No announcement yet.

Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding martial arts: if a charm in a martial arts tree initiates a grapple with its effects, can the character benefit from charms such as crashing wave throw or unbreakable grasp, even if the thing grappling the foe isnt the characters limbs?
    Secondly: if a martial arts charm had you perform an unarmed attack can you supplement that unarmed attack with brawl charms? What of a martial art where you were using a worn weapon as the form weapon, could you supplement its attacks with any particular brawl charms (such as falling hammer strike?) In a similar vain what of other form weapons if using a martial art?
    Last edited by Nemo_Oceansoul; 08-02-2018, 05:13 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nemo_Oceansoul View Post
      Question regarding martial arts: if a charm in a martial arts tree initiates a grapple with its effects, can the character benefit from charms such as crashing wave throw or unbreakable grasp, even if the thing grappling the foe isnt the characters limbs?

Secondly: if a martial arts charm had you perform an unarmed attack can you supplement that unarmed attack with brawl charms? What of a martial art where you were using a worn weapon as the form weapon, could you supplement its attacks with any particular brawl charms (such as falling hammer strike?) In a similar vain what of other form weapons if using a martial art?
      The key is in what ability is used to make the roll.

Unless the charm itself calls out that it is an exception, a Martial Arts charm can neither initiate nor enhance an Attribute+Brawl roll, nor can a Brawl charm initiate or enhance an Attribute+Martial Arts roll.

Note: form weapon attacks usually cannot be used with Brawl rolls, unless you treat them as an improvised weapon. An except, of course, is when the form weapon is an unarmed strike. In any case, the above holds.
      Last edited by Greyman; 08-02-2018, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Question regarding martial arts: if a charm in a martial arts tree initiates a grapple with its effects, can the character benefit from charms such as crashing wave throw or unbreakable grasp, even if the thing grappling the foe isnt the characters limbs?
        Greyman is correct about not being allowed to "mix" charms of different Abilities on the same attack. However, on this question, I assume you're asking about a more general question, of a grapple initiated by something other than unarmed (a whip or fighting chain, for example), and then using Brawl charms on subsequent rounds of the grapple?

This is a bit of a fuzzy area, I'd say. Neither of the existing weapons with the Grappling tag are wielded with Brawling - if either of them were, I'd be fine saying that you could use Brawl charms on such a grapple freely. I think what I'd rule is that if you initiate a grapple with a non-Brawl-tagged weapon, you have to take an action to switch your grapple to unarmed before you can start using Brawl charms. I think such an action should use up two rounds of control, similar to restrain/pin.

Edited to add: Since the Ask the Devs thread has just clarified that restrain/pin actually uses up three rounds of control, effectively (one for the actual round you use, and then two more rounds as the cost), I'd adjust my above suggestion. I think that that cost is a bit too high for just switching from a weapon to unarmed in grappling, so I'd suggest the action to switch only costs 1 extra round of control.
        Last edited by Kelly Pedersen; 08-02-2018, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greyman View Post
          Note: form weapon attacks usually cannot be used with Brawl rolls, unless you treat them as an improvised weapon. An except, of course, is when the form weapon is an unarmed strike. In any case, the above holds.
          I don't actually think you can use any form weapon with brawl the way you suggest. You can't just add the improvised tag onto any weapon and use it as normal. Either you know how to use the weapon or you don't. Otherwise, grab a table leg and go to town. You can only use weapons with brawl if they have the brawl tag. Otherwise you've got to use melee or martial arts (if the martial art has the weapon as a form weapon).

Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post

Greyman is correct about not being allowed to "mix" charms of different Abilities on the same attack. However, on this question, I assume you're asking about a more general question, of a grapple initiated by something other than unarmed (a whip or fighting chain, for example), and then using Brawl charms on subsequent rounds of the grapple?

This is a bit of a fuzzy area, I'd say. Neither of the existing weapons with the Grappling tag are wielded with Brawling - if either of them were, I'd be fine saying that you could use Brawl charms on such a grapple freely. I think what I'd rule is that if you initiate a grapple with a non-Brawl-tagged weapon, you have to take an action to switch your grapple to unarmed before you can start using Brawl charms. I think such an action should use up two rounds of control, similar to restrain/pin.

Edited to add: Since the Ask the Devs thread has just clarified that restrain/pin actually uses up three rounds of control, effectively (one for the actual round you use, and then two more rounds as the cost), I'd adjust my above suggestion. I think that that cost is a bit too high for just switching from a weapon to unarmed in grappling, so I'd suggest the action to switch only costs 1 extra round of control.
            Uh, no I don't think that's how it works.

Note that the grapple gambit can be initiated with any weapon with the grapple tag (using melee or brawl) the control roll is always Strength+Brawl(or MA). So any grapple roll is already doing what you're talking about for free (IE switching from melee to brawl).

It's the cost of using your melee pool and accuracy to make the grapple but then you're stuck with a completely different roll to actually secure the grapple. Otherwise grapple would be just too good.

EDIT: To expand on this, you can use brawl charms to enhance the grapple gambit if you're using brawl weapons, melee charms if you've got a melee weapon with a grapple tag, or MA if you're using a form weapon with the grapple tag. None of those charms can boost any of the other's grapple gambit. If you suceed in landing the grapple, you have to use STR + (brawl or MA) to establish control rounds. Note that this is not an attack. This is an ability check. It's not dependent on weapon and you don't get to add accuracy to the roll. You can use brawl or MA charms to boost the roll, but only if you use the same ability to establish control.
            Last edited by armyofwhispers; 08-02-2018, 12:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by armyofwhispers View Post
              Uh, no I don't think that's how it works.

Note that the grapple gambit can be initiated with any weapon with the grapple tag (using melee or brawl) the control roll is always Strength+Brawl(or MA). So any grapple roll is already doing what you're talking about for free (IE switching from melee to brawl).

It's the cost of using your melee pool and accuracy to make the grapple but then you're stuck with a completely different roll to actually secure the grapple. Otherwise grapple would be just too good.

EDIT: To expand on this, you can use brawl charms to enhance the grapple gambit if you're using brawl weapons, melee charms if you've got a melee weapon with a grapple tag, or MA if you're using a form weapon with the grapple tag. None of those charms can boost any of the other's grapple gambit. If you suceed in landing the grapple, you have to use STR + (brawl or MA) to establish control rounds. Note that this is not an attack. This is an ability check. It's not dependent on weapon and you don't get to add accuracy to the roll. You can use brawl or MA charms to boost the roll, but only if you use the same ability to establish control.

the major reason i ask is because a character im using is using a martial art written by someone known as momo: where one of the charms summons a tentacle of elemental water which grapples an opponent, but it dissapears at the start of my next turn, but i get a reflexive withering throw or slam. im just wondering if i can combine that with a charm from brawl or not?

Comment

the major reason i ask is because a character im using is using a martial art written by someone known as momo: where one of the charms summons a tentacle of elemental water which grapples an opponent, but it dissapears at the start of my next turn, but i get a reflexive withering throw or slam. im just wondering if i can combine that with a charm from brawl or not?

You can't unless the Brawl charm specifies.

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

• As a solar Is there anything i can do to overcome a successful social action that was supplemented by Soul-Bracing Momentous Power sooner than the solars essence days?

Comment

• So, the kabukimono of Japan: would people take that social trend more as an inspiration for a general background for Lunars, or a realization of Infernals?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Anyone got a link to a high-resolution map of Creation?
                      I've got two, http://armrha.org/exaltedmap/ and http://howsfamily.net/Exalted/map/, but they're not high enough resolution. I want to cut out a square and blow it up, so I can put extra stuff on it and use it as a map for a game. But they look rather pixely when I do. (I also tried the bit in the Core, since it just shows a small section so I thought would be bigger, but it's even more pixely).

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

• How long does it take to develop a new charm in Ex3?

Comment

• A few days, depending on it's level and whether it's favoured or not. could be up to a week and a bit for high-essence non-favoured ones.

If you mean coming up with a totally novel one... about the same since there's no real in-universe distinction.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                            A few days, depending on it's level and whether it's favoured or not. could be up to a week and a bit for high-essence non-favoured ones.

If you mean coming up with a totally novel one... about the same since there's no real in-universe distinction.
                            The impression I always got was that every new charm you learn was novel to your character. It's possible to receive training in charms from other characters but the book calls out that that's not how most chosen approach it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                              So, the kabukimono of Japan: would people take that social trend more as an inspiration for a general background for Lunars, or a realization of Infernals?
                              Gangs of ronin samurai dressing flamboyantly and acting as a law unto themselves? That would be instigated by dragonblooded, or descendants of dragonblooded putting on airs.

Though I could see an Infernal, Solar, or Lunar, infiltrating and exagerating such a trend.
                              Last edited by Greyman; 08-09-2018, 04:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greyman View Post
                                Gangs of ronin samurai dressing flamboyantly and acting as a law unto themselves? That would be instigated by dragonblooded, or descendants of dragonblooded putting on airs.
                                I was mostly focused on the mindset of people who live with an idea of being outside of social norms and advertising that loudly with flamboyant and highly unconventional clothing, vulgar mannerisms and casual criminality.

The aesthetic of it fits a lot with my idea of the Green Sun Princes; that between the nature of their magic and the contrast in stature between their life now and before Exaltation, that many are liable to take on very extravagant fashions that project a challenging statement to those around them.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                                Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                                https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Working...
                                X