Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Uknown DarkLord View Post

Even if their essence rating is above 1? All encompassing sorcerer's sight wouldn't notice that?

3e AESS is pretty specific about what it does detect: immaterial spirits, the "workings of spirit energies", shaping actions or evocations, the presence of sorcerous effects, and "places where Creation is thin". None of those are the Exalted. I believe the intent of 3e AESS is to give occult experts the ability to notice magical stuff, but to say that the Exalted are more "natural" than things like spirits or sorcery. Also, the 2e version was, frankly, a bit too All-Encompassing - it tended to make effects like Eye of the Unconquered Sun and other disguise-penetrating charms redundant.

Now, I could definitely see a charm in Occult that let you analyze a human's Essence and determine if they're Exalted and, if so, what type they are. As The Wizard of Oz points out, Dragon-Bloods get such an effect, and I don't think that's distinctively elemental or otherwise tied to Dragon-Blooded themes to deny something similar to Solars. I'd put such an effect at Essence 3, with Burning Eye of the Deliverer as the prereq, and make it allow Occult-based Profile Character or Case Scene actions to identify what type of supernatural being someone is or where they've been and used their abilities.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uknown DarkLord View Post

Even if their essence rating is above 1? All encompassing sorcerer's sight wouldn't notice that?
      Baseline, All-Encompassing Sorcerer's Sight focuses specifically on sensing 2 things : sorcery, and supernatural places such as Wyld pockets, Shadowlands or spirit sanctums.

If you upgrade it with Burning Eye of the Deliverer, you can see through an Exalt-level magical disguise such as a Lunar's shapeshifting or their Tell.

If you upgrade it further with Sorcerer's Burning Chakra, then you can sense the Essence ratings of Spirits specifically.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post

Now, I could definitely see a charm in Occult that let you analyze a human's Essence and determine if they're Exalted and, if so, what type they are. As The Wizard of Oz points out, Dragon-Bloods get such an effect, and I don't think that's distinctively elemental or otherwise tied to Dragon-Blooded themes to deny something similar to Solars.
        Dragon Blooded get an effect that lets you retroactively see somebody's blazing anima, a circumstance that requires no supernatural powers to identify them as Exalted.

A Charm that does the thing being absent probably doesn't reflect some kind of authorial intent, I can't imagine it being broken, and it doesn't seem logically inconsistent with the overall capabilities of the Exalted, but it feels somehow off to me.

Something I like about how All-Encompassing Sorcerer's Sight is clarified and focused is that implications before about it and similar powers kind of unveiling the world... it felt a bit too Gnostic in this setting for me. I don't know, I like an idea that the physical is significant enough that supernatural sensory powers won't tend to override it by seeing right past it (in a sense other than literally seeing through obstacles as though they weren't present).

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Do we agree that specialty does not come up in the calculations for Defense (Both Parry and Evasion) ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chausse View Post
            Do we agree that specialty does not come up in the calculations for Defense (Both Parry and Evasion) ?

On the contrary, I've always played it as specialties do add to static values like Defense, if they're applicable. If you've got Specialty (pirate swords) on Melee, and you're wielding a cutlass, I would certainly expect your expertise to contribute to your defense just as much as your offense. Remember that static values are really just the die pools in question, just with the average value taken, rather than having to be rolled all the time.

Comment

• Any applicable specialties add +1 to the calculation before
              dividing by two and rounding up. Thus, an unarmored
              character with Dexterity 3, Dodge 3, and an “Unarmored”
              specialty would have Evasion 4.

From the corebook.

Comment

• I agree with you on the principle, and that it applies for every static value, but everywhere I went to check in the corebook, specialty doesn't seem to come in play for calculating Defense specifically. I checked page 194, Chapter Defense, and it doesn't mention specialty, and reminders on the Character Sheet from the Core Book also do not mention specialty into the calculations. What is making me doubt is that on the Character Sheet, the specialty does come up very explicitly in the calculations for Resolve and Guile, as well as on page 214 of the Core Book detailling Resolve and Guile, which would be inconsistent if it also came up in the calculations of Defense (Parry and Dodge) while being written absolutely nowhere.

Comment

would be inconsistent
                  Something written by Holden is inconsistent? Say it ain't so!

What you are looking for is on page 194.

Originally posted by Page 194
                  Any applicable specialties add +1 to the calculation before dividing by two and rounding up. Thus, an unarmored character with Dexterity 3, Dodge 3, and an “Unarmored” specialty would have Evasion 4.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

• Oh okay so the specialty actually comes up on the calculation but every reminder of the calculation omitted it ... Thanks for your answer.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
                      Something written by Holden is inconsistent? Say it ain't so!
                      To be fair, this kind of thing is probably less inconsistency and more lack of an editor.

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

Oh okay so the specialty actually comes up on the calculation but every reminder of the calculation omitted it ... Thanks for your answer.
                        That's pretty much it, yeah. Specialties tend to get forgotten a lot in stuff about Abilities, tbh.

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                          To be fair, this kind of thing is probably less inconsistency and more lack of an editor.
                          I have the POD corebook, the Deluxe Corebook, the Backer PDF and the Final PDF.

I would pay full price for a well edited Dead-Tree Book. They could call it Exalted 3.5 and it could use actual mechanical system-terms that meant something instead of putting random words in bold italics and pretending the game is Obvious.

Heck, release Extingients as a Fatsplat (oldschool WOD style): reprint all the core rules with errata in the book that tells you how to make custom charms, and actually have a whole game. That'd be neat.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

• People have asked Vance about it, and he basically said that he doesn't think his bosses are going to pay him to spend the time editing it and then rereleasing an errata'd version when they could instead release a new book.

reprint all the core rules with errata in the book that tells you how to make custom charms, and actually have a whole game. That'd be neat.
                            I generally find the core rules to be okay (I mean, a bit overcomplicated, but not in drastic need of editing: I can understand how the rules work). The only thing rules-wise I can think of where the book is written confusingly is what happens when a Battle Group crashes you, and some stuff about Tests of Speed, which according to athletics charms are a thing written up on a certain page, but are... just not.

It's generally the Solar charmset that includes vague stuff that just doesn't quite fit with how the rules work, or is written in a way that's slightly unclear what it does exactly (like that Brawl charm that lets you make an attack against objects with Essence bonus successes, except there's no rules anywhere for attacking objects with attack rolls).

I think there were hints that the Storyteller's Guide (... Chronicles of Legend? Is that the name?) might have some alternate rules for some stuff. That'd probably be a better place to put errata than the Exigents book. But I doubt we'll get much.

To be fair, at this point, there's a ton of "clarification" (ie errata) on the Ask the Devs thread, which is fine for me, but it would help to write it up and put it somewhere. Maybe just a short errata pdf, a lot of companies do that.

Comment

• Does the Realm or any nation in the west have manses built in/on the ocean? A sort of floating station similar to an oil rig maybe?

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                                the Storyteller's Guide (... Chronicles of Legend? Is that the name?)
                                Crucible of Legend.

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

Working...
                                X