Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chausse View Post
    I think I decided to do this in order to represent things I like in drama, and that I rarely found in games other than Exalted : Good people at odds because they have purposes that drive them to not understand each other, or worse, to understand they will have to face each other, despite all efforts.
    I don’t think that’s something you have to give up. There are some people with multiple defining intimacies that make them completely at odds with eachother, even if they individually might not be so bad. If your players are Solars and they’re messing about anywhere near the Realm they’re going to have a pretty big hurdle to overcome already keeping their identity a secret or having to deal with people that think they’re face-stealing demons, depending on the exact area. It just doesn’t have to be everyone. There’s places in the game that are set up specifically to be nearing the edge of a big change and just need a group of people to come and push them in the right direction.

Utahi, the satrapy, for example has an ancient custom of a Great Hero, one who could rally the entire nation. To become this great hero you must stand before a council of families and tell them of your great deeds and spirit, and if you are deemed worthy they select you. That really doesn’t need to use the social system, you don’t need to play off their intimacies to persuade them if your worthiness, so long as you’ve done deeds actually worthy of their high standards. They don’t need to be convinced by your powerful charisma, they’re convinced by the awesome nature of your actions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uknown DarkLord
      is the whole city treated as having the temple manse feature where essence and willpower cannot be regained within it?
      The idea of not being able to recover Willpower, stretched over an entire city? That sounds genuinely nightmarish.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chausse View Post

I overall appreciate your description, and I quoted the part that appeared the more "problematic". Doing 4 rolls of read intentions in a row is a bit heavy, and today I'd generally at best 2 consecutively.
        Yeah, that would definitely be a lot in a row. I'd be amenable to houseruling that one Read Intentions can uncover multiple Intimacies. Offhand, I'd let people uncover another Intimacy for every (Guile) successes they got. So if the farmer has Guile 2, and we roll 8 successes, that's all four Intimacies right there.

Originally posted by Chausse
        The thing is, usually when my players see anyone, they are drown to try to Instill in them any positive intimacy because it might serve them later, which is fine, but sometimes become a bit dull because you have to handle NPCs that have multiple intimacies toward PCs, have been inspired by their last dance in the emotion of love/hate/whatever, and been persuaded to take X action, and ... well before I reduced the quantity of rolls in social scenes I was a bit overwhelmed.
        I find that the best way to handle this is to try to think of the NPC as a person first, game mechanics second. The system can stand a fair bit of fudging, really. If you think of the farmer as having four Intimacies, it can get a bit confusing, yeah. Whereas if you think of him as "a guy who loves his dead wife more than anything, trusts the local authorities pretty well, and is a decent fellow overall", I think it's easier to keep track of.

Also, DrLoveMonkey's advice about not needing to roll for a lot is very good. People naturally form Intimacies towards others without any active attempts on the part of the other people. And such Intimacies don't really need a great deal of context, either, I'd say. Just note down (if you think it will come up again, it doesn't have to!) that an NPC has a positive or negative Intimacy towards the PC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
          And such Intimacies don't really need a great deal of context, either, I'd say. Just note down (if you think it will come up again, it doesn't have to!) that an NPC has a positive or negative Intimacy towards the PC.
          Actually come to think of it that might be kind of good advice for your players too. If they go into somebody’s home and see that they have a painting of their nation’s queen hanging above the fireplace, they might be able to tentatively note an intimacy of respect for her without needing to Read Intentions. It’s less of a sure thing, but you didn’t need to roll to overcome guile either.

Some basic conversation might also just reveal that, just in the way they talk about her.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
            Actually come to think of it that might be kind of good advice for your players too. If they go into somebody’s home and see that they have a painting of their nation’s queen hanging above the fireplace, they might be able to tentatively note an intimacy of respect for her without needing to Read Intentions.
            Oh, for sure. I feel that if, after a few minutes of conversation, the players don't have at least a solid guess at an NPC's Defining and probably Major Intimacies, you're not really playing them very effectively. You don't need to confirm an Intimacy to try to use it, confirming it is just playing it safe.

Comment

Oh, for sure. I feel that if, after a few minutes of conversation, the players don't have at least a solid guess at an NPC's Defining and probably Major Intimacies, you're not really playing them very effectively.
              Well, unless you’re playing the character as being on their guard and hard to read, which seems reasonable for a high-Guile character.

Comment

Oh, for sure. I feel that if, after a few minutes of conversation, the players don't have at least a solid guess at an NPC's Defining and probably Major Intimacies, you're not really playing them very effectively. You don't need to confirm an Intimacy to try to use it, confirming it is just playing it safe.
                Oh yeah, that’ll depend on the specific NPC too. If every time you mention Wullerton every local instinctively spits on the ground that’s a pretty easy guess, but if you’re meeting with a particularly guarded diplomat or stonefaced ascetic monk then that’s when your Socialize Supernal Solar pours out her motepool and looks into their souls.

Agggh ninja’d by Alucard.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                  Well, unless you’re playing the character as being on their guard and hard to read, which seems reasonable for a high-Guile character.
                  Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post

Oh yeah, that’ll depend on the specific NPC too.
                  Yes, fair enough, perhaps saying that every character should reveal their biggest Intimacies quickly is too broad. Still, I'd say that such guarded characters should be the exception, rather than the rule. Also, if a character is that guarded, it's probably reasonable to give them a Principle or something along the lines of "Revealing my true self is dangerous", which a player can reasonably guess at. Now, admittedly, such an Intimacy can be difficult to leverage, at least positively, but it's not impossible. Anyway, my overall point is, if the majority of the NPCs the ST puts in the game are guarded, poker-faced sorts who reveal nothing, it ends up encouraging the social characters to automatically use Read Intentions all the time anyway. If you want to avoid having a lot of rolls like that, let the majority of NPCs reveal at least some Intimacies through their behavior, and save the guarded sorts for suitable situations.

Comment

• So I'm looking at the craft charms in What Fire Has Wrought, and they don't seem to have enough oomph to actually make a warstrider, but the Shogunate is supposed to have made some on occasion. Has someone math'd it out to see if it's actually possible? Or what?

Comment

• Originally posted by Aranfan View Post
                      So I'm looking at the craft charms in What Fire Has Wrought, and they don't seem to have enough oomph to actually make a warstrider, but the Shogunate is supposed to have made some on occasion. Has someone math'd it out to see if it's actually possible? Or what?
                      Arms of the Chosen has a 5 dot Warstrider which was canonically crafted by a team of Dragon-Blooded artificers so clearly it's supposed to be possible in the Lore.

I don't know how the numbers stack up, but it wouldn't surprise me if Dragonblooded were unable to craft 5 dot artifacts baseline and needed Craft-enhancing Artifacts to manage it (the lore for that warstrider in Arms actually mentions the Dragon-Blooded scoured Creation for ancient relics in order to build the Warstrider). So you would craft yourself a 4 dot Hammer of Craftiness and then you would be able to make your warstrider.
                      Last edited by Epitome; 09-16-2019, 10:57 PM.

Comment

• A thing to remember with 3e Charm rules is they're written in part to be reflective and used in games set in the current era. They don't represent the entirety of what an Exalt can do, nor are meant to be able to replicate what they could have done in the past. It's not a matter that the DBs coudln't do it, it's that the system isn't interested in representing the way it was done in the Shogunate in the modern day.

And stuff.
                        My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

• Originally posted by Aranfan View Post
                          So I'm looking at the craft charms in What Fire Has Wrought, and they don't seem to have enough oomph to actually make a warstrider, but the Shogunate is supposed to have made some on occasion. Has someone math'd it out to see if it's actually possible? Or what?
                          It's doable. If you have some big mix of max stats, full excellency, stunt, willpower, Flawless Facet Realization, the Essence 5 Strike the Dragon-Anvil, Eternal Omphalos Forge, and Blazing Dragon-Smith Arete, a Twice-Striking Lightning Prism, and Bracers of Universal Crafting, Arete the Orichalcum hand, . If you have all of that you should make it by a decent margin. There could also well be things I'm not thinking of, one major one is almost certainly a crafting manse that would help out.

Comment

Eternal Omphalos Forge, Blazing Dragon-Smith Arete
                            Unfortunately, both are Simple charms activated when you commence a project. So you cannot use them simultaneously. (Drat.)

…a Twice-Striking Lightning Prism...
                            A what now... Ooh! Yes. A Greater Hearthstone of Air, to increase Essence rating for calculations such as Blazing Dragon-Smith Arete. Nice one! Oh, Flawless Facet Realization too; I overlooked that charm because its prerequisite cannot be used on artifacts… but it looks okay.
                            ...Bracers of Universal Crafting...
                            Well, they would be usefull if you can convince the Storyteller that for a craft roll to end the project, precision matters more than strength. But I am sure you can stunt one or two.
                            ...Arete (the Orichalcum Hand)...
                            [edit:]Ops, no. The Mudra of Perfected Skill evocation cannot be used on Craft rolls while creating artifacts or manses. so neither can the Composure in Excellence which is triggered by its result. Uh, better put that scalpel away.[/edit]
                            ...almost certainly a crafting manse that would help out...
                            Sure, if we knew what one could do. But some Craft Evocations would be sweet. Well, at the very least, exceptional equipment will provide a +1 bonus to all rolls made when using it.
                            Last edited by Greyman; 09-17-2019, 06:09 AM.

Comment

• So. using a Twice Striking Lighning Prism, Bracers of Universal Crafting, and a workshop with exceptional equipment, a Dragon Blood sorcerer-crafter having
                              • Essence 5,
                              • Intelligence 5,
                              • Craft (First Age Artifice) 5,
                              • an appropriate Speciality,
                              • +1 non-charm dice from exceptional equipment.
                              • +6 charm dice from the Excellency,
                              • +6 non-charm bonus dice with Blazing Dragon-Smith Arete,
                              • ^ which also allows roll a non-charm die for each 10 (expect 0.1 additional die for each die rolled)
                              • ^ but lowers the terminus by 1 (to 5)
                              • rerolling 6 non-1 failures from Flawless Facet Realisation (expect 0.5 rerolls for..calculation complicated, ignoring for now).
                              • double 8s from Strike The Dragon Anvil (expects 0.7 successes on each die rolled)
                              • maybe add 4 dice for rolls involving fine manipulation
                              Rolls 24 dice (sometimes 28) plus 1 die for each result of 10, rerolling up to 6 non-1 failures, and doubling 8s.

For an extended roll with difficulty 5, goal number 100, and terminus 5,

Might manage not to waste 2 years if they can pull off some cool stunts during the process.

So, it is doable in theory, but quite rarely going to happen due to lack of essence 5 craft-sorcerers. As appropriate for the setting lore.
                              Last edited by Greyman; 09-17-2019, 06:43 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greyman View Post
                                So. using a Twice Striking Lighning Prism, Bracers of Universal Crafting, and a workshop with exceptional equipment, a Dragon Blood sorcerer-crafter having
                                • Essence 5,
                                • Intelligence 5,
                                • Craft (First Age Artifice) 5,
                                • an appropriate Speciality,
                                • +1 non-charm dice from exceptional equipment.
                                • +6 charm dice from the Excellency,
                                • +6 non-charm bonus dice with Blazing Dragon-Smith Arete,
                                • ^ which also allows roll a non-charm die for each 10 (expect 0.1 additional die for each die rolled)
                                • ^ but lowers the terminus by 1 (to 5)
                                • rerolling 6 non-1 failures from Flawless Facet Realisation (expect 0.5 rerolls for..calculation complicated, ignoring for now).
                                • double 8s from Strike The Dragon Anvil (expects 0.7 successes on each die rolled)
                                • maybe add 4 dice for rolls involving fine manipulation
                                Rolls 24 dice (sometimes 28) plus 1 die for each result of 10, rerolling up to 6 non-1 failures, and doubling 8s.

For an extended roll with difficulty 5, goal number 100, and terminus 5,

Might manage not to waste 2 years if they can pull off some cool stunts during the process.

So, it is doable in theory, but quite rarely going to happen due to lack of essence 5 craft-sorcerers. As appropriate for the setting lore.

Hmm, if blazing dragon-smith arete only gives 6 non charm bonus dice, wouldn't Eternal Omphalos Forge be more effective? Two more rolls with 20ish dice with double 8s is nothing to sneeze at. Then again, that's six dice per roll being lost.

Comment

Working...
                                X