Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

I should think that getting a yacht with crafting would be difficult because of the number of silver craft points it requires and the minimum time given for it, rather than the difficulty.

Unless it's a sufficiently large boat to constitute a superior crafting project, in which case it requires gold points, even more time, and an extended action (as well as having somewhat less magic to accelerate its progress).
    Okay, this! This is the term I was forgetting and what I needed help with. How do you determine the number of successes required for crafts? If our Twilight craftsman wants to erect a mansion for themselves how would I determine how many successes they're going to need to total up before the house is completed? This was the big thing i was struggling with, because at least Difficulty has some guidelines to follow just based on the actual difficulty numbers themselves, but they don't give examples like "a sword might require 5 successes at Difficulty 2" or "an artifact will require 10 successes at difficult 4" or something like that, so it feels completely arbitrary.

Comment

• Originally posted by Einlanzer View Post
      they don't give examples like "a sword might require 5 successes at Difficulty 2" or "an artifact will require 10 successes at difficult 4" or something like that, so it feels completely arbitrary.
      ​Yes they do; check the superior craft rules again, each level of Artifact is given a specific goal number. The sidebar describing large-scale projects says to use the rules for making Artifact 2, with some exceptions (such as no terminus on the roll). Making a sword is only a major crafting project, so it only requires success on a single roll (which really shouldn't ever be difficulty 5; I can see difficulty 3 when it's for trying to make a good sword out of patently inferior material ala Japanese swordsmithing, but otherwise probably only difficulty 1, with both values increased under appropriate duress).

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
      Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• For the Burning Name merit and any reskins thereof, it specified that the accuracy dicepool of the attack is INT+Occult. However, it doesn't specify what Attribute should be used in damage calculations. I can understand not wanting to make the damage Attribute INT also, but STR doesn't seem to fit very well. Any ideas? I thought Essence might not be a bad way to go, especially given Elemental Bolt Attack.

Abyssals: Whom Death Has Called, a PEACH-as-heck attempt to make an Abyssal 3E holdover.

Where I try to make Artifacts. When I finish them I'll probably post them in the Artifact Workshop thread so people can help me hammer them into shape.

Comment

• Doesn't it have the Flame tag? Which means it counts as Strength 4.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

• Oddly enough, it doesn't say that it has the Flame tag. It only says it has Lethal, Thrown (Short), and Mounted. Using the Flame tag would certainly make sense, though.

Abyssals: Whom Death Has Called, a PEACH-as-heck attempt to make an Abyssal 3E holdover.

Where I try to make Artifacts. When I finish them I'll probably post them in the Artifact Workshop thread so people can help me hammer them into shape.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beans View Post
              Oddly enough, it doesn't say that it has the Flame tag. It only says it has Lethal, Thrown (Short), and Mounted. Using the Flame tag would certainly make sense, though.
              Well, it would seem that the Flame tag interacts with Archery range and accuracy rules, so is not strictly applicable on a Thrown weapon.

​But, yes, either use Intelligence for the withering damage roll also (why not?), or use +4 in place of ability as per Crossbow and Flame tags. Whichever you find sensible.

Comment

• I'm not mistaken that it's impossible to stack Single Point Shining into Void and Fire Dragon right? Those sword types are mutually exclusive. Though either can be stacked with Steel Devil?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                  I'm not mistaken that it's impossible to stack Single Point Shining into Void and Fire Dragon right? Those sword types are mutually exclusive. Though either can be stacked with Steel Devil?
                  Yeah Single point requires the use of a slashing sword, whereas fire dragon ,when it uses swords, has paired short swords. So Single Point doesn't mix with Fire Dragon. Steel Devil does mix with Fire.

Comment

• Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
                    Yeah Single point requires the use of a slashing sword, whereas fire dragon ,when it uses swords, has paired short swords. So Single Point doesn't mix with Fire Dragon. Steel Devil does mix with Fire.
                    Single Point uses Slashing Swords/Reaper Daiklaives exclusively.

Fire Dragon uses Short Swords/Short Daiklaives + Unarmed.

Steel Devil uses any paired, dual wielded swords.

RAW, I believe that yes, Steel Devil + Single Point is legal. Though I find it weird, with all sheating action in Single Point, sheating a sword without holding the scabbard doesn't seem very functional or part of the style's aesthetics.

SPSItV + IFD = No
                    SPSItV + SD = Yes, but weird
                    SD + IFD = Awesome.

Comment

• So I've been slowly reading through the DB charms, and I came to Waves Swallow the Mountain, and I was curious, are there any other effects in the game to set someone's hardness to 0 for everyone, other than crashing them?

and bonus question-
                      Trying to find instances of the above on my own, I came back to Adamant Skin Technique, with the caveat that it sets the Solar's Hardness to 0 in the instant that it is used, which lead to the question, when you use Adamant Skin Technique to guard against a Bonfire DB's attack, do you take Flux damage?

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoroseMorgan View Post
                        So I've been slowly reading through the DB charms, and I came to Waves Swallow the Mountain, and I was curious, are there any other effects in the game to set someone's hardness to 0 for everyone, other than crashing them?

and bonus question-
                        Trying to find instances of the above on my own, I came back to Adamant Skin Technique, with the caveat that it sets the Solar's Hardness to 0 in the instant that it is used, which lead to the question, when you use Adamant Skin Technique to guard against a Bonfire DB's attack, do you take Flux damage?
                        I think not, because the Anima Flux damage occurs at the start of each turn. For the Solar to activate Adamant Skin Technique in responce to an attack, that moment has already passed, and when it comes around again, the instant also already passed and they are back to their normal Hardness.

Comment

• Originally posted by TGUEIROS View Post

I think not, because the Anima Flux damage occurs at the start of each turn. For the Solar to activate Adamant Skin Technique in responce to an attack, that moment has already passed, and when it comes around again, the instant also already passed and they are back to their normal Hardness.

I thought the flux phrasing was somewhat strange. Characters take turns, and turns happen in rounds. So doesn't flux tick on the dragon-blood's action?

"Round—A unit of time used to measure combat scenes,
                          considered long enough to take one action. A round nor
                          mally lasts about three seconds in combat situations, but
                          could potentially represent more time during fights involving
                          large battle groups. The point during a round when
                          you declare your character’s action is called your turn."

edit: adding flux text for posterity, from Core, and from WFHW

Core-
                          While the Dragon-Blood’s anima is flaring at the
                          bonfire/iconic level, she rolls one die on each turn to inflict
                          withering damage on all non-Dragon-Blooded within
                          close range.

WFHW-
                          At the bonfire level, she rolls one die of withering damage against all non-Dragon-Blooded characters within close range of her (including allies) at the start of each turn.
                          Last edited by MoroseMorgan; 05-09-2018, 06:41 PM.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beans View Post
                            For the Burning Name merit and any reskins thereof, it specified that the accuracy dicepool of the attack is INT+Occult. However, it doesn't specify what Attribute should be used in damage calculations. I can understand not wanting to make the damage Attribute INT also, but STR doesn't seem to fit very well. Any ideas? I thought Essence might not be a bad way to go, especially given Elemental Bolt Attack.
                            Took me a while to dig for this, but I used to start... like.. a million threads about Burning Name back in the day. I asked about this and I got a Vance response (albeit before he was a dev, when he was only a writer). It's just an opinion and not gospel, but it's something.

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                            If you're gonna monkey with it, I think Perception to hit and Intelligence to damage makes more intuitive sense.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
                            I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

• I read the book of three circles, and came upon the spell 'magicians pleasant path.

It says that the magician and her companions are protected from the elements and extreme weather conditions.

Then in the next paragraph, it says they aren't protected from extremes of temperature and storms.

There seems to be a contradiction. So how to resolve it?
                              Last edited by Accelerator; 05-10-2018, 08:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
                                I read the book of three circles, and came upon the spell 'magicians pleasant path.

It says that the magician and her companions are protected from the elements and extreme weather conditions.

Then in the next paragraph, it says they aren't protected from extremes of temperature and storms.

There seems to be a contradiction. So how to resolve it?
                                It means you're fine from blizzards, torrential rain, and sand storms. You won't take damage, or have to make checks from the weather brought on by those.

You are not however protected from it being so hot that water exposed to air boils in seconds, or the temperature being sub zero.

Comment

Working...
                                X