Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
    With a merit for it working for mortals as well, so that any poor schmuck can read the book, go mad, and rampage? And also a merit for letting anyone reading it instinctively understand it?
    From how you describe the situation the mortal who reads the book is less empowered by forbidden knowledge and more possessed by it. The book is the real antagonist even if it lacks a will of its own.

    In contrast to Lovecraftian madness Ex3 derangements allow a large degree of personal autonomy. As long as you don’t run out of willpower, the greatest danger they represent is that they’re intimacies you can’t change without outside help.

    A character who survives this experience and claws their way back to some level of functionality might be a candidate for the Scarred by Nightmares sorcerous initiation.



    Onyx Path Forum Moderator
    Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Lioness View Post

      A character who survives this experience and claws their way back to some level of functionality might be a candidate for the Scarred by Nightmares sorcerous initiation.
      It seems kind of odd to go with the idea that this particular tome doesn't grant its own kind of initiation, just a jagged means of accessing an existing one.

      At the same time, I think the proposition for how the book generally interacts with people is also overthinking things.

      It sounds to me like it's an object through which one can initiate into sorcery that is pretty dangerous to grapple with even if you have the potential to become a sorcerer. In that, it's hardly much different from Mara, ifrit lords, or the Wyld.

      I'd say that between those initiations and the one around Raksi in the Lunars book, one should be able to put together a grimoire that is scary and dangerous and provides shaping rituals and special Merits and Evocations conveying the idea of getting knowledge from a book.

      As well it should. I think grimoires are most interesting when they're not merely spellcasting manuals (even if those things exist elsewhere) but are a bit lively. I for one am quite thankful for the systems of shaping rituals and Evocations to give the Book of Three Circles something more interesting to be than just a comprehensive compendium of spells that maybe automatically fixes or updates itself.

      Originally posted by Elfive
      Initiations grant merits. so with the talisman those merits could take the place of evocations.


      Nnnnoooooo the Talisman draws a clear distinction between its sorcery Merits and being able to purchase actual Evocations for it.


      I have approximate knowledge of many things.
      Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

      Comment


      • So, once per scene Ahlat can pay 1wp to get a super-awesome benefit. The default suggestion is 5 free initiative, but other possibilities include learning an entire martial art for a scene.

        What martial art do you reckon is the best pick for him? I was thinking that White Reaper would be good because he uses a spear, but I'm not sure if it's actually a particularly useful pick for him. 5 free initiative's not to be sniffed at! I mean, I imagine White Reaper's good if he's fighting a battle group, and Golden Janissary if he's fighting a creature of darkness, but more generally when he's fighting powerful opponents (like a high-essence Exalt) is there a particular style you'd rate?

        Or a particular evocation tree? As that's also potentially available.
        Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 05-09-2019, 04:22 PM.


        My characters:
        Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
        Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

        Comment


        • I mean a typical 5 dot Artifact tree like the Fogotten Blade or Stormcaller would be very useful picks, mainly in just how strong they are. That said I'm not actually sure how that would play out in game. But that's pretty much what I'd do.

          ED. Oh wait, ahlat getting Evocations, isnt this under the assumption of how Evocations originally worked in the Core and the example Artifacts there in? Though admittedly I guess there wouldn't be that much difference I think
          Last edited by Iceblade44; 05-09-2019, 04:45 PM.


          .

          Comment


          • Possibly, yeah.


            My characters:
            Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
            Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

            Comment


            • I'd say it could depend on the opponent and what they've brought to bear. If someone thought to challenge him with an army at his back, then White Reaper for sure, but other enemies might suggest a different approach.
              Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 05-09-2019, 06:37 PM.

              Comment


              • Black claw would be great but ahlat would never use it.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Maseiken View Post
                  Black claw would be great but ahlat would never use it.
                  The, well, idea of Ahlat acting out the role of small guy being beaten out by bigger bullying dude never ceases to make me amused.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Maseiken View Post
                    Black claw would be great but ahlat would never use it.
                    You know, I was ready to float a notion of Ahlat being bigger than his write-up, but looking back I don't quite think I need it: Ahlat's defining principles are that war is a crucible of heroes, and that he doesn't suffer cowards. It doesn't say that he values fighting fair, and indeed, as a patron of raid warfare, his purview might encourage doing so, or at least incorporate it.

                    Ahlat hates weakness, but I don't think he's concerned with those who pretend to weakness in order to lure in the unwary enemy or have a better standing among witnesses, especially when it incorporates theft. I don't think he'd be above using such methods for himself in the event that he encountered an enemy dangerous enough to warrant it, or make a big show for an audience about how his retaliation is just and honourable.


                    I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                      I'd say it could depend on the opponent and what they've brought to bear. If someone thought to challenge him with an army at his back, then White Reaper for sure, but other enemies might suggest a different approach.
                      The particular one most likely to come up in our game is a heavily armoured resistance-supernal Dawn. So that'd imply anti-armour is the way to go. Snake has Armour-Penetrating Fang Strike, but isn't compatible with spears.


                      My characters:
                      Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
                      Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                        The particular one most likely to come up in our game is a heavily armoured resistance-supernal Dawn. So that'd imply anti-armour is the way to go. Snake has Armour-Penetrating Fang Strike, but isn't compatible with spears.
                        He has hands, doesn’t he?

                        Comment


                        • Yeah, but the damage on them is much lower than his spear anyway.


                          My characters:
                          Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
                          Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

                          Comment


                          • Do Lunars have any Charms with a theme of controlling/manipulating essence? Something like the Essence Lore Charms of the Solars or the Elemental Lore Charms of the Dragonblooded?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                              So, once per scene Ahlat can pay 1wp to get a super-awesome benefit. The default suggestion is 5 free initiative, but other possibilities include learning an entire martial art for a scene.

                              What martial art do you reckon is the best pick for him? I was thinking that White Reaper would be good because he uses a spear, but I'm not sure if it's actually a particularly useful pick for him. 5 free initiative's not to be sniffed at! I mean, I imagine White Reaper's good if he's fighting a battle group, and Golden Janissary if he's fighting a creature of darkness, but more generally when he's fighting powerful opponents (like a high-essence Exalt) is there a particular style you'd rate?

                              Or a particular evocation tree? As that's also potentially available.

                              Against high-Essence Exalted, something like Talion, Gnomon, Burning Branch or Flying Silver Dream would come in extremely handy for him. Zelator against sorcerers, Shipbreaker in naval combat, the list goes on. Most Artifacts would do him good one way or another. As for Martial Arts, you could of course say Righteous Devil or Single Point and invoke Sandact's fury (love ya San), but all the Lunar styles are incredibly powerful if taken fully (Laughing Monster on Ahlat must be a sight to see), White Reaper still has significant advantages against single opponents such as its form Charm enabling double 10s on decisive damage permanently, and if you went "Yeah sure I'll give him perma-Wood Aura along with Wood Dragon Style" then that style lets him use his powerbow as a staff AND has plenty of power in it to combo with his own Charms. In the end, as long as the battle goes about as epically as a battle against a War God would be, about anything goes.

                              Comment


                              • Can you excellency the roll for a shaping ritual? For example, the 'Scarred by Nightmares' ritual that lets you give up Willpower recovery from sleep to roll (Wits + Occult) and gain motes equal to your successes.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X