Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Kerredai View Post
    Modeling all lies as Instill actions is not satisfying to me
    Agreed.

    I've bumped the two page thread where we discussed this last time. Can we please keep this to Qs & As?


    Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

    Comment


    • Don't you start making me doubt about something when I had finally come to an agreement about how to deal with this !

      Actually I think your points are legit. It seems extremely weird to me to need an extremely factual intimacy in order to do a persuade action. I mean, if someone had the Principle "The forest must stay pure", and the player wanted that guy to go kill the witch in the forest because she is desecrating it, I wouldn't feel like making a whole intimacy about the witch. Only because I knew the player is lying I would try to have a dramatic action where the guy tries to uncover the lie of the player, but if he was bot lying I wouldn't bother with that because, there is an evil witch in the forest, you want to keep the forest pure, go do your job. If I couldn't use "The forest must stay pure" as an intimacy this way, this would mean to me this is a very boring intimacy because in simple cases like this I cant leverage it to make actions and I would actually need another whole intimacy of the same level

      Comment


      • Last word of this from me on this thread, but I think the roll to overcome resolve includes being convincing enough to be believable. To quote "A character who is resisting with resolve means they are resistant to or skeptical about the influence." If they have a defining intimacy of trust for you, and a defining intimacy of hatred for witches, you don't need a roll to say "lets go kill some witches." it's just something they desperately want to do anyway.

        A character who has 20 successes on a persuade roll is to deception what a Solar atomizing a fortress wall with a single sword swing is to swordsmanship. You can even lie to somebody with a minor intimacy of "I hate how apples taste." and get them to bite an apple anyway by saying "No, this is an pentushi-apple. It looks the same but it actually tastes completely different." It's a bold faced lie and they have no idea who you are, but god damn you're just so pretty it's intoxicating, and you seem so earnest in your words, and just so long as it doesn't taste like a damn apple...and then you spit out the big hunk of apple you just bit and instantly get an intimacy of mistrust for this person, but they still tricked you.


        Again though, orichalcum rule. Anyone who's being a putrid little weasel in game in a way that ruins the fun for other players, and remember the Storyteller is also a player, then it's no go. If they want to be a deceptive little trickster-god of a Solar they should be doing it in ways that the rest of their circle enjoys and doesn't cause the campaign to collapse.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Kerredai View Post
          Modeling all lies as Instill actions is not satisfying to me, because not all lies are intended to make a long-lasting change in your interlocutor's beliefs.
          I'm not sure if you were responding to me, but I just wanted to note that I'm not advocating that all lies be modeled as Instill attempts. Rather, what I'm saying is that factual information requires sufficiently strong Intimacies to support them, and if that doesn't already exist, it will need to be Instilled. So if you're just trying to pass the guard at the Nexus docks, and saying "I'm just a humble trader, ma'am", you probably don't need to Instill anything, because she probably doesn't have any Intimacies that would run counter to that information. I also tend to assume that most people have an implicit Intimacy of at least Minor strength towards things like "don't cause trouble for myself", which nicely supports lies like "I'm just a normal person, no need to put yourself out by searching me".

          Comment


          • Question. A Moonshadow diplomatic envoy of a deathlord arrives at the gates of Whitewall. Revealing their caste mark. Do the Syndics permit the Moonshadow and delegation to enter the city? Or force them to stay outside the city walls except when called upon?

            Either way of course their every act is going to be watched and scrutinized.

            Just wondering what is the most likely scenario.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Uknown DarkLord View Post
              Question. A Moonshadow diplomatic envoy of a deathlord arrives at the gates of Whitewall. Revealing their caste mark. Do the Syndics permit the Moonshadow and delegation to enter the city? Or force them to stay outside the city walls except when called upon?
              Are they there on legitimate business? Is the Deathlord one that’s nearby? Have they heard of them? Dealt with them before?

              Comment


              • Well thanks everyone for the conversation.

                I know I asked already but I'm not sure people read it since there was a whole discussion on another topic (or just dont like the subject lol)

                Another question : This year I'd like to do a campaign with possible mixed solar/lunar, with maximum 3 players, on a city boat travelling the Dreaming Sea. What themes seem cool to you to exploit if there can be at least 1 Solar and 1 Lunar ?

                For the moment I'm thinking : Solar/lunar bond, Civil war in the boat, Great monstrosity in the sea, Strange otherwordly travels (Pirates of the Carribean style), Conflict of interest between the Silver Pact and your friend, Confront huge merchant organisations, Discovering the mysteries of the city.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Chausse View Post
                  Well thanks everyone for the conversation.

                  I know I asked already but I'm not sure people read it since there was a whole discussion on another topic (or just dont like the subject lol)

                  Another question : This year I'd like to do a campaign with possible mixed solar/lunar, with maximum 3 players, on a city boat travelling the Dreaming Sea. What themes seem cool to you to exploit if there can be at least 1 Solar and 1 Lunar ?

                  For the moment I'm thinking : Solar/lunar bond, Civil war in the boat, Great monstrosity in the sea, Strange otherwordly travels (Pirates of the Carribean style), Conflict of interest between the Silver Pact and your friend, Confront huge merchant organisations, Discovering the mysteries of the city.
                  If the presence of both Solars & Lunars is an important feature of the game, then you could explore all the different ways a Solar and Lunar can be connected. Have a Solar/Lunar couple who are friends, another who are rivals, one where the Solar is corrupted and the Lunar has to deal with that, one where they are lovers across the ages except one of them is already in a relationship when they find each other. That sort of thing.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                    Are they there on legitimate business?
                    Yes

                    Is the Deathlord one that’s nearby?
                    Yes.

                    Have they heard of them?
                    Yes/probably.

                    Dealt with them before?
                    No.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Epitome View Post

                      If the presence of both Solars & Lunars is an important feature of the game, then you could explore all the different ways a Solar and Lunar can be connected. Have a Solar/Lunar couple who are friends, another who are rivals, one where the Solar is corrupted and the Lunar has to deal with that, one where they are lovers across the ages except one of them is already in a relationship when they find each other. That sort of thing.
                      Yeah I was thinking about this part a lot when I made my first solar campaign but I was a bit disappointed with the lack of support in the core to play an interesting bond so I had to create everything myself.

                      I was wondering, I havent read them yet but I believe there are more rules about the bond in the Lunar playbook, do you think they are transferable to Solar in order to give them a little more substance concerning the bond ?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Uknown DarkLord View Post
                        Yes Yes. Yes/probably. No.
                        Then the way I see it, the Abyssal is something of an unknown entity. The city’s wall has a protective enchantment on it that stops creatures of darkness from entering without being invited, so if they let them stay outside the city, the Abyssal is much more limited in how they can make mischief if the Abyssal is so inclined.

                        One option for the Syndics might be to have a talk with them outside, where they judge whether or not to permit the Abyssal entry. And if it seems dicey, maybe have the Abyssal swear an oath with their Moonshadow powers.

                        Another thing to consider is the season. The lands beyond the walls of Whitewall are much more hospitable in the middle of summer than they are on the winter solstice.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Chausse View Post

                          Yeah I was thinking about this part a lot when I made my first solar campaign but I was a bit disappointed with the lack of support in the core to play an interesting bond so I had to create everything myself.

                          I was wondering, I havent read them yet but I believe there are more rules about the bond in the Lunar playbook, do you think they are transferable to Solar in order to give them a little more substance concerning the bond ?
                          Lunars get their bond stuff through Charms. Either by giving a bonus effect to a Charm if the target is your Solar mate, or outright by having a Charm that requires a Solar mate to do anything. For instance they have a silent communication Charm which can grant permanent telepathy with your Solar mate, and they have Charms to grant Evocations to their Solar mate's Artifact and to use said Artifact as though they were attuned and resonant with it.

                          So you could probably give such bond effects to Solar Charms or create Solar bond Charms. You just need to be careful about balance if both the Solar and the Lunar are able to empower the same thing through the bond.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                            Then the way I see it, the Abyssal is something of an unknown entity. The city’s wall has a protective enchantment on it that stops creatures of darkness from entering without being invited, so if they let them stay outside the city, the Abyssal is much more limited in how they can make mischief if the Abyssal is so inclined.
                            I thought the enchantment prevented ghosts and fae. Not any creature of darkness. Ghostblooded and Abyssals are still alive, so I thought the enchantment doesn't apply to them.

                            Edit:
                            THE POWER OF THE WALL
                            The city wall has 14L/20B soak and 50/100
                            health levels (see Exalted, pp. 153–154). The powers
                            of ghosts, demons, Fair Folk and other creatures of
                            darkness cannot affect them in any way, and these
                            creatures cannot cross the wall to enter the city un-
                            less invited in. For instance, if a nemissary had itself
                            flung over the wall by catapult (yes, it’s been tried),
                            the corpse it possesses would follow its trajectory and
                            splat on a street or building, but the ghost would find
                            itself ejected from the corpse in midair. Tunneling
                            under the wall doesn’t help, either: The ban extends
                            below the surface, too. Only a citizen—a person who
                            sincerely considers Whitewall her home—can issue a
                            valid invitation of ingress.
                            Looks like I was mistaken.
                            Last edited by Uknown DarkLord; 09-14-2019, 10:23 AM.

                            Comment


                            • So I have a question for you about the flow of social scenes.

                              Early on when we didn't have a lot of experience when we started my first campaign of Exalted 3e, the social scenes we did were a bit "all out", where everyone rolled almost every sentence they said in character, but 1) It was a bit heavy systemically, 2) It made characters go from believing something strongly to believe the absolute contrary on an even stronger level at the end of she scene, and 3) It was very hard to have a sense of who should be speaking when because player sociability does rarely represent character sociability and it went often a bit unbalanced for some characters.

                              So I basically decided to try another formula for my last campaign, which proved successfull on some parts and less successfull on other parts, where usually people would discuss the matter at hand, usually only one character would have a change of trying a social action about a specific topic to another, which is usually rolled close to the end of the scene, and I would rarely allow more than a handful of rolls from everyone to avoid spending an hour doing just rolls. It bettered a bit "the flow" of the scenes, where players could actually concentrate more on the RP and less on the "I try to raise this intimacy and then lower this intimacy and then ...", but I also feel it does not respect the intended flow and functionning of the social system, with a lot of Charms that are clearly meant to be used a lot in social scenes, or in the middle of them, or that forwards a more "dynamic" type of scene (when people roll a lot and often).

                              What are your experiences on this matter ? Do you have advices to give or caveats you would warn me about ?

                              Comment


                              • Sorry if its been asked before, but I just got my hands on What Fire Has Wrought and it looks like the Dragon Blooded don't have a martial arts excellency? What's up with that? Did I miss it? Or do they really not have one?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X