No announcement yet.

Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is only 3 paragraphs though, and "the most remote, and least enforced redoubt" doesn't sound like it'd have much effect on the society anyway.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

• Are there any functional organization systems for 3e, analogous to the old Creation-Ruling Mandate system? I'm doing a rough update of the Terrifying Argent Witches charms to 3e for the use of NPCs, and I need something to transpose the Charisma 'Command' charms based upon.

Comment

• No, nothing like that.

I only skimmed TAW once, so I'm not familiar with these charms. Would they work on bureaucracy projects instead? Or the intimacies of the society?

I assume they're not war-based command charms.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
          No, nothing like that.

I only skimmed TAW once, so I'm not familiar with these charms. Would they work on bureaucracy projects instead? Or the intimacies of the society?

I assume they're not war-based command charms.
          These are the ones in question:
          WILL-WORKING ENTHUSIASM
          Cost: 5m; Mins: Charisma 3, Essence 2; Type: Supplemental
          Keywords: Combo-OK
          Duration: Instant
          Prerequisite Charms: Tyrant’s Heartfelt Hand
          Where there’s a will, there’s a way. This Charm enhances any project roll the Lunar takes an active part in, reducing its Capital cost by one (this does not stack with other uses of this Charm). In addition, any modifiers – positive or negative – to the project’s dice pool applied by organizational intimacies are increased by (Lunar’s Charisma). These do not count as dice added by Charms.

MOON MESSIAH FEVER
          Cost: 5m, 1wp; Mins: Charisma 4, Essence 2; Type: Simple (Dramatic Action)
          Keywords: Emotion
          Duration: (Size) days
          Prerequisite Charms: Tyrant’s Heartfelt Hand
          Infectious excitement spreads from the Lunar to those she commands, like a hot summer plague through a midnight festival. This Charm is a dramatic action in which the Lunar spends at least (Size) days making himself highly visible to an organization he has enough authority to take Leadership Actions within, over the course of no more than two weeks - giving public speeches, going on procession through his capital city, conducting interviews with employees, etc. Once he has done so, the group immediately acquires an appropriate positive intimacy toward him. Alternatively, he can grant the organization a copy of any intimacy that he possesses.

And the final paragraph of this one:

THUNDER-MOCKING MOON MOOD
          Cost: 0-10m, 1wp; Mins: Charisma 5, Essence 3; Type: Simple
          Keywords: Shaping
          Duration: Indefinite
          Prerequisite Charms: Beloved World-Song Chorus
          The hearts of the Lunar Exalted overflow into the world itself, clouds parting like their smile, the sky weeping to match their tears. This Charm can only be activated in valid terrain, allowing the Lunar to commit up to ten motes to command the climate and weather within that terrain up to a radius of (Charisma) miles. Changing the weather to another type is a reflexive action, but takes one minute to come into full effect. He can only produce one kind of weather at a time, but can produce anything from burning sun to sudden blizzards or gentle rain, with the only limit being how many motes he has committed to this Charm.

Two committed motes allows him to produce changes that conform to the normal expectations for the region, season, and the current conditions, such as provoking rain on an overcast day. Producing weather counter to the current conditions (but still in line with the region and season) requires four committed motes, while ignoring either the region or season requires six motes, and ten motes allows the Lunar to direct the climate without any regard for the context, producing snowstorms in the deep South. He may reflexively commit further motes to the Charm as necessary. He may also increase his effective number of committed motes by four if his current mood matches the change he is inflicting, though this allows others to attempt to read his motives through the weather.

Depending on its severity, this weather can penalize inappropriate actions within its radius. Fog reduces sight, heavy rain limits archery, snowstorms reduce scavenging opportunities, and so on. Conversely, certain activities can benefit from appropriate weather, allowing certain penalties to be bypassed. On a greater scale, projects can suffer from disasters of varying levels (Masters of Jade, pp. 71) at the hands of a malevolent climate, while helpful weather can offer a suitable advantage. The Storyteller should exercise their judgement, but external penalties applied by the Lunar’s weather should not exceed –(Charisma) even in the most extreme cases, and the Lunar cannot produce weather more hazardous than a severe sandstorm (Exalted, pp. 131).

So yeah, it's mostly dealing with organizational Intimacies.
          Last edited by ajf115; 12-05-2018, 03:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
            So do we know anything about this Nechara place aside from what's mentioned in the corebook? Like was it in previous editions?
            It will get a full write-up in Across the Eight Directions.

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

• What with the whole thing around Withering and Decisive attacks, is it possible to be a sniper in Ex3?

Comment

• Yeah. You need hella awareness to pump up that join battle roll and go straight for a decisive.

Comment

• Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
                  What with the whole thing around Withering and Decisive attacks, is it possible to be a sniper in Ex3?

That depends on what you mean by "sniper". If you mean just "someone who hides and attacks from long range", then you can absolutely play a sniper. What will happen is that your first few attacks will miss, but frighten, startle, or otherwise discomfit your enemies (that is, successful withering attacks), until you decide to use your built-up initiative to do a decisive attack, at which point the shot will hit home, and kill or seriously wound your target. All of this will be improved if you're sneaking about, because you'll be getting surprise attacks, thus getting more successes past their defense, and thus gaining initiative more quickly.

However, if you're talking more about an action or war movie-style sniper, who tend to spend most of the scene lining up the "perfect shot" in a series of shots that escalate tension, before finally taking the shot and killing someone critical, that's going to be a bit tougher. It's not the sort of action that really works well in any RPG, I feel, since it involves one character not really doing anything, until their big dramatic moment. Exalted in particular favors a model where the characters are doing something every turn, keeping things moving.

That said, there are probably ways to do the second type of sniper in Exalted. I'd do it with charms, rather than change the base rules, because that means, if a player really wants to engage in that sort of scene, of doing nothing for a while until they finally make a hit, they can do it, but they have to spend some character resources. Building it into the basic rules involves a more strong push to make all ranged characters take that role. I would say any "sniper" charms would be in Archery. A Solar might get charms that let them build initiative using Aim actions, for instance. That would let them get the initiative to unleash an impressive decisive attack without having to make a bunch of withering attacks first, but also would avoid the problem of letting them have all that initiative on the very first round of combat where they just end a fight un-interestingly quickly. I'd also suggest making the charm require a roll of some kind, perhaps (Perception + Archery), opposed by the best (Perception + Awareness) among the enemies on the battlefield, with success determining the amount of initiative gained, but failure giving the enemy a hint of where the sniper is. That means that at least the sniper is rolling each turn, and there's some possibility of failure, rather than it being just a series of "I aim" for three turns, and then "I make a decisive attack".

Comment

What with the whole thing around Withering and Decisive attacks, is it possible to be a sniper in Ex3?
                    If it's somebody important enough to be using Withering and Decisive attacks on, you can be a sniper in the dramatic sense of launching careful attacks from a long enough distance that an opponent can't effectively fight back to or even see where you are, working gradually towards getting them with the right attack. You can also use ambush and unexpected attack rules to get a decent shot at inflicting a mortal blow from the start, although it's not a guarantee.

If you want to be a sniper in the sense of people going around in the open and then suddenly somebody has an arrow right through the eye or throat, dead before they even knew what had happened... you can do that to trivial opponents and non-combatants. Like, you don't need to use all or any of the combat rules when you're killing somebody who does not have a fighting chance. When you finally have your confrontation with an elderly Guild factor who has remotely inflicted significant harm on you, you don't need to roll for every health level (and in a lot of cases, rolling at all is a bit excessive anyway).

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Yes. Keep in mind that a lot of enemies may qualify as trivial opponents, so the withering/decisive split really only applies against significant enemies.
                      Last edited by TheCountAlucard; Yesterday, 10:15 PM.

Comment

• Would anybody ever play a Lunar in which their Familiar is their own animal child?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post

That depends on what you mean by "sniper". If you mean just "someone who hides and attacks from long range", then you can absolutely play a sniper. What will happen is that your first few attacks will miss, but frighten, startle, or otherwise discomfit your enemies (that is, successful withering attacks), until you decide to use your built-up initiative to do a decisive attack, at which point the shot will hit home, and kill or seriously wound your target. All of this will be improved if you're sneaking about, because you'll be getting surprise attacks, thus getting more successes past their defense, and thus gaining initiative more quickly.

However, if you're talking more about an action or war movie-style sniper, who tend to spend most of the scene lining up the "perfect shot" in a series of shots that escalate tension, before finally taking the shot and killing someone critical, that's going to be a bit tougher. It's not the sort of action that really works well in any RPG, I feel, since it involves one character not really doing anything, until their big dramatic moment. Exalted in particular favors a model where the characters are doing something every turn, keeping things moving.

That said, there are probably ways to do the second type of sniper in Exalted. I'd do it with charms, rather than change the base rules, because that means, if a player really wants to engage in that sort of scene, of doing nothing for a while until they finally make a hit, they can do it, but they have to spend some character resources. Building it into the basic rules involves a more strong push to make all ranged characters take that role. I would say any "sniper" charms would be in Archery. A Solar might get charms that let them build initiative using Aim actions, for instance. That would let them get the initiative to unleash an impressive decisive attack without having to make a bunch of withering attacks first, but also would avoid the problem of letting them have all that initiative on the very first round of combat where they just end a fight un-interestingly quickly. I'd also suggest making the charm require a roll of some kind, perhaps (Perception + Archery), opposed by the best (Perception + Awareness) among the enemies on the battlefield, with success determining the amount of initiative gained, but failure giving the enemy a hint of where the sniper is. That means that at least the sniper is rolling each turn, and there's some possibility of failure, rather than it being just a series of "I aim" for three turns, and then "I make a decisive attack".

Stalking Wolf Attitude (Ex3 p404) is pretty much the charm you want for the second type of sniper

Comment

• On sniping: There are charms that add damage when aiming. That, plus a big JB, should be able to seriously injure or kill even a lot of non-trivial opponents. Tough Exalts are just going to be wounded; but then, the game is designed so your PC doesn't easily get murdered with no build-up walking down the street, and that's probably a good thing.

If you're really keen, as has been said, Stalking Wolf Attitude. Just be aware it gets expensive. But you are putting everything into your alpha strike.

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                              Would anybody ever play a Lunar in which their Familiar is their own animal child?
                              Seems fine conceptually. In my experience though, Lunar PCs never take familiars, because they can do all the same stuff themselves. Maybe 3rd ed will change that, as I believe there will be some Familiar charms.

Comment

Working...
                              X