No announcement yet.

Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vance also just clarified that the the Flux's damage happens at the start of the DB's turn. SO no funny interaction with AST.

Comment

• Yeah, the Grapple rules are phrased the exact same way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elfive View Post
        It's very useful if you pair it with multi-hit attacks that split your initiative pool.
        I don;t think this is the case, actually.

It's worth noting that the DB charm that splits initiative among multiple targets during a savaging attack already ignores hardness. As far as I can tell, no DB charms allow you to do a split attack while clinching someone.

You cannot take a normal attack action against a target you have clinched so you wouldn't be able to use most charms that split initiative yourself anyway.

So again, it seems the only time this would be relevant would be if your buddy is planning on using such an attack and you hold the target in place. Though once clinched the target is already taking -2 to defense so either the onslaught penalty from multiple attacks is kinda redundant or his defense is so high as to be very difficult for a DB to hit without it. In which case, how did the one "I'll hold him" DB actually secure the clinch in the first place?

Edit: Actually, I think I may have come up with an answer to my own question: Teamwork

In this case, the grapple was established in a previous round by grinding out the defense via onslaught attacks, the grappler strikes and secures a hold and then suddenly it's all about raw str+brawl/ma which if the target was a high dex + melee character would be in a terrible position to resist. Those high melee defenses are reduced but not gone in such a scenario, so the next round the hearth synchronizes their actions, the grappler kills the target's hardness and so long as at least one person has a charm that splits out init into multiple attacks that defense is crushed utterly and he's fully open to the hearth's punishing decisive attacks.

This is a whole lot of set up and a lot of teamwork, but damn if it isn't potentially spectacular is they pull it off.
        Last edited by armyofwhispers; 05-11-2018, 05:22 PM.

Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

Comment

• Does anyone know when Perfect Shadow Stillness (a reflexive charm that lets you re-roll non-10s on a stealth roll) has to be declared?

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

• It doesn’t say so explicitly but after the initial roll seems pretty strongly to be the intention (which is also what Vance said eleven months ago, before anyone gets any ideas about asking there again).

Comment

• Well, if Vance said that, that'll do. Thanks.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

• Do we have an example of Sacheverell's souls? I can't find one but thought I'd ask the hive mind.

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

• Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
                  Do we have an example of Sacheverell's souls? I can't find one but thought I'd ask the hive mind.
                  Cannonically no. Homebrew, well I'm sure someone put one out there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
                    Do we have an example of Sacheverell's souls? I can't find one but thought I'd ask the hive mind.

http://exalted.xi.co.nz/wiki/ATaxonomyOfMadness is usually my first stop for all things demon hierarchy related. According to this there aren't any canon instances, but a few fanon attempts.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

• Can multiple combatants use Defend Other against the same attack?

Wisdom of the Ancient Sages (Homebrew sorcerous initiation based on anima) | Expanded spells & charm for Elemental summoning

Comment

• Case study: New player, Solar PC, Eclipse Caste, former Sijanese funerarist. I was having a conversation the other day on how the character had slowly evolved into a proponent of undeath, almost above life, which I saw as a potential clash with the group's Zenith, a former psychopomp-priestress that upheld the cycle of reincarnation.

Thing is, the player had actually heard of the reincarnation shtick, but thought it was mostly faith, and nowhere near to "accepted fact" as I usually take it. I took a bit of time to talk about the basic soul metaphysics. But now that I've slept on it, I'm starting to wonder:

A) How likely is it that knowledgable people actually disbelieve the reincarnation of souls thing? There's no tangible way to observe reincarnation, even in the Underworld.
                        B) Should I really encourage my player, newbie that he is, to move back in the "standart" reincarnation thing? I mean, he actually found out a cool concept in our misunderstanding!

Comment

• On Creation, I think there's enough room for a character to go "Yeah, that reincarnation thing is a load of bunk." The celestial gods and sidereals know how it works and could prove it, but they don't interact with people much and generally don't have cause to. Sids especially can't do anything without revealing themselves.

Now, in Autochthonia that's not the case. They actually track souls through several lifetimes, something that's actually a vital part of the process of creating an Alchemical. So if you ever introduce those guys, you might have an issue.

But for a standard game with no alien invasions, I think you're good. He might come off as a bit of a conspiracy theorist or flat earther but there's nothing stopping those being a thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sagara View Post
                            How likely is it that knowledgable people actually disbelieve the reincarnation of souls thing?
                            It's probably fine.

Originally posted by Sagara
                            Should I really encourage my player, newbie that he is, to move back in the "standart" reincarnation thing? I mean, he actually found out a cool concept in our misunderstanding!
                            ​I'm... not actually seeing how. I don't mean that to dispute anything, just that I feel as though there's a gap in your account.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                            Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                            https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                              On Creation, I think there's enough room for a character to go "Yeah, that reincarnation thing is a load of bunk." The celestial gods and sidereals know how it works and could prove it, but they don't interact with people much and generally don't have cause to. Sids especially can't do anything without revealing themselves.
                              Reincarnation is accepted fact in Heaven, but I'm not sure they can really prove it. I mean, how can you? I think there being an observable body of evidence that strongly points to the common understanding of reincarnation exists, that leaves wiggle room for this PC to not look like a climate science denier.

This wouldn't necessarily clash with Authochthonian reincarnation, as it could be the product of the closed loop of being Elsewhere.

For me at least, this makes the setting a bit more real, instead of people just having a perfect understanding of universal truth. Also gives a PC who wants to be Twilight Theoretical Physicist room to work with.

The Well of Souls and other things that made this harder haven't been name-dropped yet in 3e, and now I am curious as to what the first instance of the Well of Souls and reincarnation is in the text. I'm off to do some research!

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

• Thanks everyone!

I think the crux of my issue right now is being torn between the fact that's his very first RPG, meaning I don't want to drown him in complex roleplaying concepts, but still don't want to smother the cool accident his misunderstandig of the setting created. So I'm just going to be frank and ask him if he does feel like trying to play a character with unusual beliefs, with all that entails, roleplay-wise.

Comment

Working...
                                X