Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Snakesandsuns View Post
    How unbalanced would a non-decisive poison attack be? I have been thinking about making an artifact bow based off spiting cobras and I was thinking something along the lines an attack that uses a withering attack (without adding STR) but instead of doing damage it adds to the duration of snake venom. The Bow user does not gain initiative nor does the target loose initiative. The Target resists as normal.

Does that sound too good or just right?
    Well, we have Birdsong Over Blades in the DB preview which does something similar. It is a Decisive attack that does no damage and doesn't reset you to base, but applies the poison on your weapon. Plus some effects related to noticing the attack at all and resisting the poison.

Maybe have it work similarly?

Withering Attacks benefit from Weapon Accuracy, so they are easier to land, and maybe have funky interactions with other Withering Only Charms.

Remember that crashed foes suffer health damage from poisons.

So I would take the easy way out and do something similar to BOB's base effect, and not change the system widget that says poisons are applied through Decisive attacks.

Comment

• Originally posted by TGUEIROS View Post

Well, we have Birdsong Over Blades in the DB preview which does something similar. It is a Decisive attack that does no damage and doesn't reset you to base, but applies the poison on your weapon. Plus some effects related to noticing the attack at all and resisting the poison.

Maybe have it work similarly?

Withering Attacks benefit from Weapon Accuracy, so they are easier to land, and maybe have funky interactions with other Withering Only Charms.

Remember that crashed foes suffer health damage from poisons.

So I would take the easy way out and do something similar to BOB's base effect, and not change the system widget that says poisons are applied through Decisive attacks.
      Interesting! Honestly I was trying to rig this up mostly as a way to increase duration in a unique way and capture the idea of spraying out poison. As soon as I posted this however I thought maybe it would be easier to work it out as a gambit of difficulty 3 then roll Dex + Archery + 3 (normal snake venom duration) that would then be resisted in the normal manner. Then maybe a upgrade charm to increase the difficulty by 2 to blind the target.

Comment

• Anyone have the probabilities on how beneficial rerolling all failures once on a damage roll is compared to adding dice or automatic success assuming no double 10s?

Comment

• Originally posted by WalkingEye View Post
          Anyone have the probabilities on how beneficial rerolling all failures once on a damage roll is compared to adding dice or automatic success assuming no double 10s?
          If you reroll failures once then you change the chance of a failure on each die from 60% to 36%. So simply if you are not doubling 10s then this changes the average successes per roll from 0.4 to 0.64. So you can consider the value of reroll failures once as .24 successes per die.

Comment

• Originally posted by Klaek View Post

If you reroll failures once then you change the chance of a failure on each die from 60% to 36%. So simply if you are not doubling 10s then this changes the average successes per roll from 0.4 to 0.64. So you can consider the value of reroll failures once as .24 successes per die.
            Thanks! This will help me a lot.

Comment

• [2E] - The Sail Charm Sea Ambush Technique indicates that it doubles all successes on a Stealth action taken by a naval unit the Solar commands. What dice pool is used for a naval Stealth action?

DrLoveMonkey - "On the other hand having a warhammer that's basically a steel beer keg on the end of a seven foot pole is fucking awesome."

Comment

• Originally posted by Snakesandsuns View Post
                Interesting! Honestly I was trying to rig this up mostly as a way to increase duration in a unique way and capture the idea of spraying out poison. As soon as I posted this however I thought maybe it would be easier to work it out as a gambit of difficulty 3 then roll Dex + Archery + 3 (normal snake venom duration) that would then be resisted in the normal manner. Then maybe a upgrade charm to increase the difficulty by 2 to blind the target.
                Yeah, a gambit is a way to maintain the Decisive attack, but less powerful than BOB's, because gambits have initiative costs. I didn't get why the Archery roll with the +3, is that a way to extend the duration? Because that would be very powerful, the basic rule is that each application only increases the duration by a factor of the normal duration, if you add Dex+Archery roll (are you gonna let Excellency for that?) you are increasing the duration by a average total of 8 (sans Exc) or 13 (w/ Exc) which is three to five times the regular action economy returns.

That can easily poison someone, which gives not only the initiative drain by a hefty penalty to rolled actions, for the whole of even a very long fight, with only one attack, besides making it very hard to resist completely.

So I would be cautious with it, it is looking very powerful on a glance.

Comment

• Are peasants in the Realm bound to the land ala peasants in post-Sengoku Jidai Japan, or are they permitted to move about?

Comment

• Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
                    Are peasants in the Realm bound to the land ala peasants in post-Sengoku Jidai Japan, or are they permitted to move about?
                    If memory is not failing me they are bound to the land, and require travel papers to move around, papers that can be denied without any given reason by those that are allowed to give them.

But this is me saying. Both games I played steered far away from the Realm. Also by Realm, I'm assuming you mean the Blessed Isle, not the satrapies, because that is left to the satrapial governments to deal with, and therefore not something that is applied across the whole of the Empire.

Comment

• Originally posted by TGUEIROS View Post

If memory is not failing me they are bound to the land, and require travel papers to move around, papers that can be denied without any given reason by those that are allowed to give them.

But this is me saying. Both games I played steered far away from the Realm. Also by Realm, I'm assuming you mean the Blessed Isle, not the satrapies, because that is left to the satrapial governments to deal with, and therefore not something that is applied across the whole of the Empire.
                      Thanks. And I did mean the Blessed Isle.

Comment

• answered the wrong question. oops.
                        Last edited by Apromor; 05-31-2018, 04:29 PM.

I want to play this as a starting character, I don't even care what game
                        http://forum.atlas-games.com/viewtop...7a1c&start=272

Comment

• Originally posted by Octopoid View Post
                          [2E] - The Sail Charm Sea Ambush Technique indicates that it doubles all successes on a Stealth action taken by a naval unit the Solar commands. What dice pool is used for a naval Stealth action?

Anyone? Even suggestions would be helpful. I'm thinking of defaulting to (Wits + Sail), but if someone else has a rule and page number, that'd be swell. Thanks!

DrLoveMonkey - "On the other hand having a warhammer that's basically a steel beer keg on the end of a seven foot pole is fucking awesome."

Comment

• Originally posted by Octopoid View Post
                            Anyone? Even suggestions would be helpful. I'm thinking of defaulting to (Wits + Sail), but if someone else has a rule and page number, that'd be swell. Thanks!
                            Concealment maneuver, core, p. 245.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                              Concealment maneuver, core, p. 245.
                              Question was for 2e.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
                                Question was for 2e.
                                Sorry, blargh. Yeah, then Wits + Sail seems good, since 3e used exactly that stat pair.

Comment

Working...
                                X