No announcement yet.

Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does Saga Beast Virtue do (Core p413)?

What's a mutation?

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

• I believe it's most supernatural merits that could work as a mutation ? I would accept Ambidextry with you having prehensile foots as a mutation even if it's not supernatural merit though. But wings, natural armor, all these things qualify I guess

Comment

• Yeah, I guess anything that would be viable for a lunar's hybrid form?

Comment

• Ok the charm says you get (Higher of Essence or 3).

Is that dots or number of merits?
          Last edited by JohnDoe244; 09-04-2019, 04:52 AM. Reason: Higher not lower

Comment

• To me it's number of mutations/merits. I found this annoying so I proposed dots of merits instead, like 4*(lower of Essence or 3) dots of mutations, because there are so many cool mutations but that are at 1 or 2 dots players usually prefer to tke flight at 5 or armor at 5 that does have the same cost which is boring. But it doesn't change much since they can change the mutations quite easily, so I guess my homebrew isn't really useful

Comment

• [2.5] What does Sidereal essence look like?

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
                What's a mutation?
                Lunars: Fangs at the Gate will clarify: "Mutations are Innate or Purchased Merits (Exalted, p. 158), mundane or supernatural, that alter or improve a character’s physical body, ..."

[The book will also include quite a useful list of such merits.]
                Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
                Ok the charm says you get (Higher of Essence or 3).

Is that dots or number of merits?
                ...my book just says "It also gains up to (Essence) mutations."

In any case it reads as count of mutations; although not all mutations are created equally.
                Last edited by Greyman; 09-04-2019, 07:20 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greyman View Post
                  ...my book just says "It also gains up to (Essence) mutations."

In any case it reads as count of mutations; although not all mutations are created equally.
                  Look at the sidebar on the next page. I was simplifying.
                  Last edited by JohnDoe244; 09-04-2019, 08:02 AM.

Comment

• It is unfortunately not well defined how SBV works when it comes to mutations, as the strict reading just mentions number of and does not factor in the merit cost of said mutations. It usually ends up falling under ST discretion. My ST went with a ruling that 1-3 dot merits would take up one mutation, while 4-5 dot merits would take up two. That keeps things simple while dealing with the "why don't I just take 5 dot mutations?" problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uknown DarkLord View Post
                      [2.5] What does Sidereal essence look like?
                      I'm not sure I understand the question.

Comment

• Saga Beast Virtue is just poorly written and insufficiently edited (see also: much of the Solar set). There is no way of telling what the intent was, but the interpretation most in line with later, similar effects is the one where your familiar gets (Essence) dots of physical Innate/Purchased Merits.

Comment

• Originally posted by The MG View Post
                          Saga Beast Virtue is just poorly written and insufficiently edited (see also: much of the Solar set). There is no way of telling what the intent was, but the interpretation most in line with later, similar effects is the one where your familiar gets (Essence) dots of physical Innate/Purchased Merits.
                          Which later, similar effects are you referring to?

Comment

• Lunar Charms such as Sharing Luna's Gifts, Beast-Soul Awakening Crucible, and most importantly Chimeric Beast Companion. They all grant mutations, the last one to your familiars, and they all do so dot by dot, capped to a specific value.

Comment

• Originally posted by The MG View Post
                              Lunar Charms such as Sharing Luna's Gifts, Beast-Soul Awakening Crucible, and most importantly Chimeric Beast Companion. They all grant mutations, the last one to your familiars, and they all do so dot by dot, capped to a specific value.
                              Chimeric Beast Companion is giving four dots of mutations on an Essence 2 Charm. It strikes me as unlikely that an Essence 3 Charm is supposed to give fewer dots.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
                                Chimeric Beast Companion is giving four dots of mutations on an Essence 2 Charm. It strikes me as unlikely that an Essence 3 Charm is supposed to give fewer dots.
                                I tend to agree with this. If you want to give it a dot limitation it should be at least 2x Essence and not just Essence.

Unfortunately, Solar Survival charms seem to have been worked on by someone that did not quite understand how the rest of the system tied in to them (especially when it comes to the animal enhancement charms and QCs) and could really use some reworking.

Comment

Working...
                                X