Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chausse View Post
    Another question (sorry to interrupt yours Uknown DarkLord I just don't know the answer to your question), how do you describe any character breaking Battle groups by 1-2 level of Size, especially when they start at size 5 (so thousands of fighters), when the character only uses excellencies (the classical good roll on Join Battle follow by a decisive on the battle group). I'm having problems describing when they use no charms other than excellencies (or only few charms) and give it sense in context : Either they did something totally crazy to make surrender or flee these 800 people in few seconds, but then it doesn't look like it makes sense in the context of "I'm only doing human possible stuff with my excellencies", or it's plain surnatural and then I'm having trouble handling it, like a player describing how he made a huge shockwave knocking all the army down, and I like it and sometimes allow it, but ... well he doesn't have a Charm that come any close to that.
    Don't underestimate the simple human power of herd mentality. (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rout)

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
      (most likely) just remaining unknown at your table because it's not relevant to what's going on in your actual play.
      Until the Zenith player has his character talk about merit based reincarnation through his lethe touch to a prisoner he's trying cajole information from. And then suddenly you're asking yourself if you missed something in the books and have to decide what the npc believes about the cycle of reincarnation.

Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post

it's a pretty major part of Autochthonian culture, and I don't see that getting dumped. And if the Autochthonians can do it, I don't see why it can't be done in Creation.
      Yeah, but that is how they determine how heroic a soul is for exalting. There is a specific reason there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
        Now, that's all based on 2e sources. I don't know of anything that 3e has said yet on the topic. That said, I'd guess that some degree of soul-manipulation via reincarnation is still possible - it's a pretty major part of Autochthonian culture, and I don't see that getting dumped. And if the Autochthonians can do it, I don't see why it can't be done in Creation. But I don't think it's a particularly regular thing. And I doubt the line will bother bringing back the bit about the 1st Age law - it's extremely Dreams of the First Age in flavor, which I believe the line is going away from in a big way.
        I could see it not working in Creation in part due to well, the entire process in Creation could be automated enough to not need human interference or have enough going on to impede it. Meanwhnile, Autochthonia just could be an environment where souls are just more readily trackable or something due to their interaction with Autochthon's core. When you're in a steampunk generation ship, things get weird.

And stuff.
        My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

• Yeah. Frankly speaking, being big and supernatural is already quite enough to make people afraid of you. Morale and cohesion was far more important during ancient battles than now, where a general feeling of fear and chaos and a loss of formation was enough to turn battles and break armies.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
            Beware if fighting monsters and all that jazz.
            This isn't the horror of being a monster. It's the horror of being Dr Manhattan. No, not even that; of being Saitama.

I dread few things as much as I dread the notion of a life dreary, repetitive, confined, without challenge or engagement or dynamism. The notion that the latter day First Age consisted of Solars who had gotten to that point, filled with so much ennui and emptiness from having conquered every frontier and inured themselves against all challenge that the only prospect for the slightest stimulation is the pursuit of ever more grandiose and abstract and esoteric pursuits, that cannot help but dismiss humanity and the world as something small and passe, an endeavour presented as potentially futile if it doesn't destroy the world first… my soul recoils screaming from it. It is loathsome to me.

Dear God, it's like trying to make something thematic out of the solved Second Edition metagame of invincible immortals who can only experience a thrill from playing rocket tag with one another.

Making it into the backstory is to introduce the premise that it's the future awaiting those Exalted who overcome all contests.

They say life's too short, but they're wrong; it's so loooooooooooooooooooooong!!!!

Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen
            I'd
            guess
            that some degree of soul-manipulation via reincarnation is still possible - it's a pretty major part of Autochthonian culture, and I don't see that getting dumped.

Autochthonia doesn't actually affect souls, though; they leave a watermark on your soul that can be observed in your next life, and then assign that life to a caste deemed appropriate from birth (typically the same one as its prior life).

Are you suited for the Theomarchy because it's what your soul has been doing for several incarnations back, or because it was what you were educated and conditioned towards from the beginning of your life? Are you even really suited for the Theomarchy? I don't believe we're ever led to assume that Autochthonia has a total absence of people who aren't ultimately very good at their state assigned job. Nor do they seem particularly inclined to engage in experimental pursuit of the matter for its own sake; that the caste system works is taken as a matter of faith.

Originally posted by Eric Minton
            (most likely) just remaining unknown at your table because it's not relevant to what's going on in your actual play.

Of course, ambiguities can have thematic value in their own right, as a thing to experience directly rather than a puzzle to be solved or premise to be answered.

Whether or not the top falls over might not be as important as what the lingering question says about the uncertainties of our experience of reality and whether or not truth is a desirable thing.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
            Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
            https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Originally posted by Uknown DarkLord View Post

Yeah, but that is how they determine how heroic a soul is for exalting. There is a specific reason there.
              Sure, I don't think exactly the same system, or even one very much like it, would be in place in Creation. However, it demonstrates the possibility of "marking" souls in some way, and I don't think souls are so intangible that various forces couldn't then affect them in Creation. Like, the god of the cycle of reincarnation can probably influence how someone comes back, they just don't bother to do so very often.

Comment

• I generally assume hwatever the hell the process is where a soul is carreid off after it's put into Lethe is generally just black-boxed. I wouldn't be surprised if the only things that know much about it is the god who manages it. If there even is one. For all we know it's like gravity in Creation. It's a force, and just not something folks think is something that needs a god, either because it's too basic or it seems to just do its thing and you plan around it, not the other way around.

And stuff.
                My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

• I don't think there are any canon sources for any edition that explicitly say the Immaculate model of reincarnation is wrong.

There is that Forest Witch thing that guarentees you will be a DB in your next life, so the reincarnation gig is gameable. But I don't think Eric's comment of "nobody knows" is a 3E thing.

Unless anyone can point me at a book I've overlooked.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                    This isn't the horror of being a monster. It's the horror of being Dr Manhattan. No, not even that; of being Saitama.

I dread few things as much as I dread the notion of a life dreary, repetitive, confined, without challenge or engagement or dynamism. The notion that the latter day First Age consisted of Solars who had gotten to that point, filled with so much ennui and emptiness from having conquered every frontier and inured themselves against all challenge that the only prospect for the slightest stimulation is the pursuit of ever more grandiose and abstract and esoteric pursuits, that cannot help but dismiss humanity and the world as something small and passe, an endeavour presented as potentially futile if it doesn't destroy the world first… my soul recoils screaming from it. It is loathsome to me.

Dear God, it's like trying to make something thematic out of the solved Second Edition metagame of invincible immortals who can only experience a thrill from playing rocket tag with one another.

Making it into the backstory is to introduce the premise that it's the future awaiting those Exalted who overcome all contests.

They say life's too short, but they're wrong; it's so loooooooooooooooooooooong!!!!
                    I agree with your analysis but not you're conclusion.

You are right. I think this is desirable.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
                      I don't think there are any canon sources for any edition that explicitly say the Immaculate model of reincarnation is wrong.

There is that Forest Witch thing that guarentees you will be a DB in your next life, so the reincarnation gig is gameable. But I don't think Eric's comment of "nobody knows" is a 3E thing.

Unless anyone can point me at a book I've overlooked.
                      Ghandarva uses an N/A artifact to pull that trick, and it's really unlike normal reincarnation.

Eric's comment is right there in the Immaculate Order chapter. Perhaps he wrote it.

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
                      I agree with your analysis but not you're conclusion.

You are right. I think this is desirable.
                      I don't know what you're referring to, because you aren't specifying anything.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• My Zenith and my friend's Lunar have each lost their left arm. Is there a listed penalty for grappling?

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                          My Zenith and my friend's Lunar have each lost their left arm. Is there a listed penalty for grappling?
                          The Amputee Flaw on page 168.

Comment

• Ah, cheers!

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

• Question about 2.5 spell Sorcerer's Irresistible Puppetry, where the sorcerer can possess someone.

Countermagic only works when used against the gem and the person who is actively being possessed, right? If the gem is not in use to possess the target, then countermagic used on the creature the spell was cast on does not work, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

The Amputee Flaw on page 168.
                                Does grappling manoeuvre specifically require two arms to perform though ? What about snakes who have no limbs or clinching someone by sitting on them or classic pinning someone to a wall with one arm by their throat etc?
                                Last edited by Beast of Bitter Oblivion; 07-15-2019, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X