No announcement yet.

Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God-Blooded probably usually are best represented with unique Merits which fit their heritage, which may or may not be Charm-like. The idea at one point that might not stay from the previous devs is that God-Blooded likely have their won unique Charms if they can develop them at all, rather than cribbing them off of their parents. This is pretty important since there's probalby not ever going to be a "universal" list of Charms for spirits like in previous editions.

And stuff.
    My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

• I hope this answer isn't "too long" for a "quick answer" but it requires some thought.
      It's way too easy to say "X is a problem" and takes space to explain "actually, X isn't".

Originally posted by GrayWalker View Post
      Didn't know that about the slur. Learn something new everyday I guess. I wonder why it wasn't a problem before though.
      It is very common to hear English-speakers scream "offensive!" about words that don't work that way in other cultures (including colonies).

What vs How:
      English-speakers worry about what you say. Spanish, Hebrew, Japanese & other cultures care about how you say something. Try Japanese "Gaijin", Yiddish "shiksa", Brazilian "pardo" or Spanish "gringo" - whether disparaging or not is based on tone and context, not the word itself.

Historical Context Matters:
      The word Half-Caste isn't universally offensive.

Clever Ambiguity:
      Lastly, the offensive definition may have been appropriate.

It's perfectly reasonable for Exalts & Spirits to see a "Star-Blessed" as only half-pure (favoring the divine side) - but it's also reasonable for mortals to see a "Moon-Born" (with Beastmen likely being the most common & obvious examples) as half-pure (favoring the human side).

Either way, the author never maligned the "Half-Castes". You didn't know it was a slur. It's impossible to read "Scroll of Heroes" and think "this author reviles this group" (if anything, he has given the word a somewhat elevated status above the rest of humanity).

It was a clever choice of an ambiguous word (the sort of ambiguity "we" non-English types usually criticize Anglophiles or lacking).

All in all, I'm not going to miss the word - but it's hardly a universal slur.
      Last edited by Salagimsim; 03-08-2018, 11:17 AM.

Through indiscriminate suffering men know fear and fear is the most divine emotion.
      It is the stones for altars and the beginning of wisdom.
      Half gods are worshipped in wine and flowers. Real gods require blood.
      - Their Eyes Were Watching God

Comment

• I can't help but feel that this is an insufficiently nuanced argument being made here, and it seems overblown lacking context for the actual decision to stop using that term.

Given this is a thread about Exalted Questions & Answers, it might be more helpful to limit the answers to something directly relevant to the topic? The last third of your post seems like the only thing meaningfully answering a question about Exalted, and the rest of it seems more apt to derail the questions & answers than it is to enhance it.

If you really strongly feel like discussing the idea of people finding words offensive and the like, the Off-Topic section of these forums seems like a better place for it!
        Last edited by VioletDreamer; 03-08-2018, 10:17 AM.

Comment

• Are there any good charms for suppressing mutations?
          Something to allow someone with obvious non human features to disguise themselves as human?
          I know of the discrete merit but I was thinking transformation into a human form.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayWalker View Post
            Are there any good charms for suppressing mutations?
            Something to allow someone with obvious non human features to disguise themselves as human?
            I know of the discrete merit but I was thinking transformation into a human form.
            Flawlessly Impenetrable Disguise. Failing that, write an Occult Charm to do it? That seems within that Ability's wheelhouse. Maybe Lore could do something like it too.

Comment

• VioletDreamer
              re: Insufficient Nuance / Derail:
              Good point. Too little sleep. Too much to write. Too much whittling down. Apologies.
              I've excised most of the real-world comparisons. Publicly, I say "thank you ".

re: Last Third of Post:
              The Half-Caste topic came up in a recent thread (I'm plotting a Heroic Mortal game for friends).
              Someone similarly showed up - to contribute nothing - except to claim offense by the word.

Thus the "last third" doesn't work solo, since it might suggest I agree with them (which I politely don't). Exalted has some great writers, and it felt malign (?) to see someone spam "that's a slur", when Scroll of Heroes never disparaged them. Terrestrials (incest, eugenics), Abyssals (genocide, suicide), Lunars (beastiality) - the game is full of tricky topics that only work if we don't police the vocabulary-choices writers grapple with.

New Question - Are there non-forum websites people should follow for 3rd Edition?

Through indiscriminate suffering men know fear and fear is the most divine emotion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Salagimsim View Post
                Someone similarly showed up - to contribute nothing - except to claim offense by the word.
                I did not "claim offense," I simply politely asked you not to use the word (after all, even ignoring any discussion about whether or not it is a slur, the gameline itself has discontinued its use); and in this thread in particular, I specifically answered the user's question first.

I might not post much anymore these days, but please don't accuse me of not contributing.

As for questions, I have an unorthodox one for the thread… if someone were to dredge up a continent's worth of land from the bottom of the sea, how long would it take for the salt water to clear off of it or otherwise be neutralized? Like, let's say a mass a third the size of the Blessed Isle. How long before people could settle there and grow shit?
                Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 03-08-2018, 01:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                  if someone were to dredge up a continent's worth of land from the bottom of the sea, how long would it take for the salt water to clear off of it or otherwise be neutralized? Like, let's say a mass a third the size of the Blessed Isle.
                  ​Hmm... that's really kind of a complicated question, since the scope of the endeavour creates a lot of possible sources of complication that would defy attempts to reduce it to a simple metric.

​For example, what's the geography of the land like? Does it have any depressions or enclosed spaces that could retain large bodies of salt water even after being raised above sea level? How effectively does it drain water in a general sense? What's the topography like, and does it have channels for water to flow? I'm sure that somebody with actual training in geography or geology would have more intricate questions.

​And everything to do with soil type and quality to define what the process of any kind of reclamation would need (even when the salt is gone, is this the kind of soil you can grow terrestrial plants on).

​I would say that making it habitable for terrestrial life on a full time basis would definitely be the work of decades, if not centuries, even under the most ideal conditions, and either require the collective efforts of large numbers of people or a lot of powerful sorcerous infrastructure.

​Unless the nature of the power that raised it could be assumed to be one that renders it habitable as a matter of course. Like, if Gaia was the one doing so, I would assume that the result is a habitable and even verdant continent irrespective of any physical or chemical questions; the question of how long salt water and its deposits takes to be removed is overridden by the will of the Mother of Earth.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                  Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• If you're doing a working to raise a continent, salt clearance might be a great clause to have in the plan!

That, and the miracles of the Exalted seem to me to work more to intent than to expose complications and delays. For better or worse, sometimes.

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Darkstep View Post
                      If you're doing a working to raise a continent
                      No working could do that; the biggest [b]overt[/i] thing that Solar Circle Sorcery can affect is the size of a city.

​I mean, technically you might want to include the most powerful working in the creation of an N/A artifact to do so, but that's still only one component.

​Come to think of it, I almost wonder if Gaia is the only being available that could wield such power. The Incarnae are strong, but I'm not sure if even they are "size of a continent" strong, and they don't necessarily have purviews related to land like that...

​Maybe if one recruited an army of the most powerful earth and/or water elementals.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                      Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post

As for questions, I have an unorthodox one for the thread… if someone were to dredge up a continent's worth of land from the bottom of the sea, how long would it take for the salt water to clear off of it or otherwise be neutralized? Like, let's say a mass a third the size of the Blessed Isle. How long before people could settle there and grow shit?
                        Well there are halophytes that can pretty quickly colonize a region. Additionally lichen and many other organisms produce large numbers of air borne spores. Further hurricanes can deliver all sorts of seeds, spores, and even animals to a region. So a major factor is what land masses are closest.

A major problem in that salt, specifically sodium, interferes with soil colloid creation. Further soil colloids hold onto Na pretty hard so you would almost be better off importing soil to some areas because it will take decades if not centuries for rain to wash the salt out, if it doesn't wash it all back out to the ocean first. For the first couple of years it would be pretty bad with massive mud slides and large fetid pools of water. Higher elevation areas would be quickly stripped of its sea-soil. Which is actually good because then they can start to weather and produce more sustainable soil.

Ultimately this is impossible to say because it is a massive land mass. My guess would be that you would be better off living on rocky coast lines for the first few years living as fishers and traders. The land mass would probably be dominated by salty deserts, everglades, and rocky out crops.

An interesting detail is how it would royally screw up the rest of creation by interrupting wind and ocean belts. This could create a complete change in creation’s climate.
                        Last edited by Snakesandsuns; 03-08-2018, 01:58 PM.

Comment

• With that much salt, would it be possible to gather it into veins?
                          Egypt is redirecting water-flows to create hydroelectric power and salt-beds
                          Instead of "one-instant-eruption" from the sea, with salt drying wherever it is...
                          ...break-up the surface with crevices into which to funnel water (and salt) via rain.
                          Instant-ward against the undead, no? Defend against Pirates of the Caribbean.

Alternatively - just cover it up.
                          How feasible is it to import a layer of soil where you want growth?

Where you don't want growth, if it's stone, maybe carve a city into the rock instead of the more cliche "grow trees, cut wood, build towns". It's not an unusual tactic in Minecraft (mass-spawn a stone block in the ocean - carve into the rock your beneath-water-level palace - import (much less dirt) to just fill-in areas you want to grow trees and farms. Silly but it works.

Comment

• Gaia is likely the only one that is able to accomplish something of that magnitude, and at that level, She could very well just go, "Salt? GTFO." and Her will be done. Other than that, the only other figures that I could imagine doing this would be the Elemental Dragons, and they would likely have to work together.

If it isn't Gaia/Elemental Dragons, and therefore a 'natural' event.... good luck growing anything. The salt from the seawater will run off, but chances are it is gonna collect in the low spots, and when it evaporates, salt is gonna build up. High levels of salt are lethal to pretty much all plant life (all life, actually), and without plant life, you aren't going to have much in the way of animal life. Now, rain and weather will remove the salt..... maybe...... eventually. Surface salt will run off, but whatever is mixed into soil will remain until the rainwater either leaches it out or the soil erodes into the sea. This will likely take centuries, if not thousands of years, however.

I don't think importing soil is going to be all that feasible, not with Creation's level of logistical technology. Hell, I don't think it would be possible with modern logistical technology.

I dunno, mate. Persuade/bribe weather gods to have it rain constantly, 1000-year-storm style on your new continent, to wash away salt? It is hard to say, this is pretty much fiat-level shenanigans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                              Come to think of it, I almost wonder if Gaia is the only being available that could wield such power. The Incarnae are strong, but I'm not sure if even they are "size of a continent" strong, and they don't necessarily have purviews related to land like that...
                              Maybe Luna could do something with tides that would expose a big chunk of land without actually raising it? I don't know, how closely is the moon aligned with tides in Creation? In any event, I suspect the Unconquered Sun boiling the sea off such a plot and setting up a constantly boiling perimeter to keep it dry wouldn't result in habitable land. Though maybe something akin to Wyld Shaping Technique falls within his themes and he could extend the ocean and such a small continent off the edge of the map in the West...

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post

Maybe Luna could do something with tides that would expose a big chunk of land without actually raising it? I don't know, how closely is the moon aligned with tides in Creation? In any event, I suspect the Unconquered Sun boiling the sea off such a plot and setting up a constantly boiling perimeter to keep it dry wouldn't result in habitable land. Though maybe something akin to Wyld Shaping Technique falls within his themes and he could extend the ocean and such a small continent off the edge of the map in the West...

I'd suspect what powers once ruled the ocean could have done this, like the Voice of the Trench, and maybe volacno gods could create new land. The Incarna probably not.

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

Working...
                                X