Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jefepato View Post
    Would it be reasonable for a sorcerer to develop a series of summoning spells, equivalent to the Demon of the (whichever) Circle or Summon Elemental, that apply to creatures of the Wyld? Given that there are Wyld-themed shaping rituals in the corebook, it seems kind of plausible to have more Wyld-themed sorcery tricks.

So for example, a Terrestrial Circle spell might call up a buck-ogre or a silverwight, and a Celestial spell could get you a Fair Folk cataphract or something. (I imagine a Solar spell could get you some kind of scary-ass Wyld behemoth.) The sorcerer's roll against the creature's Resolve would presumably represent working out some kind of pact and framing it appropriately to keep your minion on-task.

That said, I don't know what precise limits you'd set on each spell. The Fair Folk cataphract in the corebook is only Essence 2, but I'd say they're definitely too powerful for a first-circle spell to summon. Of course, the issue here is that unlike elementals and demons, the Wyld critters in the books weren't meant as sorcerer tools when they were written, so they aren't balanced for that purpose. You'd probably need to work with the ST to put together a custom list of appropriate creatures for each circle.

Of course, a sorcerer walking into town somewhere with a raksha cataphract at his side is probably not going to get a friendly welcome, but that's a separate issue entirely...
    Given what sorcerers can already summon, I doubt balance would be an issue. The real question is the Lore implications. There are no pacts that bind them like Demons, so you'd have to create them out of thin air like Elementals. But Elementals can be created because you have raw materials available (Creation itself), so a Fair-Folk shaping spell would probably require a Wyld pocket to shape them from.

Of course you also have to keep in mind that you'll have to feed your pets souls to keep them alive, but if you're looking to summon Fair Folk maybe your character is already past all those silly ethical conundrums.

Comment

Would it be reasonable for a sorcerer to develop a series of summoning spells, equivalent to the Demon of the (whichever) Circle or Summon Elemental, that apply to creatures of the Wyld? Given that there are Wyld-themed shaping rituals in the corebook, it seems kind of plausible to have more Wyld-themed sorcery tricks.
      Wellll I personally wouldn't. The flavour of it feels a bit off; the basic image of sorcery to summon demons and elementals is a bit firmer in the background material to Exalted than for fae beings, and the internal logic of the game makes them a bit external to Creation's powers.

The closest that I would get is an initiation that includes a Merit that allows one to call upon certain Fair Folk under the right conditions (knowing their name, having pre-arranged permission to do so), but not as summoning them as a servant so much as inviting them to your presence. It would probably also come with a lesser Merit to command lesser creatures.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
      Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Would it be reasonable for a sorcerer to develop a series of summoning spells, equivalent to the Demon of the (whichever) Circle or Summon Elemental, that apply to creatures of the Wyld?
        I think it would be possible to research such spells, but the trick is that the summoning spells that already exist depend on the Exalted, in the past, having already made deals and bargains with various entities to gain the authority to summon things. Demons are because of the Primordial's surrender oaths, and I think elemental summoning is from the Exalted's general right of command over Creation (of which elementals are part). But you can't really make that kind of deal or impose that on the Wyld as a whole. There's no overreaching sentience that governs all the beings of the Wyld, and even if such a being existed, the Wyld's nature means that individual creatures spawned from it are independent. The closest you can get would be a potent raksha's lesser minions, and even those can probably develop enough personality to become individuals, at which point they'd be free of bindings you placed on their creator. So, to make a spell like this work, you'd need to find an individual raksha or other Wyld creature, and convince it to make the sort of pact that the various summoning spells involve. But if the creature that made the pact ever died, or even underwent sufficiently-radical transformation, the spell would become useless.

Comment

• These are fair points. I suppose if one really wants to play a Wyld-themed sorcerer, it probably makes more sense to use sorcerous workings for his minions -- just go out into the Wyld and manually weave that chaos into the sidekick(s) you want.

...Would spending all that time in the Wyld count as a Means toward the relevant working?

Comment

These are fair points. I suppose if one really wants to play a Wyld-themed sorcerer, it probably makes more sense to use sorcerous workings for his minions -- just go out into the Wyld and manually weave that chaos into the sidekick(s) you want.
            Or the other way around; the ruling sorcerers of Ysyr are rumoured to have enslaved some Fair Folk with their arts.

I can't recall the working rules offhand, but I feel as though some measure of being embedded in the Wyld should assist in a working to enslave or transform one of its inhabitants.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
            Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
            https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Originally posted by Orukan View Post
              I noticed some attack charms and antagonists powers have a variation of the phrase "This attack can only be parried or dodged using magical means".

My main question is, What is defined as a magical mean?
              It is magic!

Okay. "Magic" is not explicitly defined as a game term, but essentially means "supernatural". Basically any not-mundane effect is considered magic, such as: sorcery, charms, evocations, magical abilities, and so forth.
              Originally posted by Orukan View Post
              Are charms good enough since most would consider them magic? If so, would that include excellencies as they are also charms? Would it need to be sorcerous spells/working such as Virtuous guardian flame? Would a simple stunt be enough?
              Yes, yes, yes, and no.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
                I've been massively out of the loop, so how would one go about, nowadays, to find a play by post Exalted game in the vast expanses of the internet? If one were to want to do such a thing.
                I'd be very interested in joining a PBP game if you find yourself needing another player. I have several character ideas dafted.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

• How did you notice players cheating at your table, and how did you react to that ?

Yesterday one of the players at my table (Solar game) started with 20 initiative, and subsequently succeeded instantly every of his Shape Sorcery of Obsidian butterflies, with 20 successes on attack roll, and 18 successes on the damage roll, every single turn for 3 or 4 turns straigth. If it was the first time he did this, I wouldn't bother, but it's actually always like that for all the fights and social influence scenes. (He did the same when I was ST, he still does now that I'm a player)

I'm actually not asking "Please help me with it", but I am genuinely interested in how did you happen to notice cheating, what did you think about it and how did you deal with it ?

Comment

• Are you literally at a table? Can people see his rolls?

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

• Yeah literally at a table but we are a bit too far from one another to not make it look like literally "We want to check your rolls"

Comment

• Originally posted by Chausse View Post
                        Yeah literally at a table but we are a bit too far from one another to not make it look like literally "We want to check your rolls"
                        Oh that's easy then:

"Yeah, that's bulls***. Bring your dice over here where we can see them and we're all going to watch you roll until you stop cheating like a whiny little baby."

They'll probably be indignant, walk out and never want to play with you again. Which is the perfect outcome in my book.

We all cheat a little. That's normal. Cheating on every roll, blatantly in front of everyone is just disrespectful.

Fudging a rule, faking a dice roll or conveniently forgetting a key detail is human nature: if it serves the plot or stops a PC from dying and isn't too obvious or too frequent, then who cares? It's just a game. Golden/Orichalcum Rule. But this is a game with rules. With other players who want things to be (if not fair then) fun. It's a dice game with an element of chance. Cheating the table over and over again on every roll for no reason is disrespecting the other players: it's arrogant and insulting. And the fact this isn't the first time means you're not going to resolve it with a quiet conversation. This person needs calling out: if they're a good friend (and they are definitely not), they'll admit they were cheating and stop; if they're a whiny cheating cry-baby (and they certainly are) then they'll act hurt, pretend to be the victim, appeal to the other players making everyone uncomfortable before finally storming out.
                        Last edited by JohnDoe244; 09-01-2019, 09:38 AM.

Comment

• There's probably two solutions, which depend on the player in question. Either get everyone to roll closer to the middle in a dice tray or something (so everyone is being checked), or have someone go and talk to the player alone and tell them "we all know you're cheating, we've just been too polite to say anything, for f*ck's sake stop".

Ages ago we had a player who used to lie about his results in DnD (I'd been told people suspected, but wasn't sure, and then I literally saw him roll a 15 and claim he got a critical hit, as he was sitting next to me), and I think in the end someone had a word with him and he stopped. But I don't know how long it lasted.

I run/play games over Skype, so I can't really see what people are rolling. I just have to trust that my players are mature enough not to do it. We sometimes joke that one player always seems to roll really well, but actually he doesn't always.

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
                            Oh that's easy then:

"Yeah, that's bulls***. Bring your dice over here where we can see them and we're all going to watch you roll until you stop cheating like a whiny little baby."

They'll probably be indignant, walk out and never want to play with you again. Which is the perfect outcome in my book.
                            Possibly. I don't know the people involved, that may not be feasible for some reason or other. Maybe they've been friends for years and don't want to blow it up over this one thing. Maybe the game is at the cheaters' house. Maybe he has many other good qualities.

But probably... yeah. If he's cheating, and he walks out when accused, that's their own problem and the others can just continue happily. This isn't something he's done once after all, it sounds like he's done it loads of times.

Chausse, as you're no longer ST, have you talked to the current ST about it?

We all cheat a little. That's normal.
                            I don't.

Well... except occasionally as ST to end a fight quickly if it's dragged on too long but the PCs are obviously going to win eventually, I admit.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post

Chausse, as you're no longer ST, have you talked to the current ST about it?
                              Yeah we both know, I'm a bit more convinced than him, but mostly we don't really care. As I said I'm not looking for solutions, I just like talking to people on this forum and since I never had the opportunity to discuss this topic with anyone other than my close Roleplayer friends (which is a rather narrow category), I would like to hear the thoughts on this topic from other people.

Fudging a rule, faking a dice roll or conveniently forgetting a key detail is human nature: if it serves the plot or stops a PC from dying and isn't too obvious or too frequent, then who cares? It's just a game. Golden/Orichalcum Rule. But this is a game with rules. With other players who want things to be (if not fair then) fun. It's a dice game with an element of chance. Cheating the table over and over again on every roll for no reason is disrespecting the other players: it's arrogant and insulting.
                              Yeah I have no problem with some small cheatings here and there. It's sometimes frustrating but I'm ok with it. It's really the repetition that becomes boring, I guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                                I don't.

Well... except occasionally as ST to end a fight quickly if it's dragged on too long but the PCs are obviously going to win eventually, I admit.
                                See. Cheating is so normal, so well established, so inescapably universal that people don't even consider it cheating.

People think cheating is a "bad thing". In actuality, it's just applying the Golden Rule for basically every RPG system ever.

Cheating is not worth losing a friend over.

If someone is cheating, wildly and improbably, roll after roll in an established habit, at your table literally right in front of you then they don't respect you and there's no friendship to lose. They're an emotional vampire getting off (not on the power fantasy of their character kicking-ass but) on how gullible/spineless you are as they cheat right in front of you. Have some self respect and stand up for yourself. You don't need to be mean about it. You don't need to banish them from the game. You don't need to be unfriendly. Just be assertive and call it for what it is: a steaming pile of bulls***.
                                Last edited by JohnDoe244; 09-01-2019, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X