Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
    Ok, I have a question, I want to make a thread, and I kinda need some help articulating the issue.

The thing is, I like the bio-tech and biomechanical nature of Demons of the first circle. Issue is, while they're pretty darned awesome for their power in the bronze-age world of Exalted, sometimes when I compare them to the capability of, say, a sci-fi world like Eclipse phase or star wars, they seem rather.... lackluster in power and versatility. So I'm going to make a thread here, as well as on Rpg.net, about making demons in high sci-fi, as if they were from Heaven's Reach. So what must I watch out for? Or what must I discuss?
    First whether or not demons are being consciously designed or just incidentally designed is an important factor. A conscious decision allows for filling in more gaps and possibly odder scenarios, but do need to fullfill a sort of logic in their design. To use an old example from Warhammer 40k, the Tyranids once created a massive creature and sent it charging across a battlefield where it was shot by basically everyone until they had finally shot it to do death during the charge and fell over. Afterwords it was discovered the thing had no other systems in it and that had been designed to eat up the enemy's ammo by getting shot a lot and then maybe crush some of them when it fell over dead. The problem is that illogical aspects become a problem when these things are purposely designed ie why make stomach bottle bugs not immune to poison if they're sole function is to eat the stuff?

Incidental creation just means these things are spawned out of a need for something and other traits aren't really considered. So the stomach bottle bugs show up because someone needed something to clean up and dispose of all the poisons and toxins around and the ability to survive the cleanup wasn't considered.

Above that though, try to make avoid demons being too purposely created. One thing for there to be a demon that eats toxic waste and defecates fuel for engines. Its another thing for that demon to also instinctively create and carry around gas cans for people to collect and do nothing else but create engine fuel.

Comment

• Originally posted by serGregness View Post
      What's the significance of Tepet Ejava being called 'Roseblack'?
      Per Aspect Book: Wood: after she took her Second Breath, there was an incident at her school where she poisoned the Headmistress' garden with her anima, killing her roses at the root and turning them black. The nickname was bestowed on Ejava to mock her, but she embraced it.
      Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 01-17-2019, 06:05 AM.

Comment

• So become the Hammer, the Dragonblooded brawl excellency is fun and sexy. Being a reroll 6’s charm means they reroll 6-10’s right?

This charm seems to the Sexy, am I missing something? I remember bringing this up back in the preview days but I don’t remember if it’s Changed.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

• I was under the impression that rerolls just apply to the stated die. You might be thinking of doubles.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
            So become the Hammer, the Dragonblooded brawl excellency is fun and sexy. Being a reroll 6’s charm means they reroll 6-10’s right?

This charm seems to the Sexy, am I missing something? I remember bringing this up back in the preview days but I don’t remember if it’s Changed.

Not that sexy, you're mixing up the double 7 rule. The doubles are the ones where it makes it so every number between that and 10 is a double success. Become the Hammer's instruction to reroll sixes until you don't get anymore sixes in your results only applies to the number six not any above it. Still potentially terrifying considering this is applies to damage rolls, which has can be dangerous as heck with a good momentum pool built up.

Comment

• Ah of course thank you!

Oh page 616...
              How Marvelous!

Comment

• Are there rough rules for dropping heavy Objects on folks, I know we have the trap guideline but something like using the feat of strength chart to determine damage?

What about using extra large improvised weapons like throwing a Mammoth Carcass or a Bed? Like maybe treat the bed as a heavy improvised thrown weapon and a Mammoth as a heavy improvised weapon but using Artifact damage?

Comment

• Falling damage but you apply it to the thing it lands on?

Comment

• Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                    Are there rough rules for dropping heavy Objects on folks, I know we have the trap guideline but something like using the feat of strength chart to determine damage?
                    Not as such; successive devs now have avoided such rules, because, well, here's Eric Minton's bit on it.

Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
                    "Pick up an X" is not the same thing as "Swing an X around fast enough and hard enough to hit someone with it with lethal force." The world's best weightlifters can deadlift half a ton, but that's a far cry from hitting you with a half-ton barbell.

There are three issues in play here that I am seeing right now. "How does physics work?" is a bit ambiguous in a world full of magic and stunts, and "What is cool?" is subjective. But the third factor is gameplay, and my feeling at the moment is that "Mythical enchanted weapons are okay, but the real path to ultimate combat prowess is swinging prehistoric megafauna at people" is a problematic approach for the game to take.

As for me, I'd say that if an object falls onto someone, that should be resolved differently than someone dropping or throwing it down onto them. The former is an environmental hazard, the latter is an attack.

​And representing larger objects, I would cap the damage at heavy mundane thrown, and save artifact stats for artifacts. For an absolutely huge item I'd probably call for a roll to not get trapped under it.
                    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 01-21-2019, 06:34 AM.

Comment

• I was considering mixing trap with some sort of environmental hazard for a rule concerning collapsing a house on someone.

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                      Falling damage but you apply it to the thing it lands on?
                      I was considering that too, but maybe limit it to dice? Thoughts? Isn’t it too clunky?

Comment

• I'd say that if it's an object large enough to plausibly pulverise a human outright, you might use a simple Dodge roll to get out of the way (if it's small enough), and it's otherwise one of those uncountable sources of damage that Seven Shadow Evasion, Heavenly Guardian Defence and Adamant Skin Technique counter without contest.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Also keep in mind that trying to quickly lift and throw something on the larger end of the scale is likelier by far to result in you gouging out a mass of it with your hands instead. Hence my capping it at heavy thrown weapon.

Comment

• Would it basically just be a Decisive, but using your Dex or Strength plus Athletics to hit, and Initiative as normal for the damage?

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Darkstep View Post
                              Would it basically just be a Decisive, but using your Dex or Strength plus Athletics to hit, and Initiative as normal for the damage?
                              The problem with using athletic to attack is that the athletic charms have a lot more cap breaking capabilities than the combat abilities. That is great for the silly difficulties used in feats of strength, but not so great in combat

Maybe look at the siege weapons rules in arms?

Comment

• I like the look of the mundane siege equipment in place of a regular thrown weapon's stats, with that Bombard tag showing how unwieldy such missiles should be against small (person-sized) targets. Maybe treat rocks and other blunt objects as catapult stones, and things like flagpoles and timbers as ballistae?

Comment

Working...
                                X