No announcement yet.

Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yyyes, Merged was the one that meant all of the Charms were basically the same Charm, so in the case of the Assumption Charms you didn't need to spend to buy the same powers for every single variety of Assumption.

​There were other Keywords in the Dawn Solution that did something a bit similar to Charms with applicability across Abilities, but a bit more limited. I can't remember beyond that.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• What options are there for a character that wants to play a Tank, but use Brawl instead of Melee? All of the Defend Other Charms or Parry Charms are in the Melee tree and don't have the Bridge keywords so it feels like your defensive options when fighting unarmed are extremely limited.

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
        Yyyes, Merged was the one that meant all of the Charms were basically the same Charm, so in the case of the Assumption Charms you didn't need to spend to buy the same powers for every single variety of Assumption.

​There were other Keywords in the Dawn Solution that did something a bit similar to Charms with applicability across Abilities, but a bit more limited. I can't remember beyond that.

Thanks. When they rewrote the base charm, Sovereign Element Shape, they mucked up the phrasing that made you need to have the associated assumption to use it, and then pointed back to it for all of the others, contributing to my confusion.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Einlanzer View Post
          What options are there for a character that wants to play a Tank, but use Brawl instead of Melee? All of the Defend Other Charms or Parry Charms are in the Melee tree and don't have the Bridge keywords so it feels like your defensive options when fighting unarmed are extremely limited.
          Unarmed would be better with crane. Or resistance. Brawls defense charms are mainly onslaught negators iirc

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

What options are there for a character that wants to play a Tank, but use Brawl instead of Melee? All of the Defend Other Charms or Parry Charms are in the Melee tree and don't have the Bridge keywords so it feels like your defensive options when fighting unarmed are extremely limited.

If you invest in Dodge and don't mind playing the Flash, then the Golden Hound boots from Arms of the Chosen has an Evocation that allow you to use Dodge to defend other.

Or you can homebrew a lion-theme gauntlets that focus on defend (other).

The no.1 fan of Demetheus. I also draw Exalted things and is looking for commission works ~

Comment

If you don't want to go the MA route, RAW you can think outside the box to defend others. You can grapple opponents so they are forced to deal with you, and if you are at Short you can Thunderclap Rush Attack to attack first and put them in a worse position to attack, or Heaven Thunder Hammer them away from your friends. If they are already attacking you, then you can go the Clash Tree route.

Into custom charm territory, I could see something in the Clash tree allowing you to Clash attacks that aren't targeted at you, but someone near you. Should probably count as your combat action for that round though to keep it balanced.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aretii View Post
                Lore is one ability, but it's kind of weird.

When you first take dots in Lore, you note your background. This represents the sorts of things you might know, and restricts what you can introduce facts about. For example, someone with Lore 2 and a Dynastic education background could introduce facts about Mnemon politics, whereas my Threshold born Twilight with Int 5 Lore 5 with a background as a tribal shaman couldn't, despite his much larger dice pool.

Lore specialties, in addition to providing the +1 die as per normal for a specialty, can also expand the sorts of things you know about. So if my Twilight helped liberate a satrapy and then spent a while studying the captured libraries and correspondence of the Dynastic leadership (read, "training a specialty in modern Realm politics"), now I could use that specialty as a jumping-off-point for introducing Realm-relevant facts.
                Thank you!

To follow up....

Is there a specific mechanic for having a background? Is that something you need dots in, such as Resources, Command, etc? Or an Intimacy? Or is it a non-mechanical descriptor?

Is there a rationale for Lore being scoped by non- or semi-mechanical background; while Craft is scoped by separate variant Craft Abilities?

Sorry for being a nitpick - this will become something I need to explain to my players!

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Comment

• I think we had a question related to Clashes earlier, but...

The Ex3 Core book suggests that you can force a Clash (p. 196 - 197) by delaying your action. The description of Clash (p. 202) says Clashes happen when combatants attack each other on the same tick. Therefore, the intended Clash-ee could delay or take a full Defense action (or do something else) to avoid the intended Clash?

So, if two combatants have turns on the same tick, and one of them doesn't want to Clash, does the Clash happen?

If it does happen, does that take up the Clash-ee's turn as well, or only the Clash-er's turn?

For example, if we have Hero1 and Hero2 , fighting Villain1 - V1 wishes to attack H1 , but H2 will go on the same tick as V1. H2 wishes to force a Clash, so V1 can't attack his ally H1. Does the Clash happen, and can V1 proceed with his attack on H1?

(This may be a weird and subjective case - and I haven't encountered it at my table yet, but I thought it was a good idea to air the question before it comes up!)

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Darkstep View Post
                    I think we had a question related to Clashes earlier, but...

The Ex3 Core book suggests that you can force a Clash (p. 196 - 197) by delaying your action. The description of Clash (p. 202) says Clashes happen when combatants attack each other on the same tick. Therefore, the intended Clash-ee could delay or take a full Defense action (or do something else) to avoid the intended Clash?

So, if two combatants have turns on the same tick, and one of them doesn't want to Clash, does the Clash happen?

If it does happen, does that take up the Clash-ee's turn as well, or only the Clash-er's turn?

For example, if we have Hero1 and Hero2 , fighting Villain1 - V1 wishes to attack H1 , but H2 will go on the same tick as V1. H2 wishes to force a Clash, so V1 can't attack his ally H1. Does the Clash happen, and can V1 proceed with his attack on H1?

(This may be a weird and subjective case - and I haven't encountered it at my table yet, but I thought it was a good idea to air the question before it comes up!)
                    When I asked this questions a few pages ago, people seemed to think that you couldn't actually force a Clash. The text in the book implies you only have 2 combatants, so of course they're attacking each other. But if V1 wants to attack someone else, I guess they can.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
                    I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

Thank you!

To follow up....

Is there a specific mechanic for having a background? Is that something you need dots in, such as Resources, Command, etc? Or an Intimacy? Or is it a non-mechanical descriptor?
                      Non-mechanical descriptor is probably the best term for it. p153 says " Players must note the subject of their character’s education when selecting Lore, as this impacts the scope of what the Ability may cover for them... Lore areas of expertise can be expanded with specialties and roleplaying."

Glorious Solar Kitten

Comment

• Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
                        When I asked this questions a few pages ago, people seemed to think that you couldn't actually force a Clash. The text in the book implies you only have 2 combatants, so of course they're attacking each other. But if V1 wants to attack someone else, I guess they can.
                        That doesn't seem correct to me, as I looked at it as performing a clash against their attack regardless of who it is against as this keeps the system smooth and allows more options for defending your allies. However, this does become interesting when you try to determine if the initial attacker (rather than the one who wants to clash) gets the benefits of the clashing rules against his primary target.

Comment

• Originally posted by Citadel97501 View Post
                          That doesn't seem correct to me, as I looked at it as performing a clash against their attack regardless of who it is against as this keeps the system smooth and allows more options for defending your allies.
                          Originally posted by Page 202
                          Clash Attacks are a special roll used when two characters attack one another on the same tick.
                          RAW, Unsung is right.

Glorious Solar Kitten

Comment

• Originally posted by Aretii View Post
                            RAW, Unsung is right.
                            As a player who wants to beat some nasty defenses on foes, I really don't want to be right...

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
                            I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

Is there a rationale for Lore being scoped by non- or semi-mechanical background; while Craft is scoped by separate variant Craft Abilities?
                              ​I'm not sure if it was ever laid out precisely, but between my recollections and my own speculation I would say that it's a matter of them both needing to be constrained, but coming from the differences in how and why.

​The capacity of Lore to define the setting and the story, as well as the subject of how characters acquire information that might be assumed to be secret, necessitates a limit, but the actual application of Lore is still fairly low key and fluid while also benefiting from diverse applications, so it's made into a more abstract thing based on character background.

​In contrast, Craft is focused on the actual manipulation and creation of concrete things, so it benefits from being limited in how much it can affect as well as having that limitation laid down specifically.

... Has this question come up before? It feels very familiar, and contentious...

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                              Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                              https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Is a sort of Dog Star "Proclaim doom upon a region/bloodline" appropriate strength for a Deathlord to possess as a charm?

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

Working...
                                X