Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
    It means you're fine from blizzards, torrential rain, and sand storms. You won't take damage, or have to make checks from the weather brought on by those.

You are not however protected from it being so hot that water exposed to air boils in seconds, or the temperature being sub zero.
    So basically, if you walk in creation, you're A-ok. But try to walk on the surface of Europa, you die?

Comment

• Sub zero is actually too mild. I can live subzero just fine with light coating, it is not extreme temperature.

Has to be something more defined, and definitely colder, like for extreme cold weather warnings that are sent at -35C/-37F.

Comment

• Originally posted by TGUEIROS View Post
        Sub zero is actually too mild. I can live subzero just fine with light coating, it is not extreme temperature.

Has to be something more defined, and definitely colder, like for extreme cold weather warnings that are sent at -35C/-37F.
        Basically, you are fine unless the conditions mean you die instantly?

Comment

• Originally posted by Accelerator View Post

You don't die instantly at that...

Comment

It doesn't protect you from frost bite or dying of heat exposure, niether of which are instant.

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoroseMorgan View Post
              So I've been slowly reading through the DB charms, and I came to Waves Swallow the Mountain, and I was curious, are there any other effects in the game to set someone's hardness to 0 for everyone, other than crashing them?

and bonus question-
              Trying to find instances of the above on my own, I came back to Adamant Skin Technique, with the caveat that it sets the Solar's Hardness to 0 in the instant that it is used, which lead to the question, when you use Adamant Skin Technique to guard against a Bonfire DB's attack, do you take Flux damage?

Sorry to self-quote, but quibbling over the timing of Flux damage aside, are there other effects anyone can think of that reduce someone's hardness to 0? It just seemed like a really strong effect, and no other instances jumped to mind, and the phrasing isn't reliably ctrl-effable.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

• I think it's just in there to prevent confusion over how applying soak to a decisive interacts with it.

Because otherwise you might have people claiming that if the soak reduced the attacks raw damage below hardness then it negates it completely, but with that line it's clear that no, you get soak instead of hardness.

Comment

• Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
                  It doesn't protect you from frost bite or dying of heat exposure, niether of which are instant.
                  I would just add that it doesn't protect from frostbite or heat exposure from extreme temperatures. It does protect from tohse things if they come from milder, albeit still intense temperature ranges.

Comment

• So... protect from hailstorm, but not from freezing wind?

Comment

• I'm at work and dont't have access to the book right now, so won't comment on how it deals with weather phenomena.

On the temperature side, I say it keeps you comfortable from -35C/-37F to 54C/130F, those are considered the point where you start to use "extreme" for Earth weather.

If it goes over that, the spell can't take care of it, and you suffer the fukk effects.

None of these are instant kill, and they are survivable without magic, with proper gear and/or shelter. But if you're naked and exposed you will probably persih in a few minutes.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoroseMorgan View Post

Sorry to self-quote, but quibbling over the timing of Flux damage aside, are there other effects anyone can think of that reduce someone's hardness to 0? It just seemed like a really strong effect, and no other instances jumped to mind, and the phrasing isn't reliably ctrl-effable.
                        Honestly it's not that powerful an effect.

A search of the word hardness in the core and DB pdfs reveals that there are tons of charms that just straight ignore hardness or bypass hardness entirely. Waves Swallow the Mountain does seem to be the only effect in Solar, or DB charmsets that actually allows other people to bypass hardness. It makes a lot of sense in the DB charmset as well. They're supposed to be big on the teamwork and this charm works very well as a 'I'll hold him, you hit him" type thing.

However, it's pretty tough to actually make much use of the group attack thing. Having a duration of one tick means that it ends at the ends of the same tick it was activated. Therefore only the DB who activated the charm and anyone going on the same tick can make use of it. IE it takes a successful grapple, and it takes other characters either getting extraordinarily lucky or holding their action until the right tick to make use of an effect that they may already have in their charmset (ignoring hardness).

Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

Comment

• Originally posted by armyofwhispers View Post
                          Honestly it's not that powerful an effect.

A search of the word hardness in the core and DB pdfs reveals that there are tons of charms that just straight ignore hardness or bypass hardness entirely. Waves Swallow the Mountain does seem to be the only effect in Solar, or DB charmsets that actually allows other people to bypass hardness. It makes a lot of sense in the DB charmset as well. They're supposed to be big on the teamwork and this charm works very well as a 'I'll hold him, you hit him" type thing.

However, it's pretty tough to actually make much use of the group attack thing. Having a duration of one tick means that it ends at the ends of the same tick it was activated. Therefore only the DB who activated the charm and anyone going on the same tick can make use of it. IE it takes a successful grapple, and it takes other characters either getting extraordinarily lucky or holding their action until the right tick to make use of an effect that they may already have in their charmset (ignoring hardness).

Thanks for the sanity check.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

• Just to make sure, bypassing hardness means that no matter what, you do some damage, right?

Comment

Just to make sure, bypassing hardness means that no matter what, you do some damage, right?
                              ​It means that you get to roll some damage even if your damage pool is lower than Hardness.

​Remember that under normal circumstances, Hardness represents a minimum that your damage pool needs to be before it can even be rolled.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                              Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                              https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• It's very useful if you pair it with multi-hit attacks that split your initiative pool.

Comment

Working...
                                X