Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Epitome View Post

The DB Book has this line which suggests she is Fire Aspect
    That does... though "her essence is stone and flame" sounds more like she had two Aspects, Earth and Fire.
    Maybe she had a single Essence 6 charm, like Raksi and Ma-Ha-Suchi, and hers was "get a second aspect".

My characters:
    Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
    Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

When you rule the world, what's the difference?
      Technically, "Scarlet Empress" denotes a singular and unique entity, while "the Scarlet Empress" denotes that there are/have been/will be a number of Empresses, but this is the only Scarlet one.
      Hence "The Jade Emperor" (not the same as the Chinese Emperor) vs "Emperor Qin Shi Huang". Or Queen Elizabeth" vs "the Queen of Britain" (not the same as the Queen of Spain).

But then, these are all translations, so when you are not speaking English, what's the difference?

Just go with whatever sounds good.

My characters:
      Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
      Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

• As I understand it, spirits, demons and gods all had excellencies in 2e, however there doesn't seem to be any reference to them having those powers in 3e. This makes some high essence gods and demons seem surprisingly unimpressive at times, compared to the Exalted. Is this all intended, or have I missed a rule about non-Exalt Excellencies?

Edit: I'm aware that some, like Octavian and Ahlat, have pseudo-excellency powers, but these are generally more limited and can't always be used.
        Last edited by 99wattr89; 05-16-2019, 05:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 99wattr89 View Post
          As I understand it, spirits, demons and gods all had excellencies in 2e, however there doesn't seem to be any reference to them having those powers in 3e. This makes some high essence gods and demons seem surprisingly unimpressive at times, compared to the Exalted. Is this all intended, or have I missed a rule about non-Exalt Excellencies?

Edit: I'm aware that some, like Octavian and Ahlat, have pseudo-excellency powers, but these are generally more limited and can't always be used.

Spirits get excellency-like effects at about Essence 4, and they're intended to be more limited than Exalted excellencies for the most part. Makes up for spirits having humongous mote pools, and they often have really good Charms to make up for not having overtly broad excellencies. I think it'll get talked about in Exigents.

Comment

• There is no generic excellency rule that I'm aware of, so I have to assume the creatures were designed with that in mind.

I don't think there's a Lore-relevant reason why they don't have excellencies, so you could always homebrew an excellency for those creatures if you feel they lack some punch.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alistair View Post

Spirits get excellency-like effects at about Essence 4, and they're intended to be more limited than Exalted excellencies for the most part. Makes up for spirits having humongous mote pools, and they often have really good Charms to make up for not having overtly broad excellencies. I think it'll get talked about in Exigents.
              Originally posted by Epitome View Post
              There is no generic excellency rule that I'm aware of, so I have to assume the creatures were designed with that in mind.

I don't think there's a Lore-relevant reason why they don't have excellencies, so you could always homebrew an excellency for those creatures if you feel they lack some punch.

That makes sense then! It's a little odd to me lore-wise, but nothing that can't be justified at the table if need be.
              It would be an easy house rule to add excellencies for gods or demons, but so far I've found that the system tends to work in practice even when it seems odd on paper, so I'll wait for it to become a problem before I start trying to tinker!

Thank you both for your help!

Comment

• Are there 2.5 or 3E charms or spells that allow you to exempt specific creatures of darkness, or subgroups of them, from the effects of your holy charms?

Comment

• Originally posted by Uknown DarkLord View Post
                  Are there 2.5 or 3E charms or spells that allow you to exempt specific creatures of darkness, or subgroups of them, from the effects of your holy charms?
                  What Charms with enhanced effects for creatures of darkness are there for which that would be a more efficient avenue than "don't attack them"?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                  Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

What Charms with enhanced effects for creatures of darkness are there for which that would be a more efficient avenue than "don't attack them"?
                    I'm thinking more along the lines of Rising Sun Soul that treats the Solar's Anima Banner as natural sunlight. Wondering if there is a way to exempt undead allies from this.

Comment

• I have an idea, but I'm not sure how to write the mechanics. Or if its even a good one.

How do you think about it if someone wrote a rules hack in which things like 'raising the earth's bones', or 'summoning the harvest' or 'water from stone' can be boosted and enhanced, as long as the person is willing to spend extra time and effort on it during casting?

Like... increase the casting time by an order of magnitude, and you can have raising the earth's bones that affects things in terms of hundreds of meters instead of a dozen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
                        I have an idea, but I'm not sure how to write the mechanics. Or if its even a good one.

How do you think about it if someone wrote a rules hack in which things like 'raising the earth's bones', or 'summoning the harvest' or 'water from stone' can be boosted and enhanced, as long as the person is willing to spend extra time and effort on it during casting?

Like... increase the casting time by an order of magnitude, and you can have raising the earth's bones that affects things in terms of hundreds of meters instead of a dozen.
                        I think that would amount to a working.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Does anyone have a QC made up for a Liminal? Or even recommendations on how to stat one out? I'd really like to include one in the game I'm running, but I'm not quite sure how powerful they should be. I plan to dig through the Liminal Charm homebrew stuff on the forums for charm ideas, but what about overall stats? Are they close to a Dragonblooded in power level? Or would they be somewhere between that and a Solar? Ideas on caste abilities and the like would also be welcome.

I'd also love to know how people typically handle their ability to reattach body parts and limbs. Is there typically a penalty associated with this? Or does it just take time to thoroughly sew one's arm back on without it falling off shortly after in combat?

Comment

• Originally posted by Siegward of Catarina View Post
                            Does anyone have a QC made up for a Liminal?
                            There’s one in the Core book.

Comment

• Originally posted by 99wattr89 View Post
                              This makes some high essence gods and demons seem surprisingly unimpressive at times, compared to the Exalted.
                              Keep an eye out for charms that grant double 9s, 8s and 7s. Fakharu, Mara and Sigereth are stronger than they look at first glance.

Originally posted by 99wattr89 View Post
                              That makes sense then! It's a little odd to me lore-wise, but nothing that can't be justified at the table if need be.
                              Using essence to enhance yourself physically is harder when you are yourself a being made of essence?

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                              Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

• Just making sure I read the 3E mass combat rules correctly, if a battle group attacks an individual (say an exalt) they can only target his initiative and then once the character's initiative crashes, then it affects health levels?

Beyond size, magnitude and drill bonuses, are there other bonuses to take into effect when swarming one individual?

Comment

Working...
                                X