Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by armyofwhispers View Post

Anybody know what charm this is?
    I'm assuming they're referring to Shockwave Technique (Ex3 pg 281)

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, No Moon Scholar, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Wraith, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Pioneer Pooch, Scion with Shield of Knowledge, Director

Comment

• Say I have the intimacy "I don't like Dragon-Blooded", what would be an example of upholding it at the Minor, Major and Defining level as is required by some charm effects and conditions?

Comment

• Originally posted by Epitome View Post
        Say I have the intimacy "I don't like Dragon-Blooded", what would be an example of upholding it at the Minor, Major and Defining level as is required by some charm effects and conditions?
        A minor intimacy "I don't like Dragon blooded" would probably be mistrust. Bias. Comes up only when interacting with Dragonblooded. Think passive racism, I guess?
        Major intimacy would probably be more deep mistrust, deep bias. If a dragonblood is indirectly related to what is going on, your actions skew against them. Active bias against them, if you come across them you go out of your to either not help, or if you can, hinder them.
        Defining intimacy would be less of "I don't like dragon blooded" and would be, "Extreme hatred of Dragonblooded". You go out of your way to make things hard on any dragonblood. Rulers or law makers would make laws biased against Dragonblooded, to make them 2nd class citizens. Generals might plan a pogrom against them. It's fundamental to the character, so it's going to be something that just seeing a uninhibited dragonblood walk around might just enrage your character.

Comment

Say I have the intimacy "I don't like Dragon-Blooded", what would be an example of upholding it at the Minor, Major and Defining level as is required by some charm effects and conditions?

My rule of thumb for intimacies is that a Minor intimacy is relevant when the direct context is brought up (in this case, when Dragon-Blooded come up in conversation or appear in person), Major Intimacies are relevant when things with a direct connection come up (so, when a nation ruled by Dragon-Blooded is mentioned, or someone who directly serves, rules, or otherwise associates with a DB appears, or an item made by a DB, and so on), and Defining Intimacies are relevant when second-order connections appear (i.e., anything associated by two removes from the subject of the Intimacy), and really, can be justified in bringing them up in almost any circumstance.

For whether something counts as upholding an intimacy, it has to guide at least one significant action, or be the subject of an important conversation. So, if you had a Minor Intimacy of "I don't like Dragon-Blooded", taking a significant action against a DB (trying to steal their purse, attacking them, making a persuade roll to convince someone else to harm them, etc.) would count as upholding it. If the intimacy was Major, all of the above would still count, but you could also count trying to rob a DB's servant, attacking their commander, persuading someone to harm the Realm or Lookshy, and so on. And at Defining strength, it would be quite easy to justify most significant actions that harmed someone, as long as the target wasn't directly opposing Dragon-Bloods, as upholding the intimacy. You could probably say "I'm attacking this Haslanti merchant, because the Haslanti trade with Dragon-Bloods and have Dragon-Blooded people serving them, and she hasn't said anything about not liking Dragon-Bloods".

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post

My rule of thumb for intimacies is that a Minor intimacy is relevant when the direct context is brought up (in this case, when Dragon-Blooded come up in conversation or appear in person), Major Intimacies are relevant when things with a direct connection come up (so, when a nation ruled by Dragon-Blooded is mentioned, or someone who directly serves, rules, or otherwise associates with a DB appears, or an item made by a DB, and so on), and Defining Intimacies are relevant when second-order connections appear (i.e., anything associated by two removes from the subject of the Intimacy), and really, can be justified in bringing them up in almost any circumstance.

For whether something counts as upholding an intimacy, it has to guide at least one significant action, or be the subject of an important conversation. So, if you had a Minor Intimacy of "I don't like Dragon-Blooded", taking a significant action against a DB (trying to steal their purse, attacking them, making a persuade roll to convince someone else to harm them, etc.) would count as upholding it. If the intimacy was Major, all of the above would still count, but you could also count trying to rob a DB's servant, attacking their commander, persuading someone to harm the Realm or Lookshy, and so on. And at Defining strength, it would be quite easy to justify most significant actions that harmed someone, as long as the target wasn't directly opposing Dragon-Bloods, as upholding the intimacy. You could probably say "I'm attacking this Haslanti merchant, because the Haslanti trade with Dragon-Bloods and have Dragon-Blooded people serving them, and she hasn't said anything about not liking Dragon-Bloods".
            Interesting, that's actually the reverse of how I thought upholding intimacies worked. I thought the higher the level the greater the deed you needed to accomplish i.e. upholding at the defining level would require something like dealing a significant blow against the Realm, while upholding at the minor level could simply be being a jerk to a dragonblooded or something. That certainly puts Charms like Invincible Solar Aegis in a new perspective. Thanks!

Comment

Interesting, that's actually the reverse of how I thought upholding intimacies worked. I thought the higher the level the greater the deed you needed to accomplish i.e. upholding at the defining level would require something like dealing a significant blow against the Realm, while upholding at the minor level could simply be being a jerk to a dragonblooded or something. That certainly puts Charms like Invincible Solar Aegis in a new perspective. Thanks!
              My impression of the charm isn't that you need to take specific defining actions to uphold the intimacy, but that you need to continue to hold it at the defining level - that you can't have the intimacy weaken.
              Which probably will happen if you never do anything with it/will be the mechanical representation of you doing nothing related to it, but is more about staying a person defined by their hatred of dragon blooded then by taking any actions.

Comment

No problem! Note, however, that Invincible Solar Aegis doesn't work with just any Intimacy, it's got to be a Principle. Principles are a bit different than Ties, at least IMO - a Principle should really specify some kind of action or behavior as part of it. "Hates Dragon-Blooded" wouldn't count, I feel. It would have to be something like "the Dragon-Blooded should be overthrown and cast down" or "The Dragon-Blooded must be humbled".

I'd still a pretty broad range of actions to count as upholding a Defining Principle, but the fact that it includes a behavior is at least somewhat self-limiting. You've not only got to establish that the action you're taking is somehow related to the subject of the Principle, you also have to make sure the action will further the goal the Principle suggests. Harking back to the example I used earlier, if your Principle is "The Dragon-Blooded must be humbled", attacking the Haslanti merchant on the grounds that she might be working with or not opposed to Dragon-Bloods wouldn't be enough - you'd have to justify how attacking her would humble the Dragon-Bloods.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post

No problem! Note, however, that Invincible Solar Aegis doesn't work with just any Intimacy, it's got to be a Principle. Principles are a bit different than Ties, at least IMO - a Principle should really specify some kind of action or behavior as part of it. "Hates Dragon-Blooded" wouldn't count, I feel. It would have to be something like "the Dragon-Blooded should be overthrown and cast down" or "The Dragon-Blooded must be humbled".

I'd still a pretty broad range of actions to count as upholding a Defining Principle, but the fact that it includes a behavior is at least somewhat self-limiting. You've not only got to establish that the action you're taking is somehow related to the subject of the Principle, you also have to make sure the action will further the goal the Principle suggests. Harking back to the example I used earlier, if your Principle is "The Dragon-Blooded must be humbled", attacking the Haslanti merchant on the grounds that she might be working with or not opposed to Dragon-Bloods wouldn't be enough - you'd have to justify how attacking her would humble the Dragon-Bloods.
                  yeah, 'hates dragon bloods' is pretty solidly a tie.

Anything that you can write out as "Target of intimacy (emotional context)" is gonna be a tie. Dragon Blood (hatred) definitely counts.

A principal is something like "I will never tell a lie" or "Justice should be applied equally to all" or something along those lines

Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

Comment

• So Uphold is an odd duck as a game term. It’s not in the Intimacy section at all, and it’s only relevant without charms If you’re regaining willpower, in which case it’s not the way in which you’re upholding it, but the hardship, suffering, or sacrifice involved (handy to remember as an ST if you want your players to throw themselves into danger over even small things they’re not that fussed about)

In charm terms it pulls double duty referring to both Aegis, (where it’s referring to your character keeping an intimacy at Defining and pursuing or at least referring to it regularly) and in effects like the hearthstone whose name I can’t remember that gives you free specialty dice (where it refers specifically to rolled actions that are congruent with the Intimacy’s intention)

Those latter effects aren’t really fussed about the level of the Intimacy, unless they use its numeric rating.

Rather, we can look at how the systems chapter defines where and when Intimacies will influence a character’s decision. In which case the higher the intimacy, the more broadly it can be applied.

It’s odd though, I might have a look at the charm effects and try to discern the exact intention.
                    I suspect it varies when the influence system is and isn’t involved.

Comment

• In broad terms, how quickly do the different kinds of Exalts improve their Essence rating and how much variance is there from person to person? For instance, Ragara Benoru is only around a century old but has an Essence rating of 3, the same as Cynis Cogen who is over two centuries, so it clearly isn't a function of time alone. I'm guessing that it depends partially on how active the Exalt is in using their powers and part of me also wants to put it down to some vague sense of spiritual refinement or time spent actively communing with one's own Essence based on how the core rulebook describes Solar progression as going off onto a mountain to meditate for a few months.
                      Last edited by Grelkis; 06-05-2019, 05:08 AM. Reason: Correction to Cynis Cogen's age.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grelkis View Post
                        In broad terms, how quickly do the different kinds of Exalts improve their Essence rating and how much variance is there from person to person? For instance, Ragara Benoru is only around a century old but has an Essence rating of 3, the same as Cynis Cogen who is over two centuries, so it clearly isn't a function of time alone. I'm guessing that it depends partially on how active the Exalt is in using their powers and part of me also wants to put it down to some vague sense of spiritual refinement or time spent actively communing with one's own Essence based on how the core rulebook describes Solar progression as going off onto a mountain to meditate for a few months.
                        I think apart from level of activity, it also depends on the charms you are trying to access. If you can make due with essence 3 charms, you may not feel the need to enlighten your essence further.

Comment

• With the living if you breed with 1st cousins or closer there is a danger of inbreeding.

Does this risk still carry over if a mortal female and the ghost of a close relative get it on? Or does death and being a ghost remove that risk for the offspring being inbred?

Comment

• What’s the mystery filling inside the Emissary Éclairs at Firewander District’s Patil’s Patisserie?

Comment

• Originally posted by Uknown DarkLord View Post
                              Does this risk still carry over if a mortal female and the ghost of a close relative get it on? Or does death and being a ghost remove that risk for the offspring being inbred?
                              There’s no canon answer, but I’d say that the negative aspects of inbreeding would still happen… but may be offset by the nature of the ghostly Essence pervading the resulting offspring (provided that it doesn’t manifest in a particularly unhealthy way, which I imagine is also a possibility).

Comment

• Not a rules question, but don't want to make an entire new thread for it.

Is there a high resolution version of the map of the Blessed Isle anywhere yet?

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, No Moon Scholar, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Wraith, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Pioneer Pooch, Scion with Shield of Knowledge, Director

Comment

Working...
                                X