Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    Anyone got some interesting ideas for the totem animal of a Lunar water-sorcerer? Fish are the obvious ones, turtles, octopi, whales. Any unusual or interesting ideas? Or particularly cool, or, more importantly, mythically associated fish?
    Jellyfish Lunar!

JELLYFISH LUNAR!

Jellyfish Lunar.

Edit: I forgot how embedding jpg (of which I have none) works.

Follow the link!
    https://www.deviantart.com/scara64/a...xalt-148509317
    Last edited by Isator Levi; 10-03-2018, 06:29 PM.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• How about a ray of some variety - Manta, Sting, or fantastical? They're already very cloak-like. His tattoos could appear as a labyrinthine construct of sigils and runes, and depending on the Anima you choose, could extend the "cloak" theme with a shimmering pool of shadow.

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Comment

• Those are good ideas, thanks.

Anyone else have any ideas?

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

• Question. What would you do to a spell or charm that dispels unnatural mental influence, like removing emotion effects or memory modifications?

Comment

• Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
            Question. What would you do to a spell or charm that dispels unnatural mental influence, like removing emotion effects or memory modifications?
            Can you clarify what you mean by "what would you do to [it]?"

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
              Apologies. Ok, so you dispel mental influence.... so what is the roll off? Should this be allowed by a terrestrial spell?

I mean, peacock shadow eyes and theft of memory can already alter beliefs and memories. Isn't it not impossible to then dispel unnatural mental influence?

Comment

• Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
                Question. What would you do to a spell or charm that dispels unnatural mental influence, like removing emotion effects or memory modifications?
                Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
                Apologies. Ok, so you dispel mental influence.... so what is the roll off? Should this be allowed by a terrestrial spell?

I mean, peacock shadow eyes and theft of memory can already alter beliefs and memories. Isn't it not impossible to then dispel unnatural mental influence?
                Okay, for clarity, the term Unnatural Mental Influence, and those spells, are from second edition (Book of Sorcery II: Black and White Treatises). So are you after second edition rulling, or a third edition upgrade? For the first case, Emerald Countermagic could be used to shatter any terrestrial spell in effect. The only question is interpreting if the spell's duration is instant or permanant. (Second edition spells were often unclear about this.)

Beyond that, Peacock Shadow Eyes specifically allows several Investigation based social influences to unravel the spell (a count of successful attemps equal to the sorcerer's essence rank).

Theft of Memory does not specify a convenient escape clause, but ... I'd allow a new Willpower expenditure if the victim is reunited with the emerald-or at least not allow it to be countermagiced without the emerald holding the memory (since "questing to recover mcguffin holding magically stollen memories" is a classic plot hook).
                Last edited by Greyman; 10-05-2018, 02:03 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greyman View Post

Okay, for clarity, the term Unnatural Mental Influence, and those spells, are from second edition (Book of Sorcery II: Black and White Treatises). So are you after second edition rulling, or a third edition upgrade? For the first case, Emerald Countermagic could be used to shatter any terrestrial spell in effect. The only question is interpreting if the spell's duration is instant or permanant. (Second edition spells were often unclear about this.)

Beyond that, Peacock Shadow Eyes specifically allows several Investigation based social influences to unravel the spell (a count of successful attemps equal to the sorcerer's essence rank).

Theft of Memory does not specify a convenient escape clause, but ... I'd allow a new Willpower expenditure if the victim is reunited with the emerald-or at least not allow it to be countermagiced without the emerald holding the memory (since "questing to recover mcguffin holding magically stollen memories" is a classic plot hook).
                  Given his previous pattern of questions, I assume that Accelerator is actually trying to ask about a spell that would remove effects created by spells and charms with the "psyche" Keyword which is the 3E equivalent of unnatural mental influence.

To answer his original question: I'd model it as a spell that created a weakness in the effect rather than dispel it outright. Something that create the conditions for a quest, based on the specific psyche effect, that, if completed, ends the effect permanently. I'd say this would have to be at least celestial circle sorcery, though it wouldn't be able to break solar circle stuff.

Alternatively, I think there's room for a spell that renders the target immune to psyche effects while active, but it would wouldn't be quite as simple as that. Perhaps something that deadens all emotions and intimacies while active. Or perhaps a solar circle spell that creates a ring of flowers around your head (number based on a roll) and each time you want to reject a type of influence, a flower opens and counts as a defining intimacy or something. Then if you get whammied by a psyche effect you could sacrifice three at once to shrug it off, perhaps?

Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

Comment

• What's up with the river that passes through Sijan and has apparent deltae at both Lookshy and the White Sea? Is it two separate rivers originating in the Medoan mountains? A very thin sea? A canal? Magic? Something else?

Comment

• Originally posted by Matthias View Post
                      What's up with the river that passes through Sijan and has apparent deltae at both Lookshy and the White Sea? Is it two separate rivers originating in the Medoan mountains? A very thin sea? A canal? Magic? Something else?

I don't know if this will be the case in 3e, but in 2nd Edition, it was a relic of the First Age, a gigantic canal. It draws water from the White Sea in the north and uses magic to desalinate the water, which then flows south to join the Yanaze River.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hand-of-Omega View Post

Um, Games of Divinity absolutely lists those Soul roles as titles in each write-up of all of its Second Circle Demons...Unless you mean something else?...
                        It says that the souls pertain to those features, and lists demons with roles, but doesn't go on and say those are the only titles to go with those roles anywhere. It lists the roles, and examples with the roles, but doesn't then detail what all thsoe roles are to what title.

Basically, they're a bit less exhaustive in presentaiton in Games of Divinity versus Roll of Glorious Divinity II.

And stuff.
                        My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                          Anyone got some interesting ideas for the totem animal of a Lunar water-sorcerer? Fish are the obvious ones, turtles, octopi, whales. Any unusual or interesting ideas? Or particularly cool, or, more importantly, mythically associated fish?
                          Oarfish would give you the classic sea serpent, assuming such exist in Creation.

Archer fish spit water at bugs like bullets, so if you want your magic to actually manipulate water that could be good totem animal.

Sea horses if you're into mpreg...

Comment

• Question: how would one handle chariots, wagons and other similar vehicles too small and too different in handling to use the Sail rules for? Just treat them as mounts? If so, how would you handle ramming?

I ask because I'm converting a number of charms from TAW over to 3e and Roaring Monster Chariot, Magic Teatray Method and Fleeting Pestle Flight are some of my favourites.
                            Last edited by ajf115; 10-08-2018, 02:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
                              Question: how would one handle chariots, wagons and other similar vehicles too small and too different in handling to use the Sail rules for? Just treat them as mounts? If so, how would you handle ramming?
                              I'd treat ground vehicles as using Ride, and use the rules for mounts, yes. For charging, I'd suggest allowing a new technique, "Charging". This would require the user to move one range band toward the enemy, and come into Close range, before making either a withering or decisive attack. If you hit, add the mount's speed bonus to damage for withering, or half that (round down) for decisive, and in either case, the victim is knocked prone as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post

I'd treat ground vehicles as using Ride, and use the rules for mounts, yes. For charging, I'd suggest allowing a new technique, "Charging". This would require the user to move one range band toward the enemy, and come into Close range, before making either a withering or decisive attack. If you hit, add the mount's speed bonus to damage for withering, or half that (round down) for decisive, and in either case, the victim is knocked prone as well.
                                This already exists. It's called the 'impale' technique. Page 203 second to last paragraph in the mounted combat section. If you are already aware of the impale technique and you're suggesting a watered down variety, I would encourage you to reconsider. These things have all been playtested out as is, and generally have a reason for being the way they are. Making a charge really easy to pull off sounds like it's very open to abuse.

Edit: Not to mention tacking on the benefits of a smashing attack. That seems very much extra broken.

Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

Comment

Working...
                                X