Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
    So we all know that Sorcery sucks against exalted. Any exalted with combat experience can defend against it easily.
    Do we know that?

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
    But what about people like ordinary mortals with bows, arrows, and guns? How about them?
    It's been my experience that sorcery in Exalted is something of a game-changer, albeit not an insurmountable one. Mortals have a tough time against those who wield it, but then again, mortals have a tough time period.

Comment

• Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
      So we all know that Sorcery sucks against exalted. Any exalted with combat experience can defend against it easily.
      That's not really my experience. I've seen Dragonblood ripped to bits by a Solar sorcerer using Death of Obsidian Butterflies. And once the PCs ambushed the Wyld Hunt (who were hiding, ready to ambush the PCs) with Magma Kraken. It was not pretty.

And then there's Death Ray. It's exactly as brutal as you'd expect from a Solar spell. A Night Caste and a Lunar died to it in one fight. The Night Caste managed to use Seven Shadow Evasion on the first round, while the Lunar just died straight away (his giant soak was not helpful), but the Night Caste died on the following turn.

But what about people like ordinary mortals with bows, arrows, and guns? How about them?
      They die. Splat.

To give a longer answer: sorcery essentially just works as a high-damage attack that takes time to build up. It's about as accurate as any other attack.

Frankly, it's a waste against a single mortal. It's too slow. Just use a bow.

But sorcery is very useful against battle groups. It's ranged, it has very high damage, and often you can do high decisive with it so you ignore their soak. Death of Obsidian Butterflies I've seen f*ck up a battle group or two, and Death Ray I think broke an army of several thousand tiger warriors in a round or two.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

• I've stumbled upon the word "shard", what does it mean in the world of Exalted?

Thanks

French Exalt & ST & ToolMaker [Website]
        Advanced Character Generator Thread, Excel Version & LibreOffice Version
        Familiar Generator Thread & Libreoffice Version

Comment

• It can mean one of two things. It sometimes refers to a celestial exaltation ie "a solar shard" "a lunar shard" etc.

It can also refer to a setting hack, after the 2e book "Shards of the Exalted Dream" which dealt with numerous such AUs like the modern shard, which is set on a Creation that resembles the modern world or Gunstar Autochonia, where the exalted lost the primordial war and everyone lives on autochthonia.

Comment

• I have a question about unexpected attacks. In the combat chapter the book doesn't say unexpected attacks cannot be parried. But it the melee charm heavenly Guardian defense, it calls unexpected attacks out as being unblockable. Can you Parry unexpected attacks?

Comment

• Originally posted by Refhi View Post
              I've stumbled upon the word "shard", what does it mean in the world of Exalted?
              Shard was an old fanword that was used to described the actual, physical Exaltation itself (there were also others like Supermote). So you would have, for example, 300 Solar Shards. This was there to separate the Celestial Exaltations from the Terrestrial (and Alchemical) Exaltations where there isn't a physical Exaltation that you could potentially touch.

The authors however really didn't like the term Shard (as shard implies that something is a small piece of something greater, which the Exaltations are not). Later we got the book Shards of the Exalted Dream, and "Shard" then became the official world for Exalted settings that don't take place in Creation (the Modern Shard, or the Gunstar Autochthon Shard, and such).

So when looking at the word Shard, it's important to figure out the context that it's being used in, whether the individual is discussing Exaltations or settings.

Comment

• Originally posted by deadnite3 View Post
                I have a question about unexpected attacks. In the combat chapter the book doesn't say unexpected attacks cannot be parried. But it the melee charm heavenly Guardian defense, it calls unexpected attacks out as being unblockable. Can you Parry unexpected attacks?
                Unexpected Attacks are either Ambush or Surprise Attacks. When the target is completely unaware of the attack (such as when one is made in the first round of combat from a higher initiative, or by some charm effects), then it is an Ambush, which ignores the target's defences, thereby making the attacker roll against defence difficulty 0. Thus it is implicitly an unblockable and undodgeable attack, and should have been explicitly called out as such.

Otherwise an Unexpected Attack is a Surprise Attack, which merely penalises the defence.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
                  Later we got the book Shards of the Exalted Dream, and "Shard" then became the official world for Exalted settings that don't take place in Creation (the Modern Shard, or the Gunstar Autochthon Shard, and such).
                  ​Incidentally, I wonder if the term had such a use in White Wolf parlance prior to the release of the book World of Darkness: Mirrors.

Because as far as I know, that was the origin of the use to describe alternative settings; it derived from a literary metaphor of holding up a mirror to the system and setting of the World of Darkness and then breaking it to get "shards" that would reflect specific parts, or cast them in different lights.

​I assume that's why the cover to Shards of the Exalted Dream features a visual representation of that metaphor in the form of a number of pieces of broken glass, each containing a different reflection of the Scarlet Empress.

​It's an interesting example of how etymological drift can give a word a meaning where the association of its literal definition has been forgotten. Like, say, the word quintessence having a meaning in a context entirely divorced from familiarity with Aristotelian elements. I bet most people who play Exalted but not the other game lines never really wondered why it used the term "shard" to describe an alternative setting.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                  Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• I saw shard used in reference to an Exaltation in a sidebar in Bastions of the North so I don't know if it was totally a fanon term.

Of course, maybe the fandom started using it before Bastions came out? I heard the story of how Vodak got named too, and I wouldn't put it past Bastions to have imported that.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

• How was Vodak named? A misspelling of vodka?

But sexually.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ellis View Post
                        How was Vodak named? A misspelling of vodka?
                        According to a friend, someone typo'd Vodka on one of the old WW forums as Vodak, and people on the forums ran with the joke, describing how that beast Vodak must be a horrible monster, and then the writer of the Gethamane section decided to name the fella beneath the city in honor of that inside joke.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greyman View Post
                          Unexpected Attacks are either Ambush or Surprise Attacks. When the target is completely unaware of the attack (such as when one is made in the first round of combat from a higher initiative, or by some charm effects), then it is an Ambush, which ignores the target's defences, thereby making the attacker roll against defence difficulty 0. Thus it is implicitly an unblockable and undodgeable attack, and should have been explicitly called out as such.

Otherwise an Unexpected Attack is a Surprise Attack, which merely penalises the defence.
                          So that means you can parry surprise attacks but not ambush. Is it typo in Heavenly Guardian Defense? Should the charm say ambush rather than all unexpected attacks?

Comment

• It's my understanding that Heavenly Guardian Defence carries a weakness against unexpected attacks irrespective of whether or not a parry can be applied against them.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Originally posted by deadnite3 View Post

So that means you can parry surprise attacks but not ambush. Is it typo in Heavenly Guardian Defense? Should the charm say ambush rather than all unexpected attacks?
                              Yeah, probably.

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                              It's my understanding that Heavenly Guardian Defence carries a weakness against unexpected attacks irrespective of whether or not a parry can be applied against them.
                              Not in 3e, where it's one of the most reliable ways to (attempt to) parry an ambush—if you have a weapon in hand. Perhaps you're thinking of Dipping Swallow Defense, which cannot negate the penalty from a Surprise Attack?

Comment

• {clench fist}

​i misunderstood the nature of the question

Comment

Working...
                                X