kilometers is not a simple conversion using the one dimension rate, area has two dimensions and the conversion has to account for that.

The rate from sq. miles to sq. kms is approximately 2.59.

So 5 million square miles is around 13 million square kilometers.

Comment

• {checks calculator}

​I could have sworn that I converted the five hundred mile lines on the grid map into eight hundred kilometres, squared that, and multiplied it by twenty. I must have just gotten something mixed up while juggling windows around.

​Yes, 800 squared times twenty is 12.8 million.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• But still, the important point is it's about four times the size of the med.
                        Though as the east goes into the Wyld, you probably can't measure it exactly.

Comment

• Perfect, you even saved me the trouble of having to google a comparable (real) body of water. Thanks guys!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                            But still, the important point is it's about four times the size of the med.
                            Though as the east goes into the Wyld, you probably can't measure it exactly.

Its actually a bit over 5 times the size of the Med.

Sorry for the math bickering, lol.

Comment

• Sure, but again, this is all pretty imprecise, as the edge is pretty vague. When you get past Ysyr distances are probably pretty vague.

Comment

• What's important is that I think we can assume that the water that is apparent on the map is not Wyld with reasonable consistency, and that surface area doesn't really change very much.

​Hell, to say "this thing covers millions of square units", i.e. there are large sections that are many thousands of kilometres away from the edge of the world, can helpfully convey that there's a lot of room to have sailing adventures without having to worry about suddenly drifting off course into the true Wyld.

Comment

Working...
                                X