No announcement yet.

Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 sessions... man, Exalted games must last for years, assuming they don't fall apart.

Did the Seal of Eight Divinities only dump Autochthonians in the South, or could some of the other nations have popped out elsewhere?

The Teller of Tales, and the Weaver of Dreams

Behold! My 2e characters.

Comment

• If you decide to have the seal breached in the game, Autochthonians can show up wherever you like.

You could have rival nations popping up on either side of the map, if you want.

Comment

• Tried asking in the Devs' thread, but: What does Malfeas look like from the outside, such as you might see approaching through Cecyelyne?

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Darkstep View Post
          Tried asking in the Devs' thread, but: What does Malfeas look like from the outside, such as you might see approaching through Cecyelyne?
          It’s a bit ambiguous and might have a whole Lovecraftian “the geometry doesn’t actually make sense and can’t be fully understood or communicated” element going on. Generally, each layer of Malfeas, in addition to being concentric spheres, is also bordered around its edges by Cecelyne like a normal city lain out flat.

As I presented it at my own table. It appears on approach like an unfathomably huge, but spatially normal, city with a green sun hanging overhead. But as if you circle its massive perimeter the perspective shifts and the skyline changes to that of a different layer. The different gates around the perimeter enter different layers of the hypersphere.
          Last edited by glamourweaver; 12-23-2017, 04:58 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• Originally posted by Voyd211 View Post
            15 sessions... man, Exalted games must last for years, assuming they don't fall apart.

Did the Seal of Eight Divinities only dump Autochthonians in the South, or could some of the other nations have popped out elsewhere?
            In canon 2E they haven’t shown up anywhere yet. The Seal has not yet been breached. If and when it is breached, that breach can emerge literally anywhere in Creation that best serves the story. This is discussed in detail in the Storytelling chapter of Manual of Exalted Power: the Alchemicals.

Comment

• This is really more of a headcanon, but I envisage the entrance to malfeas looking like a large gateway into a walled city. The walls are too high to see over, and they stretch in a large, rough circle.

Once you go through, however, there's no wall. You can climb on top of the gate and look back the way you came, and there's just more city.

Comment

15 sessions... man, Exalted games must last for years, assuming they don't fall apart.

Holden had some choice words about this, collected on Chancel Aleph:

I once* saw a person on the old forums mention that they wanted to use Alchemicals in their game, but couldn't because a) The Locust Crusade was just too disruptive to everything else going on, and
                b) Their campaign was in the North so the Autochthonians were too far away.
                *This is not actually true. I saw it several times.
                This is why I set about to completely erase the Locust Crusade from 2e—not as one of several premade stories, not as the-default-unless-you-change-it, but to just completely get rid of it.
                I think this was the only way to save Autochthonia as a fully incorporated element of Exalted, even if it meant losing the best adventure module we ever had.
                Daedalus wrote:
                I actually totally understand why you did this. Though I find the logic behind it silly, but apparently I am in the minority in that thinking.
                No disrespect, but I'm not sure you do. It had nothing to do with the Locust War being a miserable pile of shit—Crusaders of the Machine God, after all, was fabulous. If it were just a matter of the Locust War being rubbish, I'd have rolled the portrayal back toward Time of Tumult and called it good.
                No, the issue was that as long as there was this one story here, it gave most people tunnel vision. Every discussion of Alchemicals for a period of around five years revolved around their military prowess vis-a-vis Gem, the Lap, Paragon and An-Teng.
                "One of the other seven nations appears somewhere other than that increasingly ludicrous swamp and interacts with the locals in some manner other than open warfare" wasn't even on the radar. I had to kill the Locust Crusade—I had to kill any default scenario—to wrench people back around to a DIY mentality. And for those whose first exposure to Alchemicals was through Second Edition, I wanted them to meet the Autochthonians the same way they did any other setting element—as a bunch of tools to use to tell their own stories.
                Hell, look at Keychain of Creation. Lovely, lovely Keychain of Creation—what's the punchline when they run into Autochthonians having built an outpost into a mountain up in the North? "Be careful—we're in house rules country."
                It's funny, but it also convinced me I was right—someone as smart as Jukashi should not be thinking of "Autochthonians in the North" as house rules.

Glorious Solar Kitten

Comment

• I put Sovans in Varang, and they migrated to the Summer Mountains. The others were scattered around the world; I didn't work out where, because it didn't affect the game, but not in the main part of the South. So not in Gem. I assumed Karnak* and Nurad would go in the North, because they're kind of genre-appropriate for the North. My friend put Nurad in the North in his game.

*Not sure I've remembered that one correctly.

They can go wherever. As the others said, putting them in the South was just a module, not canon.
                  It's not even canon that Yugash will get to Creation first; they're just the ones putting the most money into researching how to get there. Someone else might be luckier, or have a more brilliant researcher.

In fact, I deliberately didn't use Yugash because I think they're pretty dull compared to 6 of the other 8 Nations.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Darkstep View Post
                    What does Malfeas look like from the outside, such as you might see approaching through Cecyelyne?
                    Tall buildings.

Some of which are floating.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Would any of the Deathlords send their Abyssals specifically to undermine the Mask of Winters' conquest?

Comment

Would any of the Deathlords send their Abyssals specifically to undermine the Mask of Winters' conquest?
                        Sure. Walker in Darkness has the closest proximity so is most likely. But one could easily have the Princess want to reclaim territory in the Riverlands for herself again by usurping him; and First and Forsaken Lion has megalomaniacal ambitions that would conflict with Mask of Winter’s.

Comment

• Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

Sure. Walker in Darkness has the closest proximity so is most likely. But one could easily have the Princess want to reclaim territory in the Riverlands for herself again by usurping him; and First and Forsaken Lion has megalomaniacal ambitions that would conflict with Mask of Winter’s.
                          Well, as it happens, one of my Abyssal characters is a psychotic Dusk working for the Lion (The Butcher can leap tall buildings in a single bound, and split them in half on the way back down), that he'd like to keep very, VERY far away. Thorns is far enough, right?

The Dusk in question sees the Lion as a father figure, so she's cheerfully oblivious to his dislike of her.

Speaking of the Butcher, what would be a fair fight for a starting EX2 Abyssal? I tried testing her against a pack of bandits, but realized that they couldn't beat her parry DV.

Comment

Would any of the Deathlords send their Abyssals specifically to undermine the Mask of Winters' conquest?
                            This is headcanon rather than strictly published setting. I cast Mask of Winters as playing a long game. He wants to unite a necropolis - and extended necro-friendly living - empire in the Threshold, even though it means that the returning Celestials will achieve a glorious empire.

He has a bit of insight into the Great Curse, and believes that by placing the seed of death inside the first days of a newly arisen empire, he can nudge it into falling *spectacularly* and all the way into the Abyss in a single stroke. It may take ten thousand years, but ghosts and Neverborn are timeless.

Needless to say, other Deathlords and Abyssals would be unlikely to understand this plan. Or, understanding it, unlikely to agree.

Comment

• Has anyone tried in-character to romance a demon of the Third Circle?

Not just seduction for bragging rights, but actually courting Ligier or Erembour.

Comment

• I had a PC in one of my games who had an ongoing romance with an original 2nd Circle of Szoreny, but no, the only 3rd Circle to appear and get talked to was very firmly a place, not a romanceable person.

Iä! Iä! Moe fthagn!

Comment

Working...
                                X