Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh hey I have totally another unrelated question :

Could anyone do a little resume of how on earth mounted fighting is supposed to work ? I think I mostly have it, but I still don't get how you are supposed to handle many things between the mount and the mounted. For example, suppose the fey warlord on its behemoth or whatever. If they don't have a Charm equivalent to Seasoned Beast-Rider’s Approach, who am I supposed to use for initiative ? If the Survival fighting along its damn Tyrant Lizard who both have a different initiative track after the fight has started and suddenly decide to ride it, what happens ? When using Unmount gambit, who do you aim, the mount or the rider ? I know this last one if the mount is trivial, but what happens when both have an initiative trask, for example in the case of a mounted behemoth ? Am I suppoded to say the Behemoth becomes crazy and goes rogue ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chausse View Post
      Oh hey I have totally another unrelated question :

Could anyone do a little resume of how on earth mounted fighting is supposed to work ? I think I mostly have it, but I still don't get how you are supposed to handle many things between the mount and the mounted. For example, suppose the fey warlord on its behemoth or whatever. If they don't have a Charm equivalent to Seasoned Beast-Rider’s Approach, who am I supposed to use for initiative ?
      Anyone who is significant to the fight. I'd roll them both in.

If the Survival fighting along its damn Tyrant Lizard who both have a different initiative track after the fight has started and suddenly decide to ride it, what happens ?
      They keep their own tracks unless one of them is no longer dramatically significant.

When using Unmount gambit, who do you aim, the mount or the rider ?
      I'd say it's always the rider. But if you wanted a custom gambit to target the mount, I think that's fine.
      I know this last one if the mount is trivial, but what happens when both have an initiative trask, for example in the case of a mounted behemoth ? Am I suppoded to say the Behemoth becomes crazy and goes rogue ?
      Up to you. I'd probably have it fight on as normal in most cases.
      Last edited by JohnDoe244; 09-01-2019, 05:12 PM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
        Anyone who is significant to the fight. I'd roll them both in.

They keep their own tracks unless one of them is no longer dramatically significant.

I'd say it's always the rider. But if you wanted a custom gambit to target the mount, I think that's fine.
        Up to you. I'd probably have it fight on as normal in most cases.
        So your suggestion is that if the mount is powerful enough, the Solar does not need Seasoned Beast-Rider’s Approach to have both use initiative, because both are significant ?

Comment

So your suggestion is that if the mount is powerful enough, the Solar does not need Seasoned Beast-Rider’s Approach to have both use initiative, because both are significant ?
          That’s not just John’s suggestion, I think that’s the rules.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post

That’s not just John’s suggestion, I think that’s the rules.
            The rules are at ST discretion. My discretion would be if the mount is significant to the narrative. Page 203.

"Mounts generally don’t have their own Initiative track, though the Storyteller may waive this if it seems appropriate (such as a Fair Folk noble entering battle on the back of a behemoth more dangerous than its rider)."

Whether you should waive this for a PC's mount is going to be a judgement call. In a Circle of five 5/5/1 Solars, a behemoth is probably still significant but a Tyrant Lizard might not be. That same Tyrant Lizard mount might be VERY significant in a Circle of two where the Dawn has Dex 3 Melee 2 -- perhaps TOO significant to justify rolling it in without a Charm (let the Solar give up their turn to control the mount).

If you had a hobgoblin riding a behemoth, I'd probably just roll the mount in because the rider isn't going to actually achieve anything in the scene -- it's trivial window dressing.

Seasoned Beast-Rider’s Approach removes the debate: roll both the rider and mount in on seperate Initative tracks.

As NPCs have as many motes, as much Willpower and whatever Charms the ST says they have, I don't sweat the minutia over how exactly their mount gets an Initative track -- if tracking their mount seperately tells a good story I go for it.

As a player, I assume the mount will use my track and my turn unless I have Charms that say otherwise. But if I already rolled my Familiar into combat using a Charm, I'd expect them to stay in combat if I mount them -- unless they're no longer relevant. If I've killed all the Dynasts but now have to run away from Hungry Ghosts (which my Tyrant Lizard can't hurt) then the Tyrant Lizard is no longer important to the narrative for anything but its +2 Speed Bonus and it becomes appropriate for it to just use my track.
            Last edited by JohnDoe244; 09-02-2019, 04:18 AM.

Comment

• The Antithesis of Daana'd is called the “Unmanly Babbler," who whines for others to fix their problems without realizing that they are actually the cause of their own problems.

As I understand it, in the Scarlet Realm, men are stereotyped as being reckless, impulsive, hotheaded, and generally unfit for serious leadership roles (per The Realm p. 33).

So I'm not really sure why the Babbler is "unmanly," or for that matter why "unmanly" would be considered a negative in the first place.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jefepato View Post
                The Antithesis of Daana'd is called the “Unmanly Babbler," who whines for others to fix their problems without realizing that they are actually the cause of their own problems.

As I understand it, in the Scarlet Realm, men are stereotyped as being reckless, impulsive, hotheaded, and generally unfit for serious leadership roles (per The Realm p. 33).

So I'm not really sure why the Babbler is "unmanly," or for that matter why "unmanly" would be considered a negative in the first place.

In 3e, it has been changed to "The Unworthy Babbler" as per The Realm. The others being the Illiberal Churl, the Sickly Whore, the Inconsiderate Horseman, and the Ostentatious Peasant.

Comment

• I believe men are still somehow sterotyped as stoic? Making it the Babbling Babbler if you wanted to stick with the old, gendered term.

Comment

I believe men are still somehow sterotyped as stoic? Making it the Babbling Babbler if you wanted to stick with the old, gendered term.

Men are stereotyped as reckless and impulsive, women are the ones stereotyped as level-headed and stoic.

Comment

• But either way, they changed it in the deeb books.

Comment

The rules are at ST discretion. My discretion would be if the mount is significant to the narrative. Page 203.

"Mounts generally don’t have their own Initiative track, though the Storyteller may waive this if it seems appropriate (such as a Fair Folk noble entering battle on the back of a behemoth more dangerous than its rider)."

Whether you should waive this for a PC's mount is going to be a judgement call. In a Circle of five 5/5/1 Solars, a behemoth is probably still significant but a Tyrant Lizard might not be. That same Tyrant Lizard mount might be VERY significant in a Circle of two where the Dawn has Dex 3 Melee 2 -- perhaps TOO significant to justify rolling it in without a Charm (let the Solar give up their turn to control the mount).

If you had a hobgoblin riding a behemoth, I'd probably just roll the mount in because the rider isn't going to actually achieve anything in the scene -- it's trivial window dressing.

Seasoned Beast-Rider’s Approach removes the debate: roll both the rider and mount in on seperate Initative tracks.

As NPCs have as many motes, as much Willpower and whatever Charms the ST says they have, I don't sweat the minutia over how exactly their mount gets an Initative track -- if tracking their mount seperately tells a good story I go for it.

As a player, I assume the mount will use my track and my turn unless I have Charms that say otherwise. But if I already rolled my Familiar into combat using a Charm, I'd expect them to stay in combat if I mount them -- unless they're no longer relevant. If I've killed all the Dynasts but now have to run away from Hungry Ghosts (which my Tyrant Lizard can't hurt) then the Tyrant Lizard is no longer important to the narrative for anything but its +2 Speed Bonus and it becomes appropriate for it to just use my track.
                        My problem is the following : If the mount is significant, then you don't need a Charm to roll her initiative. If the mount is insignificant, what's the point of paying a Charm to make an insignificant character play ? Reading this Charm for the first time I thought its purpose was to regulate the way characters fighting on mounts grew in power level. But looking back now it looks more like "The mount can now move on its turn and not consume the Solar movement". It's fine by me, I just didn't realize it was supposed to work this way because I basically never had anyone mounting something until now.

Comment

My problem is the following : If the mount is significant, then you don't need a Charm to roll her initiative. If the mount is insignificant, what's the point of paying a Charm to make an insignificant character play ? Reading this Charm for the first time I thought its purpose was to regulate the way characters fighting on mounts grew in power level. But looking back now it looks more like "The mount can now move on its turn and not consume the Solar movement". It's fine by me, I just didn't realize it was supposed to work this way because I basically never had anyone mounting something until now.
                          I think the charm does a few things, for one it sets the mounts initiative equal to your own, so if you blowout your Join Battle your mount ALSO gets an awesome Join Battle. So that in addition to the movement thing justify the cost. It is also "beast-rider" approach, so it's probably only meant for use with combat capable mounts anyway. The other branches of the charm tree do not interact with your mounts initiative track or treat your mount as a separate combat character or anything like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post

It is also "beast-rider" approach, so it's probably only meant for use with combat capable mounts anyway
                            Yeah but if the mount is combat capable it is not supposed to need a Charm to be considered in combat because it is significant. But I think I'm concentrating too much on a specific point of the mechanic, your point makes sense overall and I'm going to consider adapt my ST to consider them from now on

Comment

• Originally posted by Seisho View Post
                              What are possibilities for Exalted and Spirits to identify other Exalted and Spirits?
                              Lorewise and rules of possible - thx in advance!

All encompassing sorcerer's sight. Any artifact that grants essence sight. Those would help you see essence flows. Spirit Detecting Glance lets you see immaterial beings.

Comment

I had some problem with this at first, until I realized that the real benefit of the charm is allowing you to use your Join Battle for both you and the mount. This allows you to use charms to enhance your Join Battle and get the benefit for the mount as well. It also allows you to command your mount to move when you act, potentially allowing the mount to move out of its own initiative turn. Once you realize this it seems like less of a speed bump charm.
                                Last edited by ikeulhu; 09-03-2019, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X