Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • It seems weird, because in the real world green jade is way, way, way more common than other colours. But I guess in Creation... presumably yes? It doesn't really give the impression that green jade is more common than the other kinds.


    "Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

    Comment


    • Originally posted by BogMod View Post
      The Realm uses rainbow money right?
      It's weirdly almost never addressed. The only references to colour that I can recall are white jade, but I think even that might have been specific to the First Age.

      Multiple colours feels like it would make sense, but... also strikes me as a weird thing to do with a currency.

      On the other hand... hardly any jade actually circulates, because it's used as an exclusive currency for the elite with which they primarily buy luxury goods (and a significant quantity, if not the majority of that, only actually exists as numbers in their accounting ledgers), so they can probably afford to highly limit it. Even if they didn't, it's not exactly going to move very far afield.

      I guess that the closest thing that would make sense is that they mint and issue jade in colours corresponding to the respective portion of the Isle, and it's somewhere between a minor law and a taboo for a Dynast or their agents to ever pay for anything in the wrong colour.

      I mean, to the extent that they ever pay for anything; I can't recall if What Fire Has Wrought described how they purchase goods, I can only remember the original book talking about how the Exalt simply takes and members of their entourage handle the associated finances.


      I have approximate knowledge of many things.
      Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

      Comment


      • Originally posted by BogMod View Post
        The Realm uses rainbow money right? Every colour of jade used for coins and the like? I know the book art shows green jade but that seems weird or that they have so much extra of one kind of jade that they can use it for all their money purposes without it impacting how much it is used in other areas.
        Actually, white jade coinage might be somewhat more common because CoCD : Blessed Isle states that most of the jade used for coinage and artefacts in the Realm comes from the Juche Prefecture, but coinage value is not differentiated by colour and deposits are not restricted by direction.

        Green is used in the books most likely because green is the most common shade of jadeite and thus that was the goto for the original artist.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Greyman View Post
          Actually, white jade coinage might be somewhat more common because CoCD : Blessed Isle states that most of the jade used for coinage and artefacts in the Realm comes from the Juche Prefecture, but coinage value is not differentiated by colour and deposits are not restricted by direction.

          Green is used in the books most likely because green is the most common shade of jadeite and thus that was the goto for the original artist.

          I guess satrapis and whatnot mint their obols from whatever is their most commonly availiable color of jade


          Malfeas F'Tagn - go check out my epic MLP/Exalted crossover "The Scroll of Exalted ponies" @ Fimfiction

          Comment


          • Yeah, I've usually pictured the Realm having mostly white jade with a fairly even mix of the other colours making up the rest, while the threshold colonies tend to be predominantly that direction's jade plus white, with a scattering of the other three.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by webkilla View Post
              I guess satrapis and whatnot mint their obols from whatever is their most commonly availiable color of jade
              If they use jade for local coinage at all. Most threashold states use the silver standard or other forms of currency. Jade tribute would be sent back to the Realm in uncut talents, or perhaps bars.

              Mmm. I wonder what Cadet House ruled nations would do.
              Last edited by Greyman; 07-09-2018, 06:46 AM.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by webkilla View Post


                I guess satrapis and whatnot mint their obols from whatever is their most commonly availiable color of jade
                What makes you think that satrapies get to use jade currency for themselves?

                Even without the restrictions of Realm law, I would warrant that in most cases, jade is too valuable for the majority of people to be able to afford something that you would pay for with it.

                Originally posted by Greyman
                I wonder what Cadet House ruled nations would do.


                They strike me as likely candidates for places outside of the Blessed Isle to deal in the Realm's cash. I imagine the Dragon Blooded themselves have their own treasuries of jade, but those are for spending when they visit the Isle.


                I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

                Comment


                • A... question.

                  Port in celestial exalted sorcery to modern exalted. Use Incomparable body arsenal.

                  You can manifest weapons from your body. Does that mean guns, rocket launchers, and flamethrowers? Like, iron man?

                  Comment


                  • Weapons that exist in Creation.
                    So, giant flamepieces and firewands, yeah.


                    "Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                      Weapons that exist in Creation.
                      So, giant flamepieces and firewands, yeah.
                      Oh man this is so awesome.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                        Weapons that exist in Creation.
                        So, giant flamepieces and firewands, yeah.
                        I was assuming he meant the Exalted Modern shard, in which case, yes, guns that shoot bullets would not be unreasonable.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                          I was assuming he meant the Exalted Modern shard, in which case, yes, guns that shoot bullets would not be unreasonable.
                          Yes. Yes. Yeeeeessss.

                          There shall be dakka. Almost enough. But not enough.

                          I need a solar version of this.

                          Comment


                          • What attribute would you use with Linguistics if you were just trying to write a very entertaining novel?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Fredo View Post
                              What attribute would you use with Linguistics if you were just trying to write a very entertaining novel?

                              I could see this as Charisma, Manipulation, or Wits, depending on how you described it as entertaining. Charisma would involve writing prose that was just beautiful, and accurately conveyed your true passions that you put into the work. Manipulation would involve writing in a way that would engage your audience most strongly, pulling their heartstrings or playing to their biases. And Wits would be writing wittily, of course, presenting interesting puzzles, intricate dialog, and so forth.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post


                                I could see this as Charisma, Manipulation, or Wits, depending on how you described it as entertaining. Charisma would involve writing prose that was just beautiful, and accurately conveyed your true passions that you put into the work. Manipulation would involve writing in a way that would engage your audience most strongly, pulling their heartstrings or playing to their biases. And Wits would be writing wittily, of course, presenting interesting puzzles, intricate dialog, and so forth.
                                Note that wits is not the attribute of being 'witty'. The description in the core is Wits "rates a character's intuition, common sense, and ability to react quickly to new circumstances." Social attacks always fall under Charisma, Manipulation or Appearance. And since Appearance doesn't translate well to the written word, I'd say you'd be using Cha or Man for this kind of thing.

                                Based on the description of the attributes, manipulation is "used primarily in social influence [...] where the character is trying to evoke a desired response rather than to express his own feelings or outlook" and that sounds like it would be the most likely choice for writing an 'entertaining' book.


                                Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X