Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Accelerator View Post

Whoops.

Eh, guess he forgot to answer my post then.
    Or maybe he prioritized other things over answering your post? Or didn't notice it?

Comment

• When writing stuff in An-Teng, would it be better to draw more from ancient Japan or ancient Vietnam/Cambodia etc in terms of wildlife, architecture and so on? The more classically Tengese stuff, I mean, not so much the areas that have been moulded by the Realm for their purposes.

Comment

• Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
        When writing stuff in An-Teng, would it be better to draw more from ancient Japan or ancient Vietnam/Cambodia etc in terms of wildlife, architecture and so on? The more classically Tengese stuff, I mean, not so much the areas that have been moulded by the Realm for their purposes.
        I would go Cambodia/Thailand/Vietnam (SE Asia) route.

Comment

• Originally posted by TGUEIROS View Post

That's what I was thinking, but as it's easier to find documentaries and such on Japan's wildlife I thought I'd ask so as to save myself trouble. It'll probably end up as a bit of a mash-up anyway - given that the fire-mountains are so nearby hot springs seem appropriate, similar water-control methods would likely be used and Shinto is one of the modern religions closest to Creation's particular brand of animism - but I'll try to hew more towards the SE Asia side of things.

Comment

• Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
            That's what I was thinking, but as it's easier to find documentaries and such on Japan's wildlife I thought I'd ask so as to save myself trouble. It'll probably end up as a bit of a mash-up anyway - given that the fire-mountains are so nearby hot springs seem appropriate, similar water-control methods would likely be used and Shinto is one of the modern religions closest to Creation's particular brand of animism - but I'll try to hew more towards the SE Asia side of things.
            I say SE Asia because An-Teng's vibe is more spice island, merchants bustling ports, pleasure palaces etc... That screams Ancient SE Asia to me. And ancient Japan has a much more isolationist vibe to me.

I might be sorely mistaken though, not even close to being an expert in any actual historical period or people.

Just talking about vibe and aesthetics.
            Last edited by TGUEIROS; 07-04-2018, 02:46 PM.

Comment

And ancient Japan has a much more isolationist vibe to me.
              I'm not aware of an especially isolationist bent to them prior to the 1600s.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
              Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
              https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

I'm not aware of an especially isolationist bent to them prior to the 1600s.
                Maybe they were just more isolated, more distant from other civilizations by sea and locked away by China/Korea by land?

I dunno, my mind just doesn't register Japan when I think of meeting of civilizations commercial hub kind of place. My impression is that most commercial traffic by land stopped when they reached China, and by sea when they reached SE Asia.

Again these are just impressions, not any statement of historical fact.

EDIT: Did some quick googling (also, not great google-fu) and couldn't find much on international trade by japanese with anyone but China/Korea prior to the portuguese arriving in the mid 1500s. Even then most trade was through SE Asia, and the japanese named that period Nanban Trade (南蛮貿易Nanban bōeki, "Southern barbarian trade"), which to me points to a general isolationist bent of the culture.
                Last edited by TGUEIROS; 07-04-2018, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Of the mainland SEA countries, Vietnam is the only one who is influenced much more by Chinese culture though, the most obvious difference is that Vietnam's Buddhism is Mahayana while Myanmar/Thailand/Cambodia/Laos are mostly Theravada.

The no.1 fan of Demetheus. I also draw Exalted things and is looking for commission works ~

Comment

• An-Teng being so distinctly SEA versus NEA (ie, Japan, China, Korea) to me is one of its most notable features and I would probably do what I can to capture that over other things myself. Japan especially is a bit "easy" take on Asia and I think An-Teng is meant to be exotic and strange in its own way that defaulting to Japan in a way both maeks Japan tood efault Asian and also misses out on a lot of what makes An-Teng cool in ways that just are very not Japanese at all.

And stuff.
                    My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

• I agree, very large parts of the setting are influenced by East Asian cultures, but An-Teng is the only one with any SE-Asian influence.

Wildlife-wise, since that's specifically what you brought up, An-Teng has elephants and tigers, which Japan does not.

(I assumed the stuff about how DBs come and annoy the locals by trying to wrestle elephants is a reference to all the badly-behaved western tourists in SE Asia)

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Jen View Post

Of the mainland SEA countries, Vietnam is the only one who is influenced much more by Chinese culture though, the most obvious difference is that Vietnam's Buddhism is Mahayana while Myanmar/Thailand/Cambodia/Laos are mostly Theravada.

Good to know! Thanks!

Comment

• Is there anything preventing Neomah from making animal babies, with no humans attached or mixed in?

Comment

• I don't believe so.

So that's one alternative way of making weird hybrids, outside a working.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                              I don't believe so.

So that's one alternative way of making weird hybrids, outside a working.
                              Personal headcanon.

In the more rural areas of creation, where men herd cattle, thaumaturgists and sorcerers summon Neomah to create new baby cattle to speed up the growth of herds. Cattle, especially in the bronze age, were expensive and often used as a sign of wealth. The cattle may be small now, but they can grow up to later be productive animals.

Comment

• The Realm uses rainbow money right? Every colour of jade used for coins and the like? I know the book art shows green jade but that seems weird or that they have so much extra of one kind of jade that they can use it for all their money purposes without it impacting how much it is used in other areas.

https://www.youtube.com/BogMod I play a lot of videogames.

Comment

Working...
                                X