Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aranfan View Post
    Sorry if its been asked before, but I just got my hands on What Fire Has Wrought and it looks like the Dragon Blooded don't have a martial arts excellency? What's up with that? Did I miss it? Or do they really not have one?

The Brawl Excellency is also the MA one. Become The Hammer.

Comment

• Okay, so I just missed it. Phew.

Comment

• A thing I'm realizing. Let's say that your character is a child/ teenager. Let's say she's still in school. Doesn't that mean that all her abilities are in 1s, save for those needed for normal life, and all her attributes are average? I mean, its not like they are 'on the level of trained professionals' in anything yet, that's why they're still studying...

Comment

• Depends on age.

For a kid? Yes. That's why PCs generally aren't kids, unless they're child prodigies or something.

My characters:
          Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
          Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
          Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

• Yeah think Shikaaru from Naruto (Is that his name ? I don't remember). Be a genius in one field and do it like you have 20 years of experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
              Depends on age.

For a kid? Yes. That's why PCs generally aren't kids, unless they're child prodigies or something.
              Damn.

Hmm..... well, this is awkward. Maybe I"ll have to rewrite a few things.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aranfan View Post
                Sorry if its been asked before, but I just got my hands on What Fire Has Wrought and it looks like the Dragon Blooded don't have a martial arts excellency? What's up with that? Did I miss it? Or do they really not have one?
                The Brawl Excellency works with MAs.

Edit: whoops missed the next page

Comment

• Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
                  A thing I'm realizing. Let's say that your character is a child/ teenager. Let's say she's still in school. Doesn't that mean that all her abilities are in 1s, save for those needed for normal life, and all her attributes are average? I mean, its not like they are 'on the level of trained professionals' in anything yet, that's why they're still studying...
                  Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                  Depends on age.

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
                  Damn.

Hmm..... well, this is awkward. Maybe I"ll have to rewrite a few things.
                  First Edition Chronicles of Darkness has similar descriptions added to the Skill levels, so when World of Darkness Innocents was providing rules for dedicated chronicles with preadolescent characters, it just have different descriptions to each of the levels (as well as locking the higher levels behind a Merit), with some advice on little touches for resolving conflict between them or otherwise comparing them.

That said, Exalted is probably a game where genre conceits afford the occasional child with some higher dice pools when they're a subject of focus, even though the majority probably aren't very high.

But on the other hand, the difficulty scale is shady bit an objective measurement of all actions in the setting, as has been thoroughly discussed in the past, so a child character rolling give successes can always be described in different terms then an adult doing the same.

I think it really depends on the specific intentions, and an all-purpose generic template will not suffice.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                  Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Yeah, that was my point about prodigies; if you're playing a 10 year-old Twilight, maybe you've been Exalted because you're a child genius. Celestials are chosen because they're atypical, so it's fine for your 12 year-old martial arts prodigy to have Tiger Style 5.

There's some other stuff I don't agree with... but I don't want to rehash that argument because I don't think either of us are going to change our minds.

Anyhow. My question is:
                    Can Air Aspects use their Air Anima to channel intimacies on Join Battle? If not, why not?

My characters:
                    Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
                    Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
                    Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

• One thing you could do to model kids without completely restricting character building is to lock off higher attributes for for dot allocation but let them be bought with bonus points, like abilities are in the standard chargen. And maybe you could also lower the bar on how many ability dots you can get without bp too.

So like, you can get to 5/5 but it's expensive and you can have maybe 1 or 2 things at that level.
                      Last edited by Elfive; 09-15-2019, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Can Air Aspects use their Air Anima to channel intimacies on Join Battle? If not, why not?
                        I think they can - Join Battle is a mental action (since it's based on Wits, one of the mental attributes), and it's non-extended. I think the trickiest part would be arguing that Joining Battle counted as upholding a Principle. I would only permit that if the Principle was specifically about not being surprised, or winning fights, or maybe if it covered specifically fighting whoever you're Joining Battle against. But if you have a Principle of "My honor is my life!", and you're challenged to a duel over a matter of honor, I probably wouldn't allow channeling that on Join Battle, because winning Join Battle doesn't really have any bearing on your honor.

But I don't think it's unbalanced to allow the Air Aspects to do this, since it's only once per day, and, at most, 4 non-charm dice, which in turn requires a Defining Principle that applies. That's going to restrict their actions all on its own.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post

I think they can - Join Battle is a mental action (since it's based on Wits, one of the mental attributes), and it's non-extended. I think the trickiest part would be arguing that Joining Battle counted as upholding a Principle. I would only permit that if the Principle was specifically about not being surprised, or winning fights, or maybe if it covered specifically fighting whoever you're Joining Battle against. But if you have a Principle of "My honor is my life!", and you're challenged to a duel over a matter of honor, I probably wouldn't allow channeling that on Join Battle, because winning Join Battle doesn't really have any bearing on your honor.

But I don't think it's unbalanced to allow the Air Aspects to do this, since it's only once per day, and, at most, 4 non-charm dice, which in turn requires a Defining Principle that applies. That's going to restrict their actions all on its own.
                          I feel like a principal of "never be surprised" is pretty meta gamey and the player who wants to take it better have a REALLY good character concept that supports it or they should get a nose thwack with a rolled up newspaper.

Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

Comment

• Originally posted by Chausse View Post
                            So I have a question for you about the flow of social scenes.

Early on when we didn't have a lot of experience when we started my first campaign of Exalted 3e, the social scenes we did were a bit "all out", where everyone rolled almost every sentence they said in character, but 1) It was a bit heavy systemically, 2) It made characters go from believing something strongly to believe the absolute contrary on an even stronger level at the end of she scene, and 3) It was very hard to have a sense of who should be speaking when because player sociability does rarely represent character sociability and it went often a bit unbalanced for some characters.

So I basically decided to try another formula for my last campaign, which proved successfull on some parts and less successfull on other parts, where usually people would discuss the matter at hand, usually only one character would have a change of trying a social action about a specific topic to another, which is usually rolled close to the end of the scene, and I would rarely allow more than a handful of rolls from everyone to avoid spending an hour doing just rolls.
                            Personally, I find that social scenes work best when the rolls happen at a rate somewhere between what you've described: definitely not one every sentence, but also more frequently than once or twice an hour as well. I let an argument run its course, including reasonable supporting arguments, then roll the dice. A good rule of thumb is that once one side or the other starts repeating points, it's time to roll. I also use the Attribute you use to make the roll to estimate how long it takes: Appearance is the quickest one, usually only taking a few moments, since it's based on visuals and first impressions, Charisma might take a minute or two to let your force of personality do its thing, and Manipulation can take 10 minutes or more while you carefully build up a supporting case. Note that that's more about timing in the setting, though, rather than pacing at the table, since it's often possible to describe all three types of social influence in roughly the same time. Read Intentions actions I generally allow to overlap - that is, you can make multiple Read Intentions actions based on one interaction, if multiple pieces of information have been raised. I also assume that the stronger an Intimacy is, the less time in-setting it will generally take to uncover it. 1 minute is sufficient for a Defining Intimacy, 5-10 minutes will do for a Major, and 15-30 minutes might be required for a Minor. That's flexible, though, and overridden if someone deliberately brings a topic up.

So, for some examples, let's return to our scenario of the farmer, his dead wife, and the witch we want him to attack. The tasks to do will be to Instill a Minor Intimacy of trust towards us in the farmer, Read his Intentions to figure out which Intimacies he has, and then Persuade him to attack the witch based on whatever Defining Intimacy he's got.

We start the scene coming down the road towards the farmer's yard, where he's doing chores for the end of the day. We're assuming the guise of just a humble traveler. We wave to the farmer, and he waves back, suggesting that he's not adverse to some interaction. Starting with the initial Instill, we're going to be using Presence no matter what, but the Attribute chosen defines the approach. If it's Appearance, it's quick and obvious: "As I come up to the fence and wave him over, I smile openly and honestly, radiating trustworthyness." If it's Charisma, it might take a bit longer: "I engage the farmer in conversation, explaining that I'm just a traveler in these parts, all the while acting a little bit simple, but above all, honest." Manipulation takes the longest time. "Over the next few minutes, I'll chat with the farmer, casually bringing up the fact that I passed through the town a while back, and some of the people I met there, implying I've already had positive interactions with his friends and neighbors". No matter which approach we use, the farmer's not an idiot, so he makes a Read Intentions roll at this point, but it fails to overcome our Guile, and he doesn't realize we have ulterior motives, and our own roll is successful, and the Intimacy is formed. The farmer's a generous sort, so that's enough for him to invite us to have supper there, so no need to make a separate Persuade or Bargain action to convince him to talk longer.

Over supper, we engage him in conversation. (If the farmer had been a reticent sort, some sort of roll might have been in order to get him talking, either a Persuade (playing on his Intimacy towards you) to convince him to open up, or perhaps an Inspire roll to create an emotion of "openness" or "chattiness".) He brings up his late wife on his own fairly quickly, so we have a pretty good guess that's a strong Intimacy, but we drop a few things in conversation to make sure we know what he feels about them: asking him how his wife died, and about how he knows what happened, mentioning the nearby village's inhabitants, and finally bringing up the witch. After chatting for a half-hour, we make a series of Read Intentions rolls, determining his Intimacies towards his wife (Defining, "Mournful love"), the healer who told him she died of illness (Minor, "Respect"), the village headwoman (Major, "Never steered me wrong"), and the witch (Minor "Distant fear").

Now, we have what we need. We mention that, while we were in the village earlier, we heard the headwoman talking about how the witch has been killing people and making it look like illness. The farmer, of course, sees the implications and reacts with shock. At this point, he should make another Read Intentions roll on us, since this is a big deal, but once again our Guile is too good, and he believes us to be telling the truth. Now, we act concerned and upset for our "new friend". We bring up the idea of taking revenge on the witch. The farmer protests that he's a peaceful man, never raised a hand in anger to anyone. We counter by pointing out how much he obviously loved his wife, and isn't she worth avenging? The farmer asks how he would do it, and we offer at least a basic plan. The farmer has no other objections that wouldn't just be repeating the existing ones, so now we roll the Persuade action. Assuming success, the farmer hardens his expression and says he will set out tonight. We hide our smile of satisfaction, and nod somberly, telling him he's doing the right thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by armyofwhispers View Post

I feel like a principal of "never be surprised" is pretty meta gamey and the player who wants to take it better have a REALLY good character concept that supports it or they should get a nose thwack with a rolled up newspaper.

"Never be surprised" is probably too meta, yeah, but I could see a paranoid character having a principle along the lines of "Letting my guard down is a betrayal of everyone who depends on me". It can be leveraged positively for things like this pretty easily, but I can think of lots of ways to leverage it against the character too, both socially and in terms of things like violating it, so I don't think it's unreasonable.

Comment

If the impetus to Join Battle is in defense of a principle, then I'd say so. Like if you had a principle "Knowledge must be preserved." and somebody was going to burn down the library you could Join Battle to defend it with that principle. It can't be a tie either, so defending your allies doesn't work unless you also have a principle about defending allies in need, not just ties to those specific allies.

Comment

Working...
                                X