Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
    So what can someone do with Bureaucracy 5? Its always been weird to me what a skill like that can do, and the comment about bureaucracy excellencies reminded me.
    And let us never forget being really good at making and understanding a contract.

Comment

• What is the expected degree of realism for familiars? Does a mundane familiar have all the limitations of a real world trained animal, or are they closer to animal companions from popular media, who can more easily understand commands and human interactions in general?

Comment

• Originally posted by Epitome View Post
        What is the expected degree of realism for familiars? Does a mundane familiar have all the limitations of a real world trained animal, or are they closer to animal companions from popular media, who can more easily understand commands and human interactions in general?

I'd say closer to the latter, especially since the Familiar merit explicitly says that the owner can "understand the chirps, pawings, barks, and gesticulations of his animal companion", and that the animal "understands [their] commands in turn." I generally run with the assumption that a familiar can communicate simple sentences, with one subject, verb, and object, no adjectives or adverbs, and can only use proper names for beings or objects its very familiar with. So your dog could communicate "a man ran" or "a woman climbed a tree", but wouldn't be able to tell you "Timmy fell down the well" unless it knew Timmy.

Comment

-At the highest level, you can manage and defend an organization which is a big player in the world, or wrap such an organization led by someone else around your little finger.

-You can make a chain of deals which culminates with a closed off nation selling their rarest exotic goods to you in a historic first for their nation.

-You can organize the emergency evacuation of an entire city with such efficiency and thoroughness that no one gets left behind.

-You always know when it is safe to bribe your way out of trouble and never pay more than you need to.

-You can uncover industrial sabotage and subterfuge through sheer accounting prowess.

And other similar feats.
          Cool. Can I post this on a new thread?

Comment

What is the expected degree of realism for familiars? Does a mundane familiar have all the limitations of a real world trained animal, or are they closer to animal companions from popular media, who can more easily understand commands and human interactions in general?
            Consider if you will the ability of a dog or horse to follow their owners commands. Horses are actually a really good example of an animal that can understand human body language better than a lot of humans can. A good example of this was 'Clever Hans' who could count. Or so people thought. They figured out that he could actually just read a crowd and key off of the reactions to what he was pointing at. He was so good at this that he fooled his owner into thinking that he (the horse) was actually doing math. Horses are also well known to react to their rider/handler's emotional state. In some cases mirroring a bad mood, in others, correctly identifying a rider who wasn't in control of a situation or was scared of the horse as a target to be bullied.

I'd treat most animal familiars as having a similar level of understanding of their owner.

Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

Comment

Cool. Can I post this on a new thread?
              Sure, no problem.

Comment

• I'll try posting here before making a specific thread, but for Exalted 2.5 and Anathema 5.1.3, what are the requirements for 'Pasiap's Humility', 'Tiger and Bear Awareness', and 'Walker among Irises Perception' beyond the martial arts and essence pre-reqs?

I have the necessary MA and Essence selected. I've tried adding a number of terrestrial art styles, but the program won't let me select any of those 3 charms. Is there a background I'm missing?

Comment

• Originally posted by Uknown DarkLord View Post
                  I'll try posting here before making a specific thread, but for Exalted 2.5 and Anathema 5.1.3, what are the requirements for 'Pasiap's Humility', 'Tiger and Bear Awareness', and 'Walker among Irises Perception' beyond the martial arts and essence pre-reqs?

I have the necessary MA and Essence selected. I've tried adding a number of terrestrial art styles, but the program won't let me select any of those 3 charms. Is there a background I'm missing?

Found the answer. Downloaded a jar decompiler and found out that the initiation charms are marked as celestial charms. Which means Anathema won't let you take the initiation charms to get celestial MA because the initiation charms are marked as Celestial themselves.

Comment

• From exalted 2.5, does the thaumaturgy rituals alarm ward against ghost detect the ghost if it is possessing a living being when it crosses the ward line?

Comment

• Originally posted by Uknown DarkLord View Post
                      From exalted 2.5, does the thaumaturgy rituals alarm ward against ghost detect the ghost if it is possessing a living being when it crosses the ward line?
                      The ritual does say magical methods (including Charms) to avoid detection must exceed the ward's threshold, while sorcery or necromancy will automatically succeed at this.

On the other hand, if you are using the Roll of Glorious Divinity II, then reading through the Stringless Puppeteer Arts charm tree indicates that ghost using Mortal Shadow Technique, and subsequent charms, to possess bodies cannot be detected except by Charms such as Spirit Catching Eye Technique. That would possibly include Charms that allow incorporeal entities to be perceived.

So...
                      Last edited by Greyman; 07-09-2019, 08:05 PM.

Comment

• I've been in a thought experiment for some time, and I'm kinda... stumped.

Quote from a dev:

Not really. If you kill an Melee 5 Solar, you only have to do it once. Then you're done. Keeping a Larceny 5 Solar under control indefinitely is problematic -- you have to keep doing it forever, and the nature of the Solars is to excel beyond all limits. If you do it through mind control he's going to start developing Integrity Charms that make him immune to mind control. If you do it through imprisonment he's going to eventually develop a custom Charm based on Door-Evading Technique that lets him walk through walls. The Salinan Working ensures he can always learn sorcery no matter how you limit his access to information, and from there, memories of his previous lives and also the Salinan Working again ensure he can learn spells. Keeping a Solar subservient indefinitely is impossible, unless you succeed somehow in making him genuinely want to be subservient, and even then you're eventually going to get a sort of "Ruler as figurehead while the loyal general makes all the decisions because that's what's genuinely best for ruler in the general's opinion" thing.

And another:

If the brick-stupid guy needs to get smart to escape your imprisonment,
                        he will get smart. Solars just keep getting better and better and better and better and better, and there's no upper boundary. In the First Age, they reached the point where they looked around them and said "What need have we for men and gods?" and realized the answer was "None" and everybody else said "Oh shit" and ganked them before they could start disassembling the world.

So evidently, you can simply train yourself in any attributes or abilities you want. Let's say that you're idiotic dawn caste, Intelligence 1. You find yourself in a trap/ find a puzzle box. You can't use your abilities to smash through, because it'll kill your friends/ destroy your loot. You have resistance and athletics charms, so now you can survive on nothing more than water and some rations you got in your bag.

You have two options:

1. Decipher the trap
                        2. Walk through the door/ wall

So how would you stunt the self-learning of larceny, or the self-training of the intelligence attribute? You're a scholar solar, put in manacles and left to rot in a dark cellar. How are you going to learn the larceny charms to bypass your bonds and sneak out the door past the guards?

Comment

So how would you stunt the self-learning of larceny, or the self-training of the intelligence attribute? You're a scholar solar, put in manacles and left to rot in a dark cellar. How are you going to learn the larceny charms to bypass your bonds and sneak out the door past the guards?
                          Start with the hay needle or actual small piece of metal and slowly work it around the lock, Skyrim style. Get to know the inner workings of the lock, all the while reading the puzzle over and over. I'd also do some extreme naval gazing in attempt to break into memories of the past lives to see how they did it, or look at their logic.

In the end, it is going to take a while. If you have the xp already on hand available to spend, then great, it's a matter of days to weeks. If you don't, well I guess you'll be in the prison for a couple of years before you get out unless your GM lets you go into xp debt.

Comment

• Can you cite those quotes, Accelerator?

It doesn’t feel like something Vance or Minton would say, and pretty much the opposite of Stephen Lea Sheppard’s “Solars are not AMAZO” position.

Comment

• That sounds like something I might have said back during early 2nd edition. I don't think that way anymore, though.

(In fact I'm pretty sure taking that thought process to its logical conclusion and really considering the implications is what convinced me the opposite must be true.)
                              Last edited by Stephen Lea Sheppard; 07-10-2019, 08:48 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen Lea Sheppard View Post
                                That sounds like something I might have said back during early 2nd edition. I don't think that way anymore, though.

(In fact I'm pretty sure taking that thought process to its logical conclusion and really considering the implications is what convinced me the opposite must be true.)
                                Hi dude.

It's from rpg.net. More noobery. You guys were talking about permanently imprisoning solar, and you said that imprisoning a solar was a very difficult thing to do, since any Exalted natural creates charms to adapt to any situation they find themselves in. Under mind control, integrity charms. Under imprisonment, larceny.

Comment

Working...
                                X